Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost 4 Years in, should any maintenance be done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Click edit post.. then choose delete.

Thanks for sharing though. FYI a ton of this stuff is simple to do yourself.. including the air filters. I bought the filters off Amazon for $25 and a $13 bottle of Kool-It to kill the mildew and moisture in the system. Took me about 30 minutes. Tesla charged you $64.25 for that alone. Tire rotations are super easy and also take about 30 minutes (15 minutes per side). Finally, $60 to change two wiper blades.. grab a couple at Costco for $10 each and do it yourself in the Costco parking lot if you want it's so easy.. I guess it takes 5 mins. You can search for all this stuff on YouTube and knock it all out in an hour or so on any given day.

Brake calipers/pads are a little bit more complicated if you don't know what you are doing, so its probably worth paying for. Same with the the suspension stuff. Im not sure if they actually did an alignment or not to your vehicle. If they did an alignment then $160 is worth the price. If they didn't not, I'd definitely skip the "suspension check" if the vehicle is driving straight/fine and not making any weird noises.
If Tesla does coil cleaning then it may be worth having them do it, essentially its $20 difference. And for tire rotations you need to have a pretty expensive investment into a heavy duty jack (due to car being so heavy), plus the pucks to lift it properly.

For wiper blades, I think Tesla ones may be silicone and not rubber? So they last 2 to 3 times longer? I may be wrong on that one, but mine at 4 years work like they did on day 1 from factory.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
@Chrushev those seem to be the main wear/ maintenance items to check.

FYI on my 10/2018 Model 3 LR DM (now at 34k) my maintenance schedule is :
* changed brake fluid (used DOT 4) 7/2022. Kinda slacked on this by a year but fluid was ok. Easy DIY using a Motive bleeder.
* Tesla brake maintenace procedure (remove brake pads, inspect, teflon lube caliper pins, wire brush all hardware (wear a mask/respirator!)
* rotate tires (front to back) every 5k
* replace cabin air filter every 1-2 years and use Kool-it to clean evaporative coils. As a habit, I run the hvac system without AC last few minutes of the drive to dry out system (might help with the odor issue)

I think you're right on with your maintenance. Checking stuff is the first important thing to do!
I changed the cabin filter and the cabin air smells as good as new all the time now.
I had neglected to change the cabin filter; even then, the smell lasted a few seconds when starting the A/C. The A/C starts drying the air( and filter) immediately, so the smells clear real fast.
Most quality filters comes with activated charcoal; if it's not removing smells from the outside, then it's definitely time to change it. I bought an extra activated charcoal prefilter so it absorbs better the horrible diesel and other smells from the outside. Today there's better filters with more charcoal than the one I bought in 2018 on amazon.
I did foam the evaporator(the inside radiator so to speak)so it runs cleaner and more efficient( it's easy when cabin filter is removed).

Reactions: zoomer0056
I changed the cabin filter and the cabin air smells as good as new all the time now.
I had neglected to change the cabin filter; even then, the smell lasted a few seconds when starting the A/C. The A/C starts drying the air( and filter) immediately, so the smells clear real fast.
Most quality filters comes with activated charcoal; if it's not removing smells from the outside, then it's definitely time to change it. I bought an extra activated charcoal prefilter so it absorbs better the horrible diesel and other smells from the outside. Today there's better filters with more charcoal than the one I bought in 2018 on amazon.
I did foam the evaporator(the inside radiator so to speak)so it runs cleaner and more efficient( it's easy when cabin filter is removed).
Does Tesla contact the owner for regularly scheduled maintenance or do we need to be proactive?