Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Almost had a “free” performance upgrade!

Free performace upgrade?

• Drive off!

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Return the car

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Im not going to name locations, we are all humans, but this was interesting... I’d like to know what my legal liability would have been...

My wife and I had setup to pickup my black AWD 3, place was packed. Staffed with obvious new hires.
When (finally) all said and done.

Tags on the car. Keys setup. I don’t need orientation, it’s dark outside. Done see ya!

I walk to the car. Hey! These are 19s. Maybe I got a free upgrade? Lot car?
I see red brakes... umm... okay? Check the window sticker. Performance. Well ohh my.
The keys I was handed, tags, and car I was lead to, and ready to leave with!

Well... I did the ‘right’ thing... went back in and said... I don’t think that’s my car. But I am more than willing to take it.

VIN last 4 was a transposed from my car.

Another 30 min later left in the correct car (which I love).

BUT, given that it would now be a used car, and Tesla would have to either flatbed me mine, (I’m not driving 2 hrs back for their mistake).... I wonder if they’d have discounted my Performace ride ;)....

one can wonder. But I had a BLAST with my AWD. It’s like an eager puppy to drive. The S... you could always tell it was pushing 5k of weight around turns.

Any lawyers!? Drive off? GTA? Sometimes a clear conscience is priceless...

• Informative
Reactions: Rarity and GWord
I think you’d be ok if the VIN matched your MVPA but otherwise I feel like they’d eventually catch on and you’d have to return it.

Now if you had the red underline in the software and no performance parts but ordered an AWD that’s a different story. That has happened to some people.

Im not going to name locations, we are all humans, but this was interesting... I’d like to know what my legal liability would have been...

My wife and I had setup to pickup my black AWD 3, place was packed. Staffed with obvious new hires.
When (finally) all said and done.

Tags on the car. Keys setup. I don’t need orientation, it’s dark outside. Done see ya!

I walk to the car. Hey! These are 19s. Maybe I got a free upgrade? Lot car?
I see red brakes... umm... okay? Check the window sticker. Performance. Well ohh my.
The keys I was handed, tags, and car I was lead to, and ready to leave with!

Well... I did the ‘right’ thing... went back in and said... I don’t think that’s my car. But I am more than willing to take it.

VIN last 4 was a transposed from my car.

Another 30 min later left in the correct car (which I love).

BUT, given that it would now be a used car, and Tesla would have to either flatbed me mine, (I’m not driving 2 hrs back for their mistake).... I wonder if they’d have discounted my Performace ride ;)....

one can wonder. But I had a BLAST with my AWD. It’s like an eager puppy to drive. The S... you could always tell it was pushing 5k of weight around turns.

Any lawyers!? Drive off? GTA? Sometimes a clear conscience is priceless...

I am no where near being any sort of lawyer, but since the VIN would not match the paperwork you had, they would likely ask you to bring the car back, or come get it politely if you were unable to bring it (or, "unpolitely" if you refused). If the vin matched your paperwork, THEN you would have been in the clear, I am fairly sure.

They can unwind the deal, so even if you took it and they had to give it back, they could sell it as a "new car with miles" with a small discount.

Of course, it appears that you are a fairly loyal tesla buyer so if you had taken it, and were flexible with them in bringing it back, you could likely have asked for "something"... no idea what, but I am sure they could have done something for your trouble if you prodded them nicely (if all that had happened).

I want to hear from someone with no conscience and brought home a P3D+! I wonder how long it would take Tesla to it figure out? Especially during the end of year crunch.

On my last Service Center visit I got a call two days after I picked up my car to ask if I wanted to have my car valet to my home or work. I always wondered what would have happened if I told them to go ahead and delivery my ‘car’ to me.

When I saw the title I had chose "Drive Off" because I assumed (Without reading) it was accidentally "Software Enabled" before reading your post. If was just a software programming glitch I would have chosen "drive off" ;).

But yeah, with 20" Wheels and all and VIN mix up it sure would have been a headache to fix it later. So I changed my vote to return :(.

The app worked, as did the 'keys' they handed me.
I was leaning towards get it home, get a call, let it sit for a day or two, and see if they'd negotiate on the price of this 'used' car ;)

But, I've had enough trouble sleeping the past few weeks... didn't want some lawyer up my charge port.

Reactions: Olds442