Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am at a loss: is the $2k FSD offer going away on Monday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid the $2k for the FSD upgrade this morning and got 2019.5.15 pushed this afternoon. Wonder if I got it because of the FSD upgrade or just coincidence and would have gotten it anyway?

Haven't pulled the trigger on the $2 upgrade for me (have EAP) and have 5.15 as of Sunday so think it's purely coincidence.

My husband says hold off but I'm more inclined to do it now to get in the line for the hardware upgrades. Even if I don't use FSD I think the hardware will be an improvement on other aspects. Figure I'm already at the end of the proverbial line after people who bought FSD with their car, all the new car buyers who get the hardware and those that have already purchased it. Any changes they make to the board I figure I'll benefit from being more of a latecomer. Still not sure what I'm doing about ordering though. Expect there to be alot more Model 3s on the road by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DriveMe and selfbp
Ok, I'm an EAP buyer and am agonizing over this upgrade. I made the pros and cons list below. My biggest concern is the price might go up beyond the $4k if/when the FSD features become super compelling. If they can sell vapor for 2-5k, how much will they be able to sell an actual product for? My other main concern is that being on the EAP fork is a dead end now, kinda like AP1 cars. It will get slowly better over time, but won't get any new features. Also, does anyone have a list of what features EAP is getting from the incoming updates. Do we get advanced summon? Help!

Pros:

2k cheaper short term, potential >2k cheaper long term
HW3 upgrade
NOA w/out approval and advanced summon?
Not on dead end EAP fork

Cons:

future price very uncertain
no new features for 6 months
new features may not be that useful for another year
HW3 upgrade time uncertain
Further hardware upgrades may be needed for true FSD

I don’t like buying vaporware. But if I am going to buy it I’d rather pay $2K than $4K, or whatever the price might be next week. But there is no obvious answer here, which is why so many people are posting the same questions on these forums. I’m considering it, but I’m not sold yet.

Of course you’re free to use whatever criteria you want to make decisions, but I have to say that your post looks kinda like its trolling to me. I cannot imagine making a car purchasing decision based on a small but vocal group of people complaining about something that has no relevance to me.

Trolling, no ... maybe a little hyperbolic, sure.

But in all seriousness - it's not just the web forum - there is a serious perception problem fostering around Tesla ... schizophrenic decisions, the constantly-almost-going-out-of-business perception... a "vehicle for the elite" viewpoint. Doesn't exactly endear Tesla to the public-at-large. The feedback I've gotten when I mention it to others has been VERY mixed because of those things.

I really want to love Tesla but every vehicle has a culture around it. Not sure that's the culture I want to be part of ... that's all I'm saying. It's disappointing - because there really IS a revolution about to occur, all because of Tesla. Would rather see it be a sane rational transition than a bunch of loose nuts behind the wheel.

I don’t like buying vaporware. But if I am going to buy it I’d rather pay $2K than $4K, or whatever the price might be next week. But there is no obvious answer here, which is why so many people are posting the same questions on these forums. I’m considering it, but I’m not sold yet.

Thats why I bought it, frankly as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I would want the hardware, and may or may not want the software features coming out right now, but since the car is a big iPhone, at SOME point there will be HW3 gated features... just like sentry mode etc. At some point something will require the new hardware (or be better on the new hardware). Something like enabling all the cameras for sentry mode or some such.

2k is a the same amount of money, yet a different amount of money for each person, if that makes sense. For some, its almost nothing. For others, its a fair amount. For still others its a HUGE amount of money. Even among the "buying new tesla" demographic, 2k is varying amounts of money. Its a decent amount for me, but the flip side of that is, like I said before, if this is 4k or 6k later, I would never buy it.

if someone else buys it for 1k later, or even gets it free, that wont actually bother "me", but I know it bothers a -"lot-of-people". I would rather pay 2k now to get the new hardware and whatever features are attached to it, prolonging the life of my iphone as a car, rather than not getting it.

If people could get a new processor in their smartphone, they probably would keep the one they have longer, rather than upgrade. New features help this car continue to feel fresh to me, and the longer I keep that feeling / enable the ability to get new features, the longer I will be happy with this car.

2k is a lot cheaper than buying a new car in 3 years when I cant get the features on the new ones (or the upgrade cost more than 2k).

That was my thinking.

The way I see it is that there was no reason why FSD price was lowered in the first place other than trying to grab more money. The same reason they raise the price next week.. so to try to lull more people to buy. If they could do that, they will lower it again at some point. Maybe they will raise it high when FSD actually started working.. but eventually they will lower it again at some point. I think I will wait until there is something I could actually use before buying it.

My biggest hesitation is the company’s refusal to put in writing exactly what the terms of the hardware upgrade are. I’d rather not have to sift through Elon’s tweets and investor notes to try and piece together what he is thinking. Just a simple statement on the website stating that “purchasing FSD today enables you to receive a free upgrade to the next version of hardware released by Tesla, including all parts and installation labor to have it operating properly in your existing vehicle”.

A simple sentence like that would have eliminated countless hours of posts on this forum debating if it’s really included or not. What a waste of everyone’s time.

• Love
Reactions: MrMannilow and sbtz
My biggest hesitation is the company’s refusal to put in writing exactly what the terms of the hardware upgrade are. I’d rather not have to sift through Elon’s tweets and investor notes to try and piece together what he is thinking. Just a simple statement on the website stating that “purchasing FSD today enables you to receive a free upgrade to the next version of hardware released by Tesla, including all parts and installation labor to have it operating properly in your existing vehicle”.

A simple sentence like that would have eliminated countless hours of posts on this forum debating if it’s really included or not. What a waste of everyone’s time.

My personal conspiracy theory is there is a good reason Tesla hasn’t done that. They want the option to not upgrade us if they can get the newly re-defined FSD features running on the old hardware.

My personal conspiracy theory is there is a good reason Tesla hasn’t done that. They want the option to not upgrade us if they can get the newly re-defined FSD features running on the old hardware.
You're spot on. Just like they eliminated EAP, they will eliminate "FSD" as they call it and name the new version something else so they can stop supporting it.

I'm amazed how many people are jumping on the "buy it now or pay more later" game we all fell for once already, and you're all falling for it again lol. This was a marketing money grab from day 1. Cash flow to get the Y going. Still believe if they released the Y first the 3 sales would be minimal in the US at least. I know I'm more interested in dumping my 3 with 1500 miles for the Y

Can anyone show me that paying 2k guarantees hw3 and all the upgrades with install? FSD listed says "Adding this option today means you will be one of the first to experience full self-driving when it becomes available in the future." This doesn't define anything and that's what stopping me from ordering even with it on "sale"

• Love
Reactions: suttonlr
I tried to get support to put it in writing. When the first level support said they could not do it I asked to speak with a manager. Tesla is telling support to refer people to the tweet from Elon, but they will not provide any other written details beyond the tweet. Of course verbally they say yeah you definitely get it. But when it comes to putting it in writing they get very quiet.

I wasn't asking for anything formal. I just asked them to email me a confirmation of what they verbally stated to me. No go.

You're spot on. Just like they eliminated EAP, they will eliminate "FSD" as they call it and name the new version something else so they can stop supporting it.

I'm amazed how many people are jumping on the "buy it now or pay more later" game we all fell for once already, and you're all falling for it again lol. This was a marketing money grab from day 1. Cash flow to get the Y going. Still believe if they released the Y first the 3 sales would be minimal in the US at least. I know I'm more interested in dumping my 3 with 1500 miles for the Y

Can anyone show me that paying 2k guarantees hw3 and all the upgrades with install? FSD listed says "Adding this option today means you will be one of the first to experience full self-driving when it becomes available in the future." This doesn't define anything and that's what stopping me from ordering even with it on "sale"

I have no issues with people who dont want to buy. What I have issues with is people who seem to think that their decision is the only correct one. Do whats right for you, and let others do whats right for them. Everyone has different ideas / values etc. Just because its wrong for you, doesnt make it wrong for everyone.

I have no issues with people who dont want to buy. What I have issues with is people who seem to think that their decision is the only correct one. Do whats right for you, and let others do whats right for them. Everyone has different ideas / values etc. Just because its wrong for you, doesnt make it wrong for everyone.
Paying for something that doesn't exist and isn't defined is wrong for everyone

• Love
Reactions: suttonlr
I think I will put down the $2000 for the FSD. I share the concerns about only having comments in the earnings teleconference and Elon Musk's tweets to indicate that we are buying more than future software updates, but I think they can produce and install the hardware and make a profit for $2000. So that makes it more believable. Since I put down $1000 for a car I had never seen in person and would not get for 2 1/2 years, I guess I'm also the type that would pay $2000 more for an upgrade with uncertain terms and no clear timeline for delivery. That said, if I didn't plan on keeping the car for many years, I would pass on FSD since you don't really know for sure what you will get and when you will get it.

That said, if I didn't plan on keeping the car for many years, I would pass on FSD since you don't really know for sure what you will get and when you will get it.
That's my conundrum. With 1500 miles I'm ready to sell now and wait for when the Y comes out. Had I known it was so close I'd never gotten the 3 in the first place. I'm thinking with the price changes I might be better off just driving it a year since the hit in depreciation is already done. But I'd sell tomorrow for a reasonable price to wait on the Y and cancel my 25k loan

Do we have any hard proof the features stay with the car when you sell? I understand unlimited SC doesn't follow the 2nd buyer... Does EAP FSD go to who buys my car in the future? Hence bumping resale value of mine?

Last edited:
My biggest hesitation is the company’s refusal to put in writing exactly what the terms of the hardware upgrade are. I’d rather not have to sift through Elon’s tweets and investor notes to try and piece together what he is thinking.

What he's thinking is- everyone who paid for FSD gets the HW3 upgrade for free.

You can tell because he has literally been saying that, repeatedly, and in writing, since at least August of last year, and as recently as like yesterday

It's simply baffling people continue to be confused on this.

What a waste of everyone’s time.

Indeed.

fomo is strong. if you look at the actual evidence and what elon has said, it's that wider adoption = lower prices. you guys are trying to rationalize giving tesla a 2k loan on a tweet promise that you'd get hw3 upgrade (just like p3d- would get track mode), and that prices will go up. you think you're getting a deal here. you are not. you are buying a spot in a line with no idea of realistic timeline.

What he's thinking is- everyone who paid for FSD gets the HW3 upgrade for free.

You can tell because he has literally been saying that, repeatedly, and in writing, since at least August of last year, and as recently as like yesterday

It's simply baffling people continue to be confused on this.

Indeed.
Please post screen shot from Tesla.com that shows hw3 upgrade included