Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting caught up in the hype of PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started this thread, and now have a VIN assigned, and a pickup date of Aug 17.

I HAVE succumbed to the hype. My own choice.
With this value of car, I have decided for full front wrap, including mirrors, plus headlights.

I want it to stay looking nice.

I chose a Toronto/Scarborough firm, that I will give props to, if it looks good. I'm getting it done, the day after pickup.
This firm wants 5 hours, vs 48hrs for other firms.

We'll see what restrictions they give me, cause that's not long for the film to "set"

Get PPF if rock chips really bother you and it's worth the cost of installation. Tesla resale values are high, and paint is not a reason for this. The only instance where a mishap might prevent damage that exceeds the value of your PPF would be something like a chemical attack like getting egged or being keyed. There's no universe where you can expect to get back the installation cost of the PPF in additional resale value. So either way, do it because you hate rock chips, or leave it off and just live with the chips knowing it's likely the more rational financial decision.

I started this thread, and now have a VIN assigned, and a pickup date of Aug 17.

I HAVE succumbed to the hype. My own choice.
With this value of car, I have decided for full front wrap, including mirrors, plus headlights.

I want it to stay looking nice.

I chose a Toronto/Scarborough firm, that I will give props to, if it looks good. I'm getting it done, the day after pickup.
This firm wants 5 hours, vs 48hrs for other firms.

We'll see what restrictions they give me, cause that's not long for the film to "set"
Good call. I was in the same boat as you, never had considered ppt, most expensive car ever purchased, etc.

We had ppt installed on the front end of both of our Model 3s. Definitely a good call. I see numerous indents, scratches and even a couple of tears in the ppt. All of those would have chipped the paint but now the paint is still perfect.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Interesting comments on this thread for and against PPF. Most of the people against keep mentioning resale value. I think most people who get PPF plan to keep their vehicles for a long time (myself included). We trade every 10 years and I am an avid car detailer. The Y is always spotless and I generally wipe the bugs off every night when I get home. For myself, PPF is a no brainer with how easy the car is to clean, I don’t have to polish the paint anymore, and the look of the Stealth. I could literally care less about return on my investment. When I park at a store and turn to look at that clean (chip free) Model Y I couldn’t be happier. Worth the $5300 we paid for it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We save over $400 a month in fuel costs. PPF will be paid for in 14 months. Let’s just not talk about all the accessories I have purchased. 😂😂

Interesting comments on this thread for and against PPF. Most of the people against keep mentioning resale value. I think most people who get PPF plan to keep their vehicles for a long time (myself included). We trade every 10 years and I am an avid car detailer. The Y is always spotless and I generally wipe the bugs off every night when I get home. For myself, PPF is a no brainer with how easy the car is to clean, I don’t have to polish the paint anymore, and the look of the Stealth. I could literally care less about return on my investment. When I park at a store and turn to look at that clean (chip free) Model Y I couldn’t be happier. Worth the $5300 we paid for it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We save over $400 a month in fuel costs. PPF will be paid for in 14 months. Let’s just not talk about all the accessories I have purchased. 😂😂

You piqued my interest when I read "avid car detailer" because that's what I am as well. Problem is a full PPF in my area is close to $8k. I'm good at justifying large purchases (just ask my wife), but I've still yet been able to reconcile $8k +tax. I wish I could.

You piqued my interest when I read "avid car detailer" because that's what I am as well. Problem is a full PPF in my area is close to $8k. I'm good at justifying large purchases (just ask my wife), but I've still yet been able to reconcile $8k +tax. I wish I could.
If your up for a trip to Atlanta GA? AP3 will do it for $5300. We made a vacation out of it. Also, they don’t charge tax as it is either built in or considered a service. It was $5300 out the door.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Th
The benefit of protecting all the headlights, taillights, fog lights, paint, etc outweigh the cost for me. I can’t tell you how nice it has been to do a quick wash and it is clean. I used to spend hours making a vehicle look perfect. Tar and bugs don’t stick to the PPF so everything just wipes off. I also don’t have to discover those annoying rock chips or blemishes in the paint when cleaning. By far the easiest vehicle I have had to clean. You should see my cleaning cabinet in the garage!

I have to say I was really torn about going with PPF. It is like getting insurance for your iPhone. Normally not a good thing to do financially unless you are really clumsy or accident-prone. I couldn't even remotely justify a full wrap so as I've mentioned earlier, I went with the full front and had them do the A-pillars to the roofline.

So far it has turned out to be well worth doing. I was gone on a trip for a few days and left the car at the airport. I have no idea what goo fell from the roof where I was at but there was some really nasty stuff that fell on the front of the car and roof. I had a heckuva a time getting it off the hood, fenders, windshield and roof. I think it might have damaged the PPF. It definitely looks really discolored. I doubt the paint would have escaped unscathed.

We had PPF on another car that protected it great for 80k miles. Then my wife hit something and we had to remove it. In just 10k mile where we live, and how we use the car, that car went from pristine paint to sand blasted pretty badly. Its paint is far better than Teslas. So in the end I just sadly chalk up PPF as another Tesla tax and in this area really need to do it on any car I think.

I have to say I was really torn about going with PPF. It is like getting insurance for your iPhone. Normally not a good thing to do financially unless you are really clumsy or accident-prone. I couldn't even remotely justify a full wrap so as I've mentioned earlier, I went with the full front and had them do the A-pillars to the roofline.

So far it has turned out to be well worth doing. I was gone on a trip for a few days and left the car at the airport. I have no idea what goo fell from the roof where I was at but there was some really nasty stuff that fell on the front of the car and roof. I had a heckuva a time getting it off the hood, fenders, windshield and roof. I think it might have damaged the PPF. It definitely looks really discolored. I doubt the paint would have escaped unscathed.

We had PPF on another car that protected it great for 80k miles. Then my wife hit something and we had to remove it. In just 10k mile where we live, and how we use the car, that car went from pristine paint to sand blasted pretty badly. Its paint is far better than Teslas. So in the end I just sadly chalk up PPF as another Tesla tax and in this area really need to do it on any car I think.

Could be rust... I parked a car overnight in a hotel parking garage and apparently a small drip on my side window dripped all night and when I woke up in the morning I had a nice "etched" drizzle of rust on the glass. Took like six cleanings over maybe a two week period before I was able to scrub off all the stuff on the glass...

What did you use to clean it? Just some sort of soap? I don't think I still have it all off the roof. I had a coating on the windshield so that helped it come off easier, but definitely not "easy."

What did you use to clean it? Just some sort of soap? I don't think I still have it all off the roof. I had a coating on the windshield so that helped it come off easier, but definitely not "easy."
Since it was glass I used a bunch of things... I actually used a retail glass "scrub" to remove water spots, then I used some vinegar and other household items like that to try and dissolve the hard water marks. I would be a little more worried if it was on paint... glass I wasn't to terribly worried about hurting the glass surface...

Reactions: DayTrippin
Since it was glass I used a bunch of things... I actually used a retail glass "scrub" to remove water spots, then I used some vinegar and other household items like that to try and dissolve the hard water marks. I would be a little more worried if it was on paint... glass I wasn't to terribly worried about hurting the glass surface...
Try a clay bar.

Reactions: DayTrippin
Here I am again. The thread starter.
I got my VIN, Aug 1. I picked up my MY Aug 14.
It was supposed to be picked up Aug 17, but got moved, but I already had made a PPF appt on the 18th, so I kept it.
I had Full Front Plus & Headlight PPF (3M Scotchguard Pro) installed by Alex at "Chip Protection" in Toronto/Scarborough (near
Ellesmere AND Midland) (chipprotection.com).

I am very pleased with the installation. It looks spotless. He installed in about 5 hours. I did not need to leave my car 48hrs like other installers. (I do notice some liquid in the middle of the front bumper, about 1/2" x 1/8", but expect that will evaporate.).
He is a 1 man show, it seems.

I have no qualms recommending. I have no kick back, but say Andrew recommended so he knows.

Now I'm read for my 4400km trip end of Aug (T.O. to Halifax to Cabot Trail to Halifax to Toronto)

Last edited:
I would say anything south of the Mason-Dixon line, heck yes, tint your windshield and front windows.

As far north as you are, I would rather have the solar energy to warm the car in the winter. I never bothered with tinting my front windows or windshield when I lived pretty far north.

also forgot to ask - is it worth tinting the front windows on the Y?

If you enjoy being watched like a fish in a tank as well as sun hitting you in the face don't tint.

In terms of PPF..I had it on many cars but only partial. For MY I have done full XPEL Stealth.

I don't give give a shiiiiit about 6K tax in I'm paying for paint correction, Xpel Stealth application, ceramic coating on top of stealth as well as ceramic coating my baller white leather interior and 20" inductions. To me, it's worse it as I:

- Love the Stealth look
- Love easy cleaning/maintenance
- Full protection against elements, chips, keying

Yes, it is a LOT of dough but I have zero regrets and can't wait to pick up my stealth bomber next week from the shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schulz1983