Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative "keys"? (Besides Phone As Key)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I found a "key ring" (wearable ring) that says it can be used as a Model 3 key... Not sure if this is true or not? However, this gets me thinking. Can you program any RFID item as a key? I even found RFID stickers. Might be interesting to put a sticker on your phone if that were the case, in case your phone ever died.

Thoughts?

Hi Guys,

I found a "key ring" (wearable ring) that says it can be used as a Model 3 key... Not sure if this is true or not? However, this gets me thinking. Can you program any RFID item as a key? I even found RFID stickers. Might be interesting to put a sticker on your phone if that were the case, in case your phone ever died.

Thoughts?

Those products are made by people removing the chip from a tesla keycard, and then embedding it into "some product". So yes, the key rings are legitimate, or at least should be, but no, you cant just turn any tag into a key. You can buy a tesla keycard and remove the chip from it and do what you want with it, though.

I'm still waiting for watch bands with the key embedded into it. Why is that not a thing yet?

Edit: the post above was posted while I was writing this, and "teslaring" has a bracelet key. Even more reason to ask why watch bands are not a thing..

Last edited:
Reactions: JBT66
I have the CNICK ring, and it works very well. It's mostly a "backup" for emergencies, but since it's always on my finger it lets me lock everything in the car when I'm at the beach etc.

I chose this one over others because (a) I liked the cosmetics better, (b) they offer ½ ring sizes and (c) the other one I looked at was ceramic and apparently snaps easily.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, guys!! So far I've just put a card key behind my cellphone case (which is clear so get to show off my key all day). I have my cell with my 95% of the time, but how cool would that be if it was integrated with my Garmin or Samsung watch. A guy can dream...haha.

I have the CNICK ring, and it works very well. It's mostly a "backup" for emergencies, but since it's always on my finger it lets me lock everything in the car when I'm at the beach etc./QUOTE]

Curious... does "everything in the car" also include your normal Tesla key (card or phone)? I think that would preclude your Tesla from locking. Unless, you put pure confidence in the 'ring' and never carry the traditional 'unlock' devices.

I have the CNICK ring, and it works very well. It's mostly a "backup" for emergencies, but since it's always on my finger it lets me lock everything in the car when I'm at the beach etc.

I have that one too, works fine. The target area is smaller since the antenna isn't a rectangle the size of the card so one has to be more precise with placement on the pillar - otherwise, seems fine.

How cruel, talking about such a thing and not including an image...

lol, here it is on my bolt's key ring.
20201123_200836.jpg

Curious... does "everything in the car" also include your normal Tesla key (card or phone)? I think that would preclude your Tesla from locking. Unless, you put pure confidence in the 'ring' and never carry the traditional 'unlock' devices.

It includes my phone and card key, but of course I turn off Bluetooth in it so the car will lock. And yes, I out confidence in the ring in this case (which is why I used it many times before I let myself rely on it).