Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am at a loss: is the $2k FSD offer going away on Monday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you bought 6 months ago you paid $3k for EAP right, plus $5k for FSD is $8k. New buyers will still pay $8k to get to FSD. What's the problem?

Actually 6 month ago buyers would pay $10K, hence his complaint. The other issue is that current buyers buy AP then buy FSD which contains mostly EAP features. So his point is if you have EAP, paying the same for FSD feels like you’re buying a lot of what you already paid for again.

Reactions: A2Mod3
If you bought 6 months ago you paid $3k for EAP right, plus $5k for FSD is $8k. New buyers will still pay $8k to get to FSD. What's the problem?
I paid $5k for EAP (vs the $3k for current EAP), and now would have to pay a full $5k for FSD when new buyers would only pay $3k for EAP and $5k for FSD. $10k in total for me, $8k for new.

Further, the EAP I purchased was marketed as including every currently active feature of FSD. Considering new buyers get the parts I already bought, and future things, for the same price for me to add only the future things... can you see the inequity?

I paid $5k for EAP (vs the $3k for current EAP), and now would have to pay a full $5k for FSD when new buyers would only pay $3k for EAP and $5k for FSD. $10k in total for me, $8k for new.

Further, the EAP I purchased was marketed as including every currently active feature of FSD. Considering new buyers get the parts I already bought, and future things, for the same price for me to add only the future things... can you see the inequity?

no, not really, but I am not you so what I think doesnt matter to you. If it really bothered you, you likely would have bought it for 2k when it was available, thus making the total 7k vs the 8k new buyers pay... but you didnt for some reason. Maybe you thought they wouldnt raise the price? Maybe you thought it was unfair to pay 7k for something a few people were going to pay 5k for (previous buyers who didnt spring for EAP)?

You have what you paid for. The features are still active on your car. New buyers will pay 8k for those features, you chose not to upgrade. That was your choice.

Reactions: rking0122

In September EAP was $5k and FSD was $3k when ordered with the car. Now it is $3k for AP and $5k for FSD. Again what's the issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: -motts-
Didn’t think it would go up by that much.
You are wrong about this.

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
In this blog they announced it but I do not see an announcement for the increase except a tweet a forum user pointed out.
This is a very bad way of managing sales.
if you own a Tesla, you have to subscribe to Elon’s twitter. The sale was clearly not for everyone. It was for the fanboys freaking out on social media about the prices going down and feeling ripped off. Then Tesla quickly changed their mind and ended it, but everyone got lots of warnings and a time extension of several extra days.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
Can’t agree more. Maybe they had to revert back to the original price to avoid a lawsuit. This does not make sense.
They said they regretted the sale. Everyone was talking about it. Even the major news companies said prices were going up. I’m not defending Tesla’s behavior, but they weren’t hiding anything. Again this was to appease the upset buyers on social media mad about price drops. They didn’t want everyone to know about it or buy it. They were trying to calm a mob and then they gave up and raised prices.

Reactions: untilcomplete
This whole situation with the Tesla price changes just happened to me for a vacation. We booked it early at a price we're happy with, we mentioned it to another family and they were undecided until the price just dropped one day for a better room and less than our price! Am I going to jump on social media and tweet the CEO of the resort for something? No, I'm just happy our friends can join us now.

Same for here, I'm happy more people can get to enjoy Autopilot today (it's real and useful) and FSD in the future like the rest of us.

Reactions: DriveMe
Waitaminute! I got the car with EAP in December 2018. This month I was happy to read I could add the FSD upgrade (newer CPU etc) for $2k, so I planned to do it soon, when money came in.

Now when I look on my account it says $5k. No idea it was temporary. Why would I think my car company runs like a TV kitchenware "if you call right now" operation? As if we didn't have anything better to do than hang out on twitter, credit card in hand, or we lose $3,000!?

What can I believe? No point in planning, then, and certainly no point in buying vaporware. Think it doesn't matter? Wake up, Elon, I loaned you $1,000 interest-free to "reserve" a car, on trust alone. That emotional state netted you $100,000,000.00 of operating capital. I love my Mod 3, but this trivial BS actually ding'ed my trust in Tesla by a full letter grade, to the point where I would no longer unequivocally recommend Tesla as the only car to buy. Unpredictable. Maybe people should instead wait for the grownups in the industry to catch up on the EV and software, as they will.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: derotam
Waitaminute! I got the car with EAP in December 2018. This month I was happy to read I could add the FSD upgrade (newer CPU etc) for $2k, so I planned to do it soon, when money came in.

Now when I look on my account it says $5k. No idea it was temporary. Why would I think my car company runs like a TV kitchenware "if you call right now" operation? As if we didn't have anything better to do than hang out on twitter, credit card in hand, or we lose $3,000!?

What can I believe? No point in planning, then, and certainly no point in buying vaporware. Think it doesn't matter? Wake up, Elon, I loaned you $1,000 interest-free to "reserve" a car, on trust alone. That emotional state netted you $100,000,000.00 of operating capital. But this BS actually ding'ed my trust in Tesla by a full letter grade.

So you read that the price went down and then stopped reading anything Tesla talking about the price going up again? There was even an extra 3 day delay in the price raise!

Sorry you missed it but the info has been out in the open.

A 3 day delay? Hurry, order now? Read the fine print? On vaporware costing around 10% of a $60,000 luxury car?

I'm not disputing you might be fine with that. But let's consider. Many of us here accept that actual "Full Self Driving" is hyperbole. Others would say it's grossly misleading. No car is going to go pick up your kids at school in the city and bring them safely home, not in 2019, not for a good while. The difference in perceived truth, or reality, lies in trust, comfort level. If Tesla doesn't coddle the early adopters with a sense of being always taken care of, it becomes just another vulture in selling to the mass market.

Apple had 40 years to build its base of masochist zombie fanboys. Tesla's in a different time. I hope to see Tesla succeed with the wider public. They have to factor in a huge "cost of doing business" now in building unparalleled loyalty and satisfaction. No fine print games.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=" Unpredictable. Maybe people should instead wait for the grownups in the industry to catch up on the EV and software, as they will.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that wait and judging by whats in the pipeline be prepared for disappointment.

So now you are complaining that you missed out on paying less for "vaporware". If you call it vaporware but then complain about missing out on getting it then I dont know what to tell you.

Actually it's the hardware that matters to me in this case.

Good luck with that wait and judging by whats in the pipeline be prepared for disappointment.

Why are fanboys so sarcastic? Obviously I'M not waiting, since I'm here and I said I love my M3, even after all the initial bait and switch.

I was told that the car I was buying has all the necessary hardware for full self driving. Nonetheless, I thought that $2k, if it includes a better CPU board, maybe more sensors, for more (maybe) features, was a plausible offer, if we're operating at a high level of trust. Even though "FSD" isn't even remotely like "Fully Self Driving" in plain English. The chart that I saw that on didn't mention that $2k was a short-term offer. Now, maybe, for you, a few thousand here and there doesn't matter, but I'm not a one percenter, and I feel let down in my expectation of stability.

Allow me one more thought. I don't like buying virtual things that can disappear on a whim. Music that can only be played while on-line, software that stops working, history books that change whenever The Party leadership changes, like they do in China. I had very mixed feelings about buying a $60k car that's so completely software based, with essential (for me) capabilities that are labeled "beta". What if my "beta" Navigate On Autopilot stops working unless I pay more? It was only because of a high level of trust that I bought it.

And, more broadly, maybe if my son is dying and so I'm late on a payment, the car won't let me drive him to the hospital, or drive it at all? This isn't sarcastic "Good luck with that wait" territory. Or complaining. It's a serious matter of the mutual trust that has made civilized life possible, and this trust is now being eroded all around us in too many ways. So rather than contribute to the mess, I'd hope Tesla takes trust, and stability, very seriously. Peace.

Last edited:
Your rant is a bit scattered and mostly confusing but I will say in simplistic terms .... a sale price is limited by nature. Whether you miss the flight sale for an airline or the flash sale on Amazon its of no fault but your own. Fortunately at this point in life TMC Provided an opportunity to break this news to you. No trophies for losing here. Get better at the things you value.

Evidently, I have not expressed myself ideally, so in simplistic terms, this isn't e-bay, so IMHO
1) I don't think "this week only" type flash sales belong on such a high end product and
2) We're cutting Mr Musk a lot of slack on the claims, it's not unreasonable to expect some stability.

What the blog (still) says is "those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000".

As to your role in "breaking this news" about how the world works to poor scattered and ignorant me, I wasn't being disrespectful to you or anyone, we're all Tesla fans here, and I think your condescending manner is out of line.

Last edited:
Evidently, I have not expressed myself ideally, so in simplistic terms, this isn't e-bay, so IMHO
1) I don't think "this week only" type flash sales belong on such a high end product and
2) We're cutting Mr Musk a lot of slack on the claims, it's not unreasonable to expect some stability.

What the blog (still) says is "those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000".

As to your role in "breaking this news" about how the world works to poor scattered and ignorant me, I wasn't being disrespectful to you or anyone, we're all Tesla fans here, and I think your condescending manner is out of line.

In my opinion, the price of a car shouldn't be a negotiating nightmare that can see the price swing thousands of dollars depending on how well each customer can negotiate, but it's been like that for how long now with traditional dealers?

High end product....what scale are you using...what is an Aston Martin Vantage, Ford Focus, Chevy Spark, Bugatti Chiron?

I do agree that these price changes have been a whirlwind but that is the way it is and as long as Tesla meets their bottom line, and maintains enough customers then it won't change. Can't please everyone.