Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alpha Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as long as it doesn't morph into that fat lipped grin that became part of the Mazda design language during Franz von Holzhausen's tenure. ;)

mazda.jpg

That's almost certainly the battery. In the prototype they used a Roadster powertrain, so the battery would have been elsewhere.

I wonder whether they're going to offer batteries painted to match the body color? If so, then switching batteries might have quite a jolting effect. On the other hand, you could go and get a Very Orange battery on a black car just for Halloween! :smile:

Would they really have the battery exposed to the edges like that though? No sort of structural protection?

maybe they could offer different nose options? It would definately be the only car on the market with that kind of option!

Novel, but hugely impractical. If they are going to start offering customizations, I think they could focus elsewhere first (wheels for example)

I am not disappointed in the car itself. I am disappointed that one of the more complete Alpha Builds was not shown.

I second this. It was very unique and bold that Tesla exhibited the bare Model S shell, so that all may appreciate the engineering. However, there would have been nothing wrong with also displaying a complete Alpha car (which they obviously have now) alongside of it. "Here's the car; here's how it's made." Many companies will display cutaways in this manner. With the high profile of the Detroit show, I do not understand failing to take advantage of this opportunity at all.

I second this. It was very unique and bold that Tesla exhibited the bare Model S shell, so that all may appreciate the engineering. However, there would have been nothing wrong with also displaying a complete Alpha car (which they obviously have now) alongside of it. "Here's the car; here's how it's made." Many companies will display cutaways in this manner. With the high profile of the Detroit show, I do not understand failing to take advantage of this opportunity at all.

Just a guess, but I suspect the interior is less than show ready.

Just a guess, but I suspect the interior is less than show ready.
That may be it, but they also said that they haven't gotten to the point where they are ready to lock down the interior and it was subject to change. If they show a preliminary interior too much, it'll give false expectations.

I think they made it clear most of the exterior is done, but the interior isn't yet.

There's also the question of are they ready for a flood of orders?

The mainstream car press showed the shell, but the video has only really stayed within the online EV community. So it keeps us happy without making the wider buying audience think its time to get their credit cards out.

Same here! I want to love it (Ok, I do love it) and would replace our Roadster for it but when I see it in person it is just too big. Big and beautiful. Lovely to look at but too big to hug.

Extra frustrating when I read between the lines that Franz wanted a smaller car too.

Well I think Elon wanted to be able to actually use the car, and i think it is no coincidence he has 5 kids.

I'd guess that part of the ordering of what got done was long lead items, which, I'm guessing are about structure and crash testing and road tests (I still feel sorry for the yellow roadster that underwent the initial pavé tests). 80% done in that order could leave a lot of interior unfinished.