Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person who thinks the Y is kinda fugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have completely different impression from the videos and from the pictues, e.g. those from the configurator... I really like the blue Y with black wheels they used for test rides... I hate the stills with the M3 wheels on, ugly as hell. So as always, to me, wheels make the difference! :). Hope they will make these black ones optional...

BTW, I love the S and X in turbine black wheels, hate it in the smaller sizes, especially the X...

I'm surprised by all the disappointment with everyone. This is basically exactly what I figured the Y wold look like and I think it's the perfect vehicle for the mass market. Take on the X3, the Q5, etc and start moving people away from ICE. Remember that is what Tesla is now all about. It's about mass market adoption of transport.

You want something cool, unique, and one-of-a-kind, then get a Roadster. These are meant to be high volume cars that will appeal to as many people as possible.

The whole expectation of the 'One more thing' is just out of control nowadays. Everyone wants to always be shocked and awed. It's awesome when that happens, but you can't have it every time there is a product release.

It's OK I guess. What really should exist is this:

tesla-model-s-shooting-brake-11-e1528818438541.jpg

Personally I generally hate SUVs, my Mrs loves them. But this is the first SUV I've looked at and gone yeah I could see myself in that.

I have a model S and it's, in my eyes, best looking car that I can get my kids in the back of bar none. The Y might actually be second!

Never thought I'd say this but it might genuinely be my next car! But for now an loving the S

Reactions: Olle and gavine
From a spec perspective the E-tron died last night. I can understand some people may prefer Audi as a brand and will feel at home in the luxurious interior, but $75K starting and 250 mi of range vs. $39K or $47K for 230/300 mi? Yikes.

Had Tesla made the Model Y more truck-like in terms of looks, the range would have likely been the same as the Audi. Aero is king when it comes to range and the shape of the Model X and Y are conducive to efficiency. Even the bigger, heavier and more-powerful Model X gets more range than the Jaguar i-Pace and I attribute most of that to aero.

Under those constraints, I think Tesla did a great job on the Model Y (and the X).

As a P3D owner, I never (and still don’t) like the front end of my car. The Model Y’s front end looks even worse IMO. But the rest of the car looks fine. I think most people are disappointed that it looks too much like a Model 3...

As a P3D owner, I never (and still don’t) like the front end of my car. The Model Y’s front end looks even worse IMO. But the rest of the car looks fine. I think most people are disappointed that it looks too much like a Model 3...

The disappointing part of all this for me is that given the fact it's exactly like a 3 but slightly larger, the darn thing feels like it should have just been introduced in March of 2016 as two form factors. I get why it wasn't, just saying...

Still having to wait two years from now, it doesn't feel quite so fresh.

The disappointing part of all this for me is that given the fact it's exactly like a 3 but slightly larger, the darn thing feels like it should have just been introduced in March of 2016 as two form factors. I get why it wasn't, just saying...

The market is only going to get intense here on out. By 2021, there will be more competitors. I’ll give the car to grow on me though. I didn’t like the model 3 front either and it’s not too bad anymore to me.

If you compare the Model S to X, they are similar in some aspects and you can certainly tell both are Tesla cars, but they have very distinct differences. The biggest being the falcon wing doors. With the Model 3 and Y, you don’t have any notable differentiation. It’s just hard to get excited for this launch, especially for current Model 3 owners like myself. I honestly was considering getting a Model Y as a second car when the lease of my Chevy Bolt was up in 2020. But since we already own a P3D, it would be too redundant getting a Model Y. I guess it’s either a used Model X or wait for the Byton SUV.

The market is only going to get intense here on out. By 2021, there will be more competitors. I’ll give the car to grow on me though. I didn’t like the model 3 front either and it’s not too bad anymore to me.

So being a potential Audi [Q4 E-tron] customer, do you think the legacy automakers are breathing a sigh of relief after last night's unveil? Feels like they've almost been given a chance to catch up...
Completely trouncing them would be counter to Tesla's mission.

I'll wait to see it in person, but my fear that I'd regret getting my 3 and want to switch to the Y quickly was unfounded. I'm underwhelmed. Hatch is good, but sloping back may still make larger items difficult to get in it. That being said, if it had air suspension I'd be tempted. I do like the stock chrome delete.

Design is really subjective and IMHO it's fruitless to try to convince people their opinions on it are wrong. Some like the Y, some don't. It's cool to state your own opinions on designs, but why criticize others for having a different opinion on something so subjective?

For me, my next vehicle purchase needs to be practical and utilitarian with a relatively large cargo area, something that can replace my Subaru Outback. 35ish cu ft of storage behind the second row with the seats up, little rake to the fifth door to fit boxy items inside, enough clearance to handle snow storms, AWD, 300ish miles of range, seating for 5, tow at least 2,500 lbs, below $60K before incentives or gas savings.

My early hope for the Y when I learned it would be based on the 3 was that they'd turn the 3 into a wagon, lift it a few inches, increase the diameter and width of the tires, and give it a tow rating. The heavily raked hatch design is a disappointment but I'll reserve judgement until I see the cargo area in person. I'm a happy 3 owner and hope another Tesla will replace our last gas vehicle, but ultimately it must match or exceed our everyday needs.

• Disagree
Reactions: S3XY1138 and Nilnoc
So being a potential Audi [Q4 E-tron] customer, do you think the legacy automakers are breathing a sigh of relief after last night's unveil? Feels like they've almost been given a chance to catch up...
Completely trouncing them would be counter to Tesla's mission.

From a design standpoint I would say yes. We are actually selling our q5 for a model 3. I recently bought a Lincoln Navigator so we don’t have a need for another suv. If I was in the market I would certainly look at the q4 and whatever else comes out. Don’t get me wrong, I want to see Tesla do sell. I’m from the Bay Area and seen them come up. The model S design wise is still probably the nicest full size sedan.

Design is really subjective and IMHO it's fruitless to try to convince people their opinions on it are wrong. Some like the Y, some don't. It's cool to state your own opinions on designs, but why criticize others for having a different opinion on something so subjective?

For me, my next vehicle purchase needs to be practical and utilitarian with a relatively large cargo area, something that can replace my Subaru Outback. 35ish cu ft of storage behind the second row with the seats up, little rake to the fifth door to fit boxy items inside, enough clearance to handle snow storms, AWD, 300ish miles of range, seating for 5, tow at least 2,500 lbs, below $60K before incentives or gas savings.

My early hope for the Y when I learned it would be based on the 3 was that they'd turn the 3 into a wagon, lift it a few inches, increase the diameter and width of the tires, and give it a tow rating. The heavily raked hatch design is a disappointment but I'll reserve judgement until I see the cargo area in person. I'm a happy 3 owner and hope another Tesla will replace our last gas vehicle, but ultimately it must match or exceed our everyday needs.

I agree you. Everyone has a different need and requirements for a car. Those that need utility might not care about looks. Those that want luxury might only care about looks and comfort. Tesla really is in a Toyota pre Lexus position right now were it’s trying to make cars for both consumer and luxury. Maybe in time they will have 2 lines.

I'm surprised by all the disappointment with everyone. This is basically exactly what I figured the Y wold look like and I think it's the perfect vehicle for the mass market. Take on the X3, the Q5, etc and start moving people away from ICE. Remember that is what Tesla is now all about. It's about mass market adoption of transport.

You want something cool, unique, and one-of-a-kind, then get a Roadster. These are meant to be high volume cars that will appeal to as many people as possible.

The whole expectation of the 'One more thing' is just out of control nowadays. Everyone wants to always be shocked and awed. It's awesome when that happens, but you can't have it every time there is a product release.
Well to be fair, when you have an unveiling event, people kinda expect to be wowed. Especially considering the hype around anything Tesla related. I did not expect the Y to look drastically different from the 3, but I also didn’t expect it to be this alike. It’s almost like they could have just released it as a hatchback version of the 3 and called it the Model 3H...

Reactions: mos6507