Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am at a loss: is the $2k FSD offer going away on Monday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What he's thinking is- everyone who paid for FSD gets the HW3 upgrade for free.

You can tell because he has literally been saying that, repeatedly, and in writing, since at least August of last year, and as recently as like yesterday

It's simply baffling people continue to be confused on this.

Indeed.

I can assure you I am not confused. Thank you.

Reactions: MrMannilow
That's my conundrum. With 1500 miles I'm ready to sell now and wait for when the Y comes out. Had I known it was so close I'd never gotten the 3 in the first place. I'm thinking with the price changes I might be better off just driving it a year since the hit in depreciation is already done. But I'd sell tomorrow for a reasonable price to wait on the Y and cancel my 25k loan

Do we have any hard proof the features stay with the car when you sell? I understand unlimited SC doesn't follow the 2nd buyer... Does EAP FSD go to who buys my car in the future? Hence bumping resale value of mine?

Your depreciation is not already done. Its going to likely be worth about 50% or so of its value 3 years from now. The biggest depreciation hit is year 1 but most cars in the "near luxury" class depreciate like stones for the first 3 years. Also, options usually are worth very little, unless they increase actual performance (bigger motors).

I doubt that EAP / FSD will be worth hardly anything on a used car. I wouldnt expect either one of those options to add any value over a similar car with similar miles without. Maybe a few hundred dollars. It will likely make your car more desirable, but not worth much more.

You are going to lose money on selling / trading it in, most likely... even if you only have a 25k loan on it. You have to count the money you put down, too.

Im surprised you are not in the full "wait and see" camp with the model Y, given your stance in this thread. Nothing wrong with being excited for it of course, but its still a yet announced product with unknown release date, etc.

Your depreciation is not already done. Its going to likely be worth about 50% or so of its value 3 years from now. The biggest depreciation hit is year 1 but most cars in the "near luxury" class depreciate like stones for the first 3 years. Also, options usually are worth very little, unless they increase actual performance (bigger motors).

I doubt that EAP / FSD will be worth hardly anything on a used car. I wouldnt expect either one of those options to add any value over a similar car with similar miles without. Maybe a few hundred dollars. It will likely make your car more desirable, but not worth much more.

You are going to lose money on selling / trading it in, most likely... even if you only have a 25k loan on it. You have to count the money you put down, too.

Im surprised you are not in the full "wait and see" camp with the model Y, given your stance in this thread. Nothing wrong with being excited for it of course, but its still a yet announced product with unknown release date, etc.
What I mean is it ate 20k in depreciation with 1500 miles on it. I don't think a years worth of miles will make that number change much.

Buying the 3 forced me to keep my SUV. It was a want purchase nothing more. I will be just fine keeping my Infiniti as a daily until the Y comes out and then hopefully I can consolidate down to just 2 cars instead of 3.

I understand the money I put down and the depreciation. But I'd rather have the 50k cash back in my account than the 70k in debt. I'd rather eat the 20k to have 50k back liquid and can use it for other investments in the meantime

That's my conundrum. With 1500 miles I'm ready to sell now and wait for when the Y comes out. Had I known it was so close I'd never gotten the 3 in the first place. I'm thinking with the price changes I might be better off just driving it a year since the hit in depreciation is already done. But I'd sell tomorrow for a reasonable price to wait on the Y and cancel my 25k loan

Do we have any hard proof the features stay with the car when you sell? I understand unlimited SC doesn't follow the 2nd buyer... Does EAP FSD go to who buys my car in the future? Hence bumping resale value of mine?

What makes you think you will be able to get your hands on a Model Y anytime soon? I suspect production will start off slow like the Modrl 3s albeit faster since it’s based on Model 3 so many issues will have been worked out, but it’s still a different vehicle. Will also share many if not the same parts as I understand as a 3 so hopefully parts will be in supply for both. Any word on expanding the stamping machinery yet? If built at Gigafactory 1 must be new machinery coming.

I believe anyone who bought a used vehicle kept any software on it. So then the software stays with the car not the owner say if you had a Model 3 MR with EAP and traded it up for a PM3. EAP wouldn’t go to the new PM3.

What makes you think you will be able to get your hands on a Model Y anytime soon? I suspect production will start off slow like the Modrl 3s albeit faster since it’s based on Model 3 so many issues will have been worked out, but it’s still a different vehicle. Will also share many if not the same parts as I understand as a 3 so hopefully parts will be in supply for both. Any word on expanding the stamping machinery yet? If built at Gigafactory 1 must be new machinery coming.

I believe anyone who bought a used vehicle kept any software on it. So then the software stays with the car not the owner say if you had a Model 3 MR with EAP and traded it up for a PM3. EAP wouldn’t go to the new PM3.

Had I known the Model Y announcement was so close* I just got my car end of December

I don't need anything right away. My Model 3 is my 3rd vehicle. I put down a day one reservation on the Model 3 and cancelled. Which I'm glad I did to get the white interior.

I waited this long I could have waited another year for a vehicle that would have allowed me to dump my current suv to have just one vehicle to transport my German Shepherd

• Informative
Reactions: stayfocus18
Had I known the Model Y announcement was so close* I just got my car end of December

I don't need anything right away. My Model 3 is my 3rd vehicle. I put down a day one reservation on the Model 3 and cancelled. Which I'm glad I did to get the white interior.

I waited this long I could have waited another year for a vehicle that would have allowed me to dump my current suv to have just one vehicle to transport my German Shepherd
Ironically, for us following Elon tweets, we had known that the Y unveil would be in March because Elon tweeted as much sometime last summer/fall. I think that it was taken as a joke, due to Elon time and all.

Please post screen shot from Tesla.com that shows hw3 upgrade included

Events & Presentations | Tesla, Inc.

You'll want to listen to the Q3 2018 recording.

Where they explicitly tell you anyone who buys FSD gets HW3 as a free upgrade.

Or you can read the bunch of times since then the CEO of the company has repeatedly and explicitly confirmed that fact, in writing, including twice in the last 10 days.

Or you can keep pretending you're "just not sure" for....some reason....as one guy does.

What he's thinking is- everyone who paid for FSD gets the HW3 upgrade for free.
You can tell because he has literally been saying that, repeatedly, and in writing, since at least August of last year, and as recently as like yesterday
It's simply baffling people continue to be confused on this.
Indeed.

Events & Presentations | Tesla, Inc.
You'll want to listen to the Q3 2018 recording.
Where they explicitly tell you anyone who buys FSD gets HW3 as a free upgrade.
Or you can read the bunch of times since then the CEO of the company has repeatedly and explicitly confirmed that fact, in writing, including twice in the last 10 days.
Or you can keep pretending you're "just not sure" for....some reason....as one guy does.

But yet, here is the quote from our purchase agreement: "Terms relating to the purchase not expressly contained herein are not binding" with each of you signed under it.

• Love
Reactions: MrMannilow
But yet, here is the quote from our purchase agreement: "Terms relating to the purchase not expressly contained herein are not binding"

Since the people asking here are all buying FSD outside of the original car purchase agreement why would you imagine that quote has anything to do with a separate purchase?

or a better question- why are you convinced a specific statement the company has repeatedly, consistently,publicly, made over and over, all such mention of the topic saying exactly the same thing, including on official investor calls archived on their own website, for the entire history of anyone knowing HW3 officially existed, not true?

Since the people asking here are all buying FSD outside of the original car purchase agreement why would you imagine that quote has anything to do with a separate purchase?

or a better question- why are you convinced a specific statement the company has repeatedly, consistently,publicly, made over and over, all such mention of the topic saying exactly the same thing, including on official investor calls archived on their own website, for the entire history of anyone knowing HW3 officially existed, not true?

Because It would be like 5 minutes of some web designer at tesla's time to add the statement that @OCR1 stated (or something like it) to their website underneath the full self driving option... but they havent. Also, no tesla employee will put anything in any sort of writing, even in email, when asked the question directly. I asked tesla customer service via email the same question (to please confirm HW3 comes with FSD purchases made NOW as well as those made in the past), and have not received a response.

Other people have gotten "refer to elons tweets" which is a non answer to a direct question.. as far as I know "twitter" is not binding on any sort of purchase agreement.

All tesla HAS to do is deliver the features stated under FSD. If they can do so without the new hardware, they can. Doesnt mean they will, but they can. Doesnt mean there wont be a lot of angry people, but they can.

I am one who purchased EAP with the car for 5k, and just purchased FSD for 2k because I want the new hardware. I am going to be pretty disappointed if they dont give me the new hardware eventually.. but they havent PROMISED anything outside of an elon tweet, and he tweets all sorts of things.

Thats why everyone (including me, who still purchased anyway) is hesitant. Tesla refuses to put something so simple in writing for "reasons". Those reasons could be innocent (as in they dont want to confuse people, etc ) or they could be less innocent.

I personally think that Tesla employees dont know, because there is no internal written policy for them to refer to... only elon's tweets, and that any real policy on this will not be developed until they release the new hardware and elon decides how and when he will do it. I still think that elon will eventually give it to those of us who purchased FSD now which is why I purchased, but everyones hesitancy makes perfect sense if you have the same opinions I do, which it seems like many do.

I am uncertain because of all the other statements that have gotten similar play by Elon on Twitter and the investors calls that didn’t come to pass. Like the coast-to-coast demo or all the missed timelines on when an FSD feature will be released for example. So it is hard to say what Elon statement Tesla will follow through on and which one they won’t.

The hardware upgrade is going to cost money and time in the service centers, and based on recent company actions, I am not sure they are going to want to outlay those costs. I think Elon also said recently it was possible to program FSD to work on the current hardware, so I wonder if Tesla will decide that is a cheaper solution than retrofits.

Because It would be like 5 minutes of some web designer at tesla's time to add the statement

If we listed all the "easy and obvious" crap that'd take someone 5 minutes but Tesla has left unfixed for years we'd be here all day.

See all the folks who've been asking for their car to remember their last source/resume on audio since, what, 2012?

In this case it makes even less sense since as far as the company is concerned this has already been clearly stated over and over to anyone who cares to look.... and to anyone unaware of the HW differences mentioning it on the configuator would just lead to confusion and even more stupid questions.

So that's a pretty crap argument.

Also, no tesla employee will put anything in any sort of writing

I mean- except the CEO. Publicly and repeatedly.

It's pretty weird folks keep ignoring that and insisted they would rather have some level 1 CS rep do it.

Other people have gotten "refer to elons tweets" which is a non answer to a direct question.. as far as I know "twitter" is not binding on any sort of purchase agreement.

The SEC seems to think it's pretty binding. Courts too.

Why don't you?

All tesla HAS to do is deliver the features stated under FSD. If they can do so without the new hardware, they can.

Except they can't.

Which they've also repeatedly, publicaly, and in writing stated.

FSDs coming features require HW3.

Which is why they're giving you that free if you bought FSD.

Like they told you the first 10 times.

Thats why everyone (including me, who still purchased anyway) is hesitant.

As far as I can tell it's like 5 guys on here who are "hesitant" to accept facts is all it is.

Most everyone else understands what Tesla has been saying, consistently, since at least last year (and arguable since 2017- since they said back then if you need a HW upgrade to get FSD you will get it, free, during the 2->2.5 transition- same message here with 3)

Tesla refuses to put something so simple in writing for "reasons".

One of them being they already have, repeatedly.

You even pointed out some reps refer you directly to where the CEO put it in writing

And then insist they've never put it in writing.

It makes it really hard to believe you few doubters are being sincere.

I still think that elon will eventually give it to those of us who purchased FSD now

Given that is literally what he has said since at least August I think so too.

It's bizarre anyone doesn't.

The SEC is attempting to hold Musk in contempt for making false or misleading statements via Twitter. So of course we should believe everything Musk tweets without any skepticism. Makes perfect sense.

That should at least make you believe what he says on twitter has legal consequences.

But you guys seem to want it both ways...for...reasons....

"What he says on twitter means nothing! Also he's being legally held responsible for what he says on twitter!"

Last edited:
Reactions: notAnExpert
That should at least make you believe what he says on twitter has legal consequences.

But you guys seem to want it both ways...for...reasons....

"What he says on twitter means nothing! Also he's being legally held responsible for what he says on twitter!"

But I guess we do get it both ways. The things he has been held legally responsible for have had directly to do with stock manipulation. He also not been held responsible for inaccurate statements about products, features and timing.

The SEC likely does not care about an obscure statement about computer hardware in cars and they are the only regulatory body holding his feet to the fire about Twitter statements.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
I still expect in the future, the price will come down again. I think the problem was that they lowered it too soon. I am still not purchasing either and will not until the prices come way down. If it never comes under $1k, oh well, I rather keep my money as I didn't use it much on my Model S.

But I guess we do get it both ways. The things he has been held legally responsible for have had directly to do with stock manipulation. He also not been held responsible for inaccurate statements about products, features and timing.

The SEC likely does not care about an obscure statement about computer hardware in cars and they are the only regulatory body holding his feet to the fire about Twitter statements.

The SEC likely doesn't care about HW3.

But the courts, which are holding his tweets as official statements from the company, would do the same in any lawsuit over failure to deliver the promised upgrade of HW if for some reason they suddenly ignored something they've repeatedly, explicitly, and clearly, promised to customers as coming with the FSD purchase since last year.

So when someone keeps dismissing the tweets as "meaningless" while also pointing out courts hold them as legally valid statements, they are contradicting their own, already very poor, argument.

This is compounded by them having made the SAME promise on HW3 in their own investor call, which is archived on their own public website. But you don't believe THAT either...because.... REASONS!

Reactions: Mod3forMe
The SEC likely doesn't care about HW3.

But the courts, which are holding his tweets as official statements from the company, would do the same in any lawsuit over failure to deliver the promised upgrade of HW if for some reason they suddenly ignored something they've repeatedly, explicitly, and clearly, promised to customers as coming with the FSD purchase since last year.

So when someone keeps dismissing the tweets as "meaningless" while also pointing out courts hold them as legally valid statements, they are contradicting their own, already very poor, argument.

This is compounded by them having made the SAME promise on HW3 in their own investor call, which is archived on their own public website. But you don't believe THAT either...because.... REASONS!

I find it strange people still think Tesla went through all the trouble of developing this new AP computer, re-write the entire AP code base, and constantly hype it up just so they can dangle it as bait to screw people over.

Reactions: Knightshade
I find it strange people still think Tesla went through all the trouble of developing this new AP computer, re-write the entire AP code base, and constantly hype it up just so they can dangle it as bait to screw people over.

yeah....that too....

Are they thinking HW3 doesn't exist or something? Because that makes no sense on multiple levels.

Do they think only new cars will get it and no retrofits? Which also makes 0 sense as it'd require a TON of extra (possibly not even doable) working maintaining extra codebases/forks and far more than doubling the development work required going forward for FSD owners.

None of the ideas make sense at all based on any known facts other than -Tesla developed HW3, and it's really going to go to anyone who ordered FSD in addition to new vehicles after a certain point.