Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost 4 Years in, should any maintenance be done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested break fluid, it passed, I check tire tread depth every few months, its also fine. I have 20k miles over nearly 4 years on Model Y LR. Roads arent salted here (Southern California). I replaced the cabin filters at 2 years and will do again once 4 years hits... I replaced the 12V battery at 2 years.

Other than that, is there any other maintenance that needs to be done? I think no? But I am feeling very nervous about not doing maintenance for so long after driving ICE for decades and having to do regular at least check up on those. Tesla still uses things like coolants and oils, and springs and rubber and other things that wear out and get brittle/worn from the elements....

Tesla used to do a maintenance check every 2 years I think, but they stopped doing that?

I tested break fluid, it passed, I check tire tread depth every few months, its also fine. I have 20k miles over nearly 4 years on Model Y LR. Roads arent salted here (Southern California). I replaced the cabin filters at 2 years and will do again once 4 years hits... I replaced the 12V battery at 2 years.

Other than that, is there any other maintenance that needs to be done? I think no? But I am feeling very nervous about not doing maintenance for so long after driving ICE for decades and having to do regular at least check up on those. Tesla still uses things like coolants and oils, and springs and rubber and other things that wear out and get brittle/worn from the elements....

Tesla used to do a maintenance check every 2 years I think, but they stopped doing that?
Without checking the manual, as I recall you may want to confirm your brake caliper pins aren't hanging up/lube them. And have you been rotating your tires every 7500 or so? Otherwise, aside from checking your washer fluid and changing out your wiper blades you should be OK. Lots less failure opportunities on these!

Reactions: GSP and Pricedm
Without checking the manual, as I recall you may want to confirm your brake caliper pins aren't hanging up/lube them. And have you been rotating your tires every 7500 or so? Otherwise, aside from checking your washer fluid and changing out your wiper blades you should be OK. Lots less failure opportunities on these!
Is there a guide somewhere on how to check the pins on brake calipers? And no I havent rotated tires yet since its AWD and wear seems to be very even across sides and front/back.

Reactions: GSP and zoomer0056
Is there a guide somewhere on how to check the pins on brake calipers? And no I havent rotated tires yet since its AWD and wear seems to be very even across sides and front/back.
Here's a link to the actual owners manual maintenance section - you shouldn't have to worry about the brakes in your area.

And I'm surprised your wear is even after 20K as normally the rears wear more than the fronts. You may still want to consider going to Discount Tire and getting them rotated and balanced. I understand some locations charge a small fee although the one I go to in Tucson does it all for free.

Reactions: GSP and Pricedm
@Chrushev those seem to be the main wear/ maintenance items to check.

FYI on my 10/2018 Model 3 LR DM (now at 34k) my maintenance schedule is :
* changed brake fluid (used DOT 4) 7/2022. Kinda slacked on this by a year but fluid was ok. Easy DIY using a Motive bleeder.
* Tesla brake maintenace procedure (remove brake pads, inspect, teflon lube caliper pins, wire brush all hardware (wear a mask/respirator!)
* rotate tires (front to back) every 5k
* replace cabin air filter every 1-2 years and use Kool-it to clean evaporative coils. As a habit, I run the hvac system without AC last few minutes of the drive to dry out system (might help with the odor issue)

I think you're right on with your maintenance. Checking stuff is the first important thing to do!

Too much personal info on this invoice. Should not bare all like this on the internet.
This info is all over the Internet with all the hacks out there. 3 TMobile hacks for one. EVERY company that dumps their mainframes for Windows/Unix servers is asking for a world of HURT. Did you read the article where the FBI and Interpol cleaned 700000 computers of bots throughout the world without the user's knowledge?
And they seized 8M in cryptocurrency. So as I tell my wife the personal info is all over the Internet. Tesla was hacked by internal people.
Suffolk County here on Long Island was hacked and it took them MONTHS to get people property taxes, other gov't docs working again.. And who did they hire to investigate. The dopes who installed their "security". So, no, I'm not worried about the info I posted. EVERYONE has it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the invoice. Here is a less private version if you want to delete the original:

6Zgvars.png

Interesting that they didnt do the caliper/pin clean/lube.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Daekwan
How do I do that?
Click edit post.. then choose delete.

Thanks for sharing though. FYI a ton of this stuff is simple to do yourself.. including the air filters. I bought the filters off Amazon for $25 and a $13 bottle of Kool-It to kill the mildew and moisture in the system. Took me about 30 minutes. Tesla charged you $64.25 for that alone. Tire rotations are super easy and also take about 30 minutes (15 minutes per side). Finally, $60 to change two wiper blades.. grab a couple at Costco for $10 each and do it yourself in the Costco parking lot if you want it's so easy.. I guess it takes 5 mins. You can search for all this stuff on YouTube and knock it all out in an hour or so on any given day.

Brake calipers/pads are a little bit more complicated if you don't know what you are doing, so its probably worth paying for. Same with the the suspension stuff. Im not sure if they actually did an alignment or not to your vehicle. If they did an alignment then $160 is worth the price. If they didn't not, I'd definitely skip the "suspension check" if the vehicle is driving straight/fine and not making any weird noises.