Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, the general public loves the nissan versa.

Hmm I looked it up. The price is 13K starting and they sold 75K units. So 100 million in sales in 2018. Model 3 was 5 billion. Seems like it is a super budget car akin to the OLPC.

upload_2019-3-15_4-9-35.jpeg

True, the general public loves the nissan versa.
I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic.

The Nissan Versa Note (hatchback) made it on 10 Least Satisfying Cars. I have a CR online subscription and for the Versa (sedan version), their predicted owner satisfaction rating is 1 out of 5.

(I'm actually somewhat of a fan of Nissan (on my 4th one) but not the Versa nor Versa Note.)

In Japan, they sell a lot of the Nissan Note (aka Versa Note in the US): 2018 (Full Year) Japan: Best-Selling Car Models and Mini Cars - Car Sales Statistics. (As as side note, the Toyota Aqua in Japan is the Prius c in the US.)

In the US, the best selling Nissan is the Rogue:
December 2018 – The Best-Selling Vehicles In America – Every Vehicle Ranked | GCBC
Nissan Group reports February 2019 U.S. sales

Last edited:
They used to sell a lot more. I’m talking about the taste of the public. They don’t care so much what a car looks like.

A key target demographic of Tesla is the upper middle class in the tech field, people who live in luxury high rise apartments. The design language of the model 3 and model y cater to that population. It's literally an extension of the typical home these people live in.

01-35-1.jpg

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic.

The Nissan Versa Note (hatchback) made it on 10 Least Satisfying Cars. I have a CR online subscription and for the Versa (sedan version), their predicted owner satisfaction rating is 1 out of 5.

(I'm actually somewhat of a fan of Nissan (on my 4th one) but not the Versa nor Versa Note.)

In Japan, they sell a lot of the Nissan Note (aka Versa Note in the US): 2018 (Full Year) Japan: Best-Selling Car Models and Mini Cars - Car Sales Statistics. (As as side note, the Toyota Aqua in Japan is the Prius c in the US.)
All I know is that every person I see over 60 around here who makes less than $60,000 a year drives a Versa and they all love them. Some even have manual windows and doors. I can’t speak to broader statistics but in my own obervation, 75% of people over 60 with limited incomes choose a Nissan Versa 2 to 1 over any other car.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
All I know is that every person I see over 60 around here who makes less than $60,000 a year drives a Versa and they all love them. Some even have manual windows and doors. I can’t speak to broader statistics but in my own obervation, 75% of people over 60 with limited incomes choose a Nissan Versa 2 to 1 over any other car.
I don't have exact stats on over 60 in the US but from https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-03.pdf, ages 62 and over supposedly only made up 16.2% of the US population in the 2010 Census.

Tesla is not becoming sexy in terms of design but rather bland and boring
Model Y is a copy-paste of the Model 3
It's a rather boring looking "SUV" for that price tag ...
All they focus on is "price reduction" and how to make vehicles cheaper for them to produce
There was nothing "wow" about the reveal of the Y, no new tech, nothing, just BORING BORING BORING

The model Y compares very favorably to the BMW X3 and the Porsche Macan in regards to looks. The advantage of the Model Y is clean lines and curves, unbroken surfaces that don't protrude, and plenty of glass.

Looking at the bezel on the Macan's "panoramic" roof, I can safely say that the Model Y is far ahead in the looks department. If your phone had a bezel that thick, you would be ridiculed on YouTube.

porsche-zoom.jpg

Same deal with the X3. Huge bezel on the roof. Has the ugly sharkfin on top. There are edges sticking out everywhere. Fake grills. I don't think Tesla has to worry about the competition when it comes to looks.
2019-bmw-x3-madison-wi.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-bmw-x3-madison-wi.jpg
    2019-bmw-x3-madison-wi.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
The model Y compares very favorably to the BMW X3 and the Porsche Macan in regards to looks. The advantage of the Model Y is clean lines and curves, unbroken surfaces that don't protrude, and plenty of glass.

The x3, Macan, Q5, E-pace,GLC etc. look much better in both interior and exterior designs
Tesla has become simply a boring company, they don't seem to impress as much as they used to

They are becoming more and more like apple

The x3, Macan, Q5, E-pace,GLC etc. look much better in both interior and exterior designs
Tesla has become simply a boring company, they don't seem to impress as much as they used to

They are becoming more and more like apple

As I posted, just look at the bezel on the roof of the X3 or Macan. There's a reason most high end phones are getting rid of their bezels. Because it's ugly.

As I posted, just look at the bezel on the roof of the X3 or Macan. There's a reason most high end phones are getting rid of their bezels. Because it's ugly.

Will you cut it with your bezel already ?

The X3 and Macan are much better looking, especially on the interior,
And I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but the next generation Macan will be electric only, Tesla is going to have a hard time if they are becoming so bland and stop innovating in both performance,tech and design

Just be realistic and stop acting like a tesla fanboy, model Y is uninspired and ugly
If it was the design of a 25.000$ car I would have said YES, but for a car starting at 39.000$ it's a big NO

Last edited:
Model Y is another disappointment but I guess that is what they are going for now a days. They are mass producing cars that all look the same in the same colors with the same boring 2 color interiors. They all look cookie cutter and there is less and less separation from the models and nothing unique about them anymore.

Reactions: GeoX750