Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost as bad as being ICED at a SuperCharger - High Entry Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No building more and more roads aren't a viable solution, especially in already traffic congested areas since the costs are ridiculously prohibitive. A simpler solution which is FREE or REVENUE POSITIVE (from traffic tickets) that our politically bought and paid for CA government could implement is a simple KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS campaign including ticketing the drivers who insist on blocking faster moving traffic. This would actually make traffic FLOW better on our EXISTING highways.

Unfortunately unions and the MEGA inefficient / wasteful CalTrans and the thousands of "consultants" and contractors would go ballistic fighting it... and try to vote out everybody who supported it. If our newly elected Governor Newsome actually wanted to IMPROVE California, he would do this immediately... but he and his Democratic supermajority are beholden to "campaign contributions" of unions, CalTrans contractors & consultants, and government employees. The Governor's refusal to STOP the $77 billion California '"Bullet train to nowhere" boondoggle is absolute proof. DISGUSTING.
It's not just California.

I've learned that the first weekend of every month is always "special event" pricing at the Brooklyn museum. How bad did you need that charge if you came back several times that day? If you could wait, wait until the museum is closed on sunday (which I think is 6pm) and the rates go back to normal. The other option is the Urban charger in the William Vale in Williamsburg. A good piece of advice is learn where the Destination chargers and L2 chargers are if you don't have at home charging. Plugshare will help a lot.

On the charging for parking front, I don't mind $5 for an hour for non-highway superchargers (free in malls with validation). It keeps people from abusing free supercharging, it makes people charge efficiently and leave when charging is done.

NYC is the most transit dependent city in the US. NYC is also physically one of the largest cities in the US as well. Our longest subway is 34 miles long and it DOESN'T even go from one end of the city to another. No other place in the world can you travel over 40 miles for $2.75. Traveling to Manhattan is easy, traveling from Manhattan is easy. Traveling from any other borough to any other borough is not.

Reactions: 101dals
I've learned that the first weekend of every month is always "special event" pricing at the Brooklyn museum. How bad did you need that charge if you came back several times that day? If you could wait, wait until the museum is closed on sunday (which I think is 6pm) and the rates go back to normal. The other option is the Urban charger in the William Vale in Williamsburg. A good piece of advice is learn where the Destination chargers and L2 chargers are if you don't have at home charging. Plugshare will help a lot.

On the charging for parking front, I don't mind $5 for an hour for non-highway superchargers (free in malls with validation). It keeps people from abusing free supercharging, it makes people charge efficiently and leave when charging is done.

NYC is the most transit dependent city in the US. NYC is also physically one of the largest cities in the US as well. Our longest subway is 34 miles long and it DOESN'T even go from one end of the city to another. No other place in the world can you travel over 40 miles for $2.75. Traveling to Manhattan is easy, traveling from Manhattan is easy. Traveling from any other borough to any other borough is not.

In the parking garage hosting the supercharger in Fenway, the event rate is a whopping $55. Every Red Sox game is an event.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
In the parking garage hosting the supercharger in Fenway, the event rate is a whopping $55. Every Red Sox game is an event.

That's the great thing about the Wiliam Vale hotel. even if it is a Friday or Saturday night where "event" rates are in effect, Teslas are exempt for the 1st hour. Teslas pay only the normal $6 fee to park. One Friday evening when I was there I was told that if I stayed over an hour, I would be charged the full $30 "event" rate. I was careful not to do so, and was not charged. (I payed $5 at the time which was the hourly rate, it has since been increased to $6, which is mildly concerning given the upward trajectory, but I digress)

In my experience charging at the Brooklyn museum (EDIT: Posted in the main Brooklyn Museum SCer thread, which I am not sure how to link to) I had to hustle and sweat it a bit in order to not pay the $18 event rate. In the end I think I got lucky. honestly it's not worth the drama. Thankfully, the William Vale is 10-15 minutes closer to my home than the Brooklyn Museum, but that is just a matter of geography, which is the luck of the draw.

I promise you that even if Brooklyn Museum was closer to my home I would probably charge more at the William Vale bc I'd be saving $12 each time and there is more to do while you charge in the immediate vicinity at the William Vale than at the Brooklyn Museum.

Downside of the William Vale is that it is valet (like most NYC garages) so you have to hand over the keys and let them plug in for you.
I actually live 5min away from them and charged there primarily at first.
Then had 2 annoying incidents there - first where they unplugged me early to put another car in, and another where they were unable to plug my car in physically and suggested I may need to go to a service center.
Drove to WV and was fine. Used about 8 other Superchargers no issue either.

Realistically they are both great, cheap options.
I think the Brooklyn Museum $18 every Saturday & Sunday is a more recent thing, didn't see that all winter.
Previously it was just for "first Saturday" events.
Become a BBG member for $100 tax deductible, you get unlimited entry to garden for two, and a handful of parking (and guest) passes. It basically pays for itself after 2 visits especially if the $18 parking rate is on. Higher tiers get more parking passes.
I find it one of the more pleasant places to kill time during a long charge.

Looking forward to Brooklyn Heights & Gowanus chargers showing as coming soon on Tesla map..