Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May be time to rename this thread and move it out of the TSLA subforum...

I'd suggest keeping the thread in the Tesla Investors subforum because it's directed to Tesla investors [who are interested in other investments as well].

I like going to the Tesla Investors group and finding threads like this, but if it was moved Off-Topic I don't think I'd track/follow it as often as I'd like.

I agree with DaveT - if this citizen in this non-democracy had a vote, it would be to retain it. My own investments in the alt.energy sector are mostly those discussed here (TSLA, SCTY, SPWR and CSIQ, plus two outliers), and for my own convenience's sake I hope this thread and these conversations are not moved.

May be time to rename this thread and move it out of the TSLA subforum...

So what if the title doesn't quite match the topic or the location of the discussion is in the wrong group.
All of the "regulars" know where to find it.

Do we really want more people to come here? Everybody here is courteous and helpful. I've been to many forums where they weren't.

Don't change a thing.

ReneSola to Report Second Quarter 2013 Results on August 15, 2013 - Yahoo! Finance

ReneSola" or the "Company") (SOL), a leading brand and technology provider of solar photovoltaic ("PV") products, today announced that it will report its unaudited financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013 before the U.S. markets open on Thursday, August 15, 2013.

looks like my August calls might come in handy!!

ReneSola to Report Second Quarter 2013 Results on August 15, 2013 - Yahoo! Finance

ReneSola" or the "Company") (SOL), a leading brand and technology provider of solar photovoltaic ("PV") products, today announced that it will report its unaudited financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013 before the U.S. markets open on Thursday, August 15, 2013.

That is great news for you; I bought J14 calls since I wasn't sure if they would report in time for Aug 17.. I think that the stock will make a run towards $5 before the earnings announcement and then it is all about guidance, since they pre-announced some of the earnings. I think I might have to buy me some Aug calls soon.

So what if the title doesn't quite match the topic or the location of the discussion is in the wrong group.

Do we really want more people to come here? Everybody here is courteous and helpful. I've been to many forums where they weren't.

Don't change a thing.

I agree with this. We have a very good community here and we need to enjoy it while it lasts. Five years from now there will be so many people on this forum that all of the "great" posts will get lost with the inevitable noise that is to come with future expansion; to the point where all of the great posters (pretty much everyone on TMC today) will slowly start dwindling away and stop posting here.

In the mean time let's enjoy what we have and let's all make some money. There is an alternative energy revolution going on around the world and 99% of the people don't even know about it. This is our time to invest and make some serious returns. I like it that we have a separate thread for investing in Tesla, one for Solar Energy, and one for other Cool Tech stocks. It is great the we are all helping each other out. If we change anything, I vote to change the name and keep the thread here in the investor section.

great! All we need now is CSIQ and TSL earnings dates and we should be set.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't change a thing.

+1...outside of the old apple finance board and braeburn group, this is one of the better investment forums that I have come across over the last several years.

Sleepy,

you have stated that your portfolio is heavily concentrated in tsla and the solar industry. If I may ask, what is the makeup of your portfolio heading into SPWR earnings (ie almost exclusively in the solar companies, or split between solar and tsla)? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Baird has upgraded SPWR today.

http://www.schaeffersresearch.com/commentary/content/blogs/analyst+upgrades+cisco+systems+inc+csco+sunpower+corporation+spwr+and+questcor/trading_floor_blog.aspx

"With earnings due tomorrow evening, SunPower Corporation scored a substantial price-target lift from analysts at Baird, who adjusted their estimate to $33 from $24. It's no wonder, given that shares of the solar company have surged nearly seven-fold in the last year, to trade at $26.16. Despite this monster uptrend, there remain some skeptics who are hoping to call a top. Of the 10 analysts following the stock, just four offer a positive rating of "buy" or better. Also, SPWR has racked up a 50-day put/call volume ratio of 0.44 at the International Securities Exchange (ISE), Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE), and NASDAQ OMX PHLX (PHLX). While this reading still shows a clear preference toward long calls over long puts, it is 2 percentage points from an annual peak. In other words, demand for long puts has rarely been greater during the past year, on a relative basis. Analysts are expecting per-share results of 11 cents for SPWR's second quarter, a three-cent improvement over year-ago figures."

Always makes me nervous when a firm upgrades this close to earnings. Are they playing catch up with spwr or are they upgrading to give themselves a chance to get their clients out?

ongba - I actually manage two portfolios (actually more than two but two major ones, the other portfolios are basically 100% SPWR or legacy mutual funds from previous employers' retirement plans).

1. 401 (k) - I can only go long stocks and can't short or buy options in it. So today I sold almost all of my SOL, CSIQ, and TSLA in it and now have about 80% of my 401(k) in SPWR. I bought in at $26.34 today in the morning; just crossed $28.00 - ka-ching. My plan all along was to ride the SPWR earnings and then flip all of it into TSLA and ride TSLA earnings, and then flip all of it into CSIQ earnings and/or SOL earnings whichever comes first. BTW, I am up in this 401(k) over 200% YTD, and that is without any leverage (margin) and without really having any TSLA in it until it crossed $110.

2. Personal Investment Account - I have about 15% in SPWR shares and 5% in TSLA shares. The rest is all Deep OTM options on SOL, SPWR, CSIQ, and TSLA; most of them Aug. too and some are J14. If I lose all of this money my wife might kill me, haha.

- - - Updated - - -

SPWR short squeeze???
or just massive earning run up?

SPWR short interest is the highest of all solar companies and that is saying something; almost 30% of float. Massive short squeeze just beginning hopefully - it will all depend on what kind of guidance they give out; let's hope that they stop sandbagging and start throwing around some strong expectations.

SPWR CEO on Bloomberg a couple of weeks ago: "Demand in the U.S. has been phenomenally good." BTW, they get 70% of their business in North America.

sleepy: after following your excellent postings here for some time I went out on a bit of a limb and bought some Jan14 SPWR calls when the stock was trading around $23. As it rose I rolled them to the highest strike i could find which was Jan14 $39 calls. If SPWR rallies after their report tomorrow, how much would you like to see SPWR rise in the short term for you to sell those calls as opposed to holding them towards the end of the year? Thanks.

Edit: the Jan14 $39 calls are up 50% today.

sleepy: after following your excellent postings here for some time I went out on a bit of a limb and bought some Jan14 SPWR calls when the stock was trading around $23. As it rose I rolled them to the highest strike i could find which was Jan14 $39 calls. If SPWR rallies after their report tomorrow, how much would you like to see SPWR rise in the short term for you to sell those calls as opposed to holding them towards the end of the year? Thanks.

Edit: the Jan14 $39 calls are up 50% today.

I also bought my calls when the price was at $23. I bought Aug. $31, $32, and $34 calls; I also bought some J14 $39 calls as well. First of all I hope that they have good earnings and the price doesn't crash. If the price does go up then I plan on selling my Aug calls and holding on to the J14 calls. It all depends on how the market plays out. I will have to listen to the earnings call before I can give you a good price to sell at. If I think that there is more room to run, then I will hold on. If the price goes up too high then I might sell (there will be a time when the market realizes that solar is very cheap and only then will we see the massive gains I am predicting). It all depends on results though.

ongba - I actually manage two portfolios (actually more than two but two major ones, the other portfolios are basically 100% SPWR or legacy mutual funds from previous employers' retirement plans).

1. 401 (k) - I can only go long stocks and can't short or buy options in it. So today I sold almost all of my SOL, CSIQ, and TSLA in it and now have about 80% of my 401(k) in SPWR. I bought in at $26.34 today in the morning; just crossed $28.00 - ka-ching. My plan all along was to ride the SPWR earnings and then flip all of it into TSLA and ride TSLA earnings, and then flip all of it into CSIQ earnings and/or SOL earnings whichever comes first. BTW, I am up in this 401(k) over 200% YTD, and that is without any leverage (margin) and without really having any TSLA in it until it crossed $110.

2. Personal Investment Account - I have about 15% in SPWR shares and 5% in TSLA shares. The rest is all Deep OTM options on SOL, SPWR, CSIQ, and TSLA; most of them Aug. too and some are J14. If I lose all of this money my wife might kill me, haha.

Sleepy,

Congrats on your success, esp with the non-marginated non-options account! I am planning on a similar strategy as yours (ie rolling from one earnings event to the next using mainly options). Let's ride this wave of unique opportunity to financial success as we must strike now while the bull market is still alive and well.

- - - Updated - - -

With the upgrade by Baird today, and the short squeeze, I have sold my positions in csiq and sol and moved the proceeds into spwr aug, sept and jan options.

Last edited:
Sleepy,

Congrats on your success, esp with the non-marginated non-options account! I am planning on a similar strategy as yours (ie rolling from one earnings event to the next using mainly options). Let's ride this wave of unique opportunity to financial success as we must strike now while the bull market is still alive and well.

- - - Updated - - -

With the upgrade by Baird today, and the short squeeze, I have sold my positions in csiq and sol and moved the proceeds into spwr aug, sept and jan options.
How come you sold CISQ, and SOL? in anticipation for SPWR earnings?