Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting caught up in the hype of PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulesVerne

Model Y Owner - since Aug 14, 2021
Jun 6, 2021
Toronto
Last night I asked a question about a specific PPF installer in Toronto, BUT am I just getting caught up in the HYPE of PPF?
My upcoming Model Y, will only be the 5th car I have ever owned.
Preceeded by a Corolla, an Odyssey, a Prius V, and a Mini Countryman, this Tesla will be the most expensive car I have ever owned.
I had never even thought of PPF for ANY of my previous cars. They say that the front of the Tesla, with no "grill" is a magnet for the paint being chipped,
and the fact that my Y "may" arrive with front mudflaps and PPF on the rear doors, installed in the factory, DOES point to the fact
that even Tesla considers the paint chipping to be an issue.
SO, am I caught up in PPF hype, or because the car is so expensive, the PPF options are a way of insuring my happiness and preserving my value?
Andrew

Totally depends on your environment. Tough winters with abrasive sandy road debris? I'd pay for the front PPF. However, it's my understanding that a bumper respray is comparable, possibly less expensive, than PPF. Also, even a minor bumper crunch would require bumper replacement, loss of the PPF.

If I lived in W. Texas, I'd probably do the full front PPF. Living in Ft. Worth, driving everywhere except west, I'm content with zero PPF, except the rear door flares.

I felt the same way as you when I got my M3 in 2019. I thought I needed PPF for my front bumper.

I went back and forth and eventually decided against it (thinking I could probably have the bumper repainted in 5 years for the amount most PPF installers wanted). In the end after two years I had a few very small blemishes from some of my longer road trips. I bought the touch up paint kit (only because the bumper was black under the white paint). It did the trick; no one would have been able to see where the few small chips were unless if they were looking for them. In the end I traded it in for a MY and guess how many questions they asked me about the filled in mini-chips in the front bumper? 0.

This time around I bought the PPF and will try to install it myself, even if it's not perfect I doubt it will be bad enough for me or others to care. Hope that helps!

IF you live in an area that puts sand or rocks on the road when it's slippery like here, a ppf on the sides of the car (lower portion) is almost essential. There have been a huge amount of cases of paint "sandblasted" around here, after just a few weeks of driving in the winter. Everyone puts ppf on the low sides. The front is similar, because of spray from following cars. I did a full front but that's not essential, it's peace of mind. I also have mudflaps that that's not enough here.
OTherwise, in nicer climates, it's up to you. repainting a bumper after a few years might not be so bad.

Reactions: Kelr316
It appears that Tesla is now testing out factory installation of the front mud flaps and the PPF on the rear door panels for those Model Y vehicles destined for Canada and the northern US states. Your Model Y will probably have the PPF and mud flaps too.

I have been one of the first to receive those front mud flaps with my model 3, delivered december 2019 as a 2020 model. I installed them myself when I received the car, including the soft rubber "extensions" that come with them. They are not good for my type of climate. They don't flare out enough so there are still projections. They do not protect the fender itself enough, and there is accumulation of dirt inside them. I do not recommend them at all. I had them 11 days waiting for my ppf appointment and I already had some scuffing on my paint that the ppf guy had to polish.

I have been one of the first to receive those front mud flaps with my model 3, delivered december 2019 as a 2020 model. I installed them myself when I received the car, including the soft rubber "extensions" that come with them. They are not good for my type of climate. They don't flare out enough so there are still projections. They do not protect the fender itself enough, and there is accumulation of dirt inside them. I do not recommend them at all. I had them 11 days waiting for my ppf appointment and I already had some scuffing on my paint that the ppf guy had to polish.
The Tesla mud flaps (front wheel wells only) for the Model Y are not the same as the Tesla mud flaps for the Model 3. These mud flaps were specifically made for the Model Y.

PPF is a matter of preference and having the financial means to do so. However, IMO, PPF is totally overrated. To PPF the whole car, it costs anywhere between $3500-5000 (sometime more) depending on the market you are in. Unless you are going to keep/own it still the wheels fall off, not sure if it's worth it. And, is having perfect paint while every other part of the car age/wear with time really going to increase the value that much at resale? I think not.

Remember: Tesla is truly just another car. Many millions of cars have been on the road for decades without PPF, and yet, years later, get sold (sometimes with very high resale) just fine. In fact, for anyone who has checked the used car market lately? 30% increase in used car prices. 99% have no PPF and the small amount of wear and tear from small rock chips on the front, are non issues.

I personally have sold many of my cars myself to private parties. Never lost a dime due to lack of PPF and the expected very small occassional chip on the front.

Also, are we 1000% sure removing PPF years later will not pull up any paint/leave issues underneath?

I'll do like I've been doing for years: Hand wash/wax/seal, and keep her garaged kept as much as possible (UV protection). If my front bumper cover gets really, really bad? I'll either get a respray for the $500 range or if its really banged up, order prepainted cover from Tesla and install myself.

To this point, "Also, are we 1000% sure removing PPF years later will not pull up any paint/leave issues underneath?"

I would be concerned. Having a layer on the paint means the light refracts differently in those surfaces vs the panels that do not. Who is to say there won't be discoloration/yellowing from UV, especially for the Pearl White cars?

After 11 months of ownership with outdoor parking in the PNW, I haven't felt it necessary on my blue Y. Haven't seen much damage, and the paint seems the same as any other car. I'm also curious if PPF deteriorates with time; other sealants you can simply renew every 6 months or a year whereas a film seems like it could discolor or peel - but I'm no expert. Yes, it depends on your budget, priorities, and maybe location.

Last night I asked a question about a specific PPF installer in Toronto, BUT am I just getting caught up in the HYPE of PPF?
My upcoming Model Y, will only be the 5th car I have ever owned.
Preceeded by a Corolla, an Odyssey, a Prius V, and a Mini Countryman, this Tesla will be the most expensive car I have ever owned.
I had never even thought of PPF for ANY of my previous cars. They say that the front of the Tesla, with no "grill" is a magnet for the paint being chipped,
and the fact that my Y "may" arrive with front mudflaps and PPF on the rear doors, installed in the factory, DOES point to the fact
that even Tesla considers the paint chipping to be an issue.
SO, am I caught up in PPF hype, or because the car is so expensive, the PPF options are a way of insuring my happiness and preserving my value?
Andrew

Do you care about rock chips? Will it hurt if you have three or four chips on the front end? If the answer is yes, then you might want PPF. If you don't give a crap, or you feel like the rock chip repair paint will be "close enough" then don't worry about PPF.

What I can say, is don't overbuy. For someone like you it sounds like just front-end coverage will be fine. Bumper, hood, mirrors, and headlights. Likely $1,500 USD or less for a good installer and good film (like Xpel).

If your car comes with the lower rocker panel PPF factory installed, great, if not, that should be maybe $500 for both sides. It's a quick easy install and not a lot of film.

This will protect against rock chips and protect the headlights against sandblasting over time. 10 years down the road the headlights should still look great and the car should be in pretty good condition. If you plan on selling the car in 5 years, maybe it's not worth it, BUT, be ready to take a hit if you have some rock chips up front or pay a few hundred bucks to have the rock chips fixed with touch up paint and maybe buffed.

After 11 months of ownership with outdoor parking in the PNW, I haven't felt it necessary on my blue Y. Haven't seen much damage, and the paint seems the same as any other car. I'm also curious if PPF deteriorates with time; other sealants you can simply renew every 6 months or a year whereas a film seems like it could discolor or peel - but I'm no expert. Yes, it depends on your budget, priorities, and maybe location.
Most quality films will offer a 10 year warranty against peeling and discoloring.

PPF is a matter of preference and having the financial means to do so. However, IMO, PPF is totally overrated. To PPF the whole car, it costs anywhere between $3500-5000 (sometime more) depending on the market you are in. Unless you are going to keep/own it still the wheels fall off, not sure if it's worth it. And, is having perfect paint while every other part of the car age/wear with time really going to increase the value that much at resale? I think not.
$7500 here for full PPF and windshield and side windows tinted. This is by far the most expensive car I've owned, only the second car I purchased brand new (the other was a Model 3 I trade in for the Y, lol) and I wanted the car to be "showroom" perfect. I was able to have my detailer correct the paint and remove any swirls in it and most of the orange peel "texture" from it. Then the PPF was applied (extremely professionally, I literally can't tell it's installed unless I look at the underside of the car), then a ceramic top coat was applied for ease of washing and a little extra gloss. The car is easier to clean and a little more forgiving. If I do put light swirls in it then just some summer sun will self heal the PPF and they'll be gone. I plan on keeping the car 7 to 10 years and I like it looking perfect. It would hurt looking at a couple rock chips after the first year or something and I HATE seeing swirls, especially at night under bright lights. (my Tesla is blue)

It's not for everyone, but it does make taking care of it easier and "locks in" the corrected paint. I probably could have instead had it professionally detailed for $750 or something every year, but I don't want to leave the car somewhere for a day or two every year and I don't want to constantly have them buffing away clear coat.

I probably won't ever own a Ferrari or something, but for me, the Tesla is my Ferrari and it looks fantastic.

I bought a full front kit from ebay 3M brand. In my area theres huge construction going on on the hwy i use everyday and you can hear the small debris hitting the front of the car, at least on the left lanes.
I don’t like the idea of shelling out $1.5k+ for this to be done at a shop.
All in all windows tint and ppf all diy cost me around $700 using xpel and 3M. Hopefully i won’t have to repaint anything in the long run since we are planning to keep this car long term.

I should also note that on my Model 3 I thought I just needed the front covered and the lower rocker panels. That was about $1600... within a year and 7,000 miles I had a 8 to 10 inch scratch on the REAR of my car. It looked like someone with a roller bag suit case had it rub up against my car as they lifted it into their trunk and the zipper scratched along my car as they lifted. It wasn't super noticeable, but after I saw it EVERY time I was behind my car at all I could see it and it drove me insane. It buffed out some, and I wasn't dinged any when I traded in, but I still could see it. Sentry mode might have caught it, but it was weeks later and I had been in the city and at hotels for four or five days, it would have been a lot of footage to go through since the hotel was constantly busy and cars just driving by would cause Sentry to record.