Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain to me in English what this credit (Form 8911) does?
TurboTax makes it pretty clear that my credit will be zero, but I'm curious about why.
Is it because I'm not using it for a business vehicle?
Or is it because the installation cost is low ($650)?
Or is it because I pay AMT (because I live in a state with high tax rates)?

I tried fooling TurboTax into thinking I didn't owe AMT (by telling it my mortgage interest was $150k), but I still didn't get a credit.

any thoughts?

Can someone explain to me in English what this credit (Form 8911) does?
TurboTax makes it pretty clear that my credit will be zero, but I'm curious about why.
Is it because I'm not using it for a business vehicle?
Or is it because the installation cost is low ($650)?
Or is it because I pay AMT (because I live in a state with high tax rates)?

I tried fooling TurboTax into thinking I didn't owe AMT (by telling it my mortgage interest was $150k), but I still didn't get a credit.

any thoughts?

I'm not sure that TurboTax is treating it correctly, as there is some talk around the web regarding this. Based on my limited understanding, it is not supposed to be limited by AMT (technically, speaking), but on the TMT (Tentative Minimum Tax). I *think* that the TMT is figured as part of the process of figuring the AMT, but is an intermediate step. It may, therefore, not help for you to raise the mortgage interest.

If you figure this out, please let us know.

We are talking about 2 different tax credits from 2 separate IRC sections. The credit for refueling property is IRC Sec. 30C and the credit for new electric vehicles is IRC Sec. 30D. I recall that if you follow the trail in the Code, the refueling credit does not offset AMT but the electric vehicle credit does. It has been a while since I looked at it. Standard disclaimer: consult your tax advisor!

We are talking about 2 different tax credits from 2 separate IRC sections. The credit for refueling property is IRC Sec. 30C and the credit for new electric vehicles is IRC Sec. 30D. I recall that if you follow the trail in the Code, the refueling credit does not offset AMT but the electric vehicle credit does. It has been a while since I looked at it. Standard disclaimer: consult your tax advisor!

That is my understanding too. If you subject to the AMT, no EVSE credit. The EV credit is not impacted by AMT.

Just finished my taxes the other day. When checking my return for errors, Turbotax kept telling me that the date I placed my Model S into service had to be before some date in 2010 in order to get the $7500 rebate. I knew I was right and it was wrong, so I just acknowledged the error and moved on.

Point is, it's clearly not unheard of for TurboTax to have some substantial bugs.