Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM radio in model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
March 1 2018 build. I have glass roof. I can turn off HD and that's it. I can't do AM.

IMG_3425.jpg

Interesting...

The Tesla website still lists AM radio as standard on a Model S.

If you don't have AM radio - then contact Tesla about getting the problem corrected.

Many (most?) AM stations have HD radio today. But the interface for HD radio is awful. If you're looking for a specific AM channel, unless you know the specific FM station and sub-channel, you may have to step through each FM station and each sub-channel until you can find the AM/HD radio station you are looking for.

Tesla could make this much easier with some improvements in the media player user interface. One possibility would be to automatically map the HD radio versions of the AM stations onto the AM user interface (which seemed to be what the user interface is doing, if you enable HD radio), so when you select a specific AM station that has an HD radio broadcast, you'd use the HD station automatically. And for the X & S that lack AM radio, the AM band would only provide the HD stations - and not be able to tune in those AM channels that are broadcast only in analog.

Many AM stations are rebroadcast on FM as HD subchannels.

Unless you get the AM station's HD/FM station information (from the station's website?), you end up single stepping through every FM station and subchannel, looking for a specific AM station.

Or you can use TuneIn, which also streams many of the AM stations. Though some of those stations are dropping TuneIn and moving to Radio.com. And TuneIn AM stations may block live sports streaming, which is restricted due to licensing issues with the sports leagues/teams.

Tesla could do quite a bit in the media player software to make this much easier. If you want to listen to a specific AM station (providing the AM channel name or station number), the media player should quickly point you to the FM/HD channel and/or TuneIn stream. And could help by providing a list of all local AM stations that are present on FM/HD or TuneIn.