Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there's only about 12% short to float- don't think this is much of a short squeeze - some short covering no doubt, but this is largely the GS backing is all I can conclude; Nice to have though - glad to have a healthy long stock position; I almost took Cit-T advice converting to Calls but decided against it as I thought there would be a little sell the news pullback on the S-Charger announcement. good move CT

Didn't Elon mention he plans to produce a holding company for Solar City and Space X? Doing this would strengthen both companies financial position and growth prospects. Tesla and Solar City both have tons of upside. If MM are betting a holdings company will happen, Tesla's stock going up should strengthen Solar City's stock also. Right?

Last edited:
Didn't Elon mention he plans to produce a holdings company for Solar City and Space X? Doing this would strengthen both companies financial position and growth prospects. Tesla and Solar City both have tons of upside. If MM are betting a holdings company will happen, Tesla's stock going up should strengthen Solar City's stock also. Right?

that's an interesting thought- he may do the holding company when SpaceX goes public- I think he said that was an end of 2013 or into 2014 target if I recall. They may be laying that groundwork as part of the holding co

I'm scratching my head over the concept of a single holding company for both SCTY and Space X. I cannot make heads or tails out of it. What possibly could be the reason, or justification? To begin with, an investor - or an investment bank, or a Wall St. analyst - can use the business model of SCTY to place a valuation upon it. But when you add Space X to the mix.....ugh! What on earth are you supposed to do with that?

FWIW, I think the benefit of said holding company is to freely move cash between companies.

I'm scratching my head over the concept of a single holding company for both SCTY and Space X. I cannot make heads or tails out of it. What possibly could be the reason, or justification? To begin with, an investor - or an investment bank, or a Wall St. analyst - can use the business model of SCTY to place a valuation upon it. But when you add Space X to the mix.....ugh! What on earth are you supposed to do with that?

I was looking at this at $23 and wanted to get in but money was tied up in TSLA which was running up like crazy. Then I sold some TSLA when SCTY was around $34-$37 last week, but waited for it to pull back before investing. Today I wake up and its over $50! I have no desire to chase this stock up, but is it ever going to come back down to reasonable prices? I think TSLA has hit its top for the short term, and now I just am lying on a large cash holding because both companies have moved up too much too fast!

is this a heavily shorted stock?
I heard it had the highest short % on the entire market.
Is this true?

The 2013 APR 30 short interest vs. the float for SCTY was 15%. That's less than the 37% for TSLA, but still very high relative to most stocks. Short covering seems to be playing a part in SCTY's rise, as it has for TSLA. A short squeeze for SCTY may be developing due to the huge rise recently which may be inspiring margin calls. This could continue for days. These are generational disrupters of industries, and not your usual trading range candiates. As with TSLA, bailing out at a surmised trading range top could result in later having to chase a stock that's running away to the upside.

I was looking at this at $23 and wanted to get in but money was tied up in TSLA which was running up like crazy. Then I sold some TSLA when SCTY was around $34-$37 last week, but waited for it to pull back before investing. Today I wake up and its over $50! I have no desire to chase this stock up, but is it ever going to come back down to reasonable prices? I think TSLA has hit its top for the short term, and now I just am lying on a large cash holding because both companies have moved up too much too fast!

Lockup Expiration 6/11/2013

Sometime here is when to get in... at least that's what I'm waiting for.

The 2013 APR 30 short interest vs. the float for SCTY was 15%. That's less than the 37% for TSLA, but still very high relative to most stocks. Short covering seems to be playing a part in SCTY's rise, as it has for TSLA. A short squeeze for SCTY may be developing due to the huge rise recently which may be inspiring margin calls. This could continue for days. These are generational disrupters of industries, and not your usual trading range candiates. As with TSLA, bailing out at a surmised trading range top could result in later having to chase a stock that's running away to the upside.

According to below its down to about 12% now so definitely some short converting. But this isn't near high enough for much of a squeeze. . Certainly not the current doubling in price. Theres another underlying long position cause IMO with some short covering thrown in

Short Interest Stock Short Selling Data, Shorts, Stocks: Short Squeeze