Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon After market Spoiler Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my spoiler from China and I think it is actually nicely manufactured, you can't really judge the quality of work. Only thing that I noticed when fitting it to the car was that the left side of the spoiler was couple of millimetres up when other parts of the spoiler where nicely touching the body, so I needed to put some weight on it in order to get it fit seamlessly.

What do you think, should I put two layers of tape on that side or just bend the spoiler there and hope that the tape keeps it in place?

I just got my spoiler from China and I think it is actually nicely manufactured, you can't really judge the quality of work. Only thing that I noticed when fitting it to the car was that the left side of the spoiler was couple of millimetres up when other parts of the spoiler where nicely touching the body, so I needed to put some weight on it in order to get it fit seamlessly.

What do you think, should I put two layers of tape on that side or just bend the spoiler there and hope that the tape keeps it in place?

Put a dab of clear silicone on each corner and use a clamp with a soft cloth overnight. This will make sure the corners are snug.

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver

I would not use silicone sealant, just use two layers of tape for a flush fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Body shop wants $1,100 to repair my tailgate. Good times.
they could sand it and blah blah, but it wouldn't be perfect. So they pull the gate off, sand it, prime and paint whole thing.

For that price I would reinstall the spoiler and be done with it...

It's something to consider.

the car from (new to me) has always had flat spots in the paint around the license plate. I think it was scratched or damaged and for the CPO or previous owner tried to buff them out, but didn't quite get it. doing the whole tailgate will fix that too.

For $1100 I could have had an OEM one and paid Tesla to install it...

There really isn't anything wrong with the Amazon/ebay spoiler other than that tape promoter stuff causing water lines. I didn't use the promoter and the spoiler is on there for good. I get a lot of compliments about how it looks better than the OEM matte spoiler, even from P85 owners who has the OEM spoiler.

I have to reiterate what Steph280 said. With some prep work, ensuring everything is clean and taking your time, the spoiler looks amazing. I too love the gloss look of the spoiler over the matte OEM install. The CF really pops. As to the question about doubling up the tape or silicone. The left side of my spoiler was also a couple of mm's raised. I added an additional 2" piece of 3M Super Strength Auto Molding tape to each corner to give it a little extra bonding power, as well as a 6" piece in the center. The spoiler is locked down tight and is not moving. Have to remember that we aren't fastening some heavy cladding or side mirrors. The spoiler maybe weighs 3 lbs and this tape is rated for over 20lbs. Well worth the $200 IMHO.

When I installed mine and had the left side rise up a few mm, I was concerned that water would leak in and create the same mess that sabrtoothsqrl had. So I removed mine and contacted the vendor about the rise. They suggested i purchase thicker tape and it would give the bonding power that it needed to stay down. I was a little worried that forcing the bend on the spoiler "could" crease the trunk. I know its highly unlikely, but I decided to that I'd rather just forgo it all together. I am very disappointed, because I do agree it looks great and wish it worked out. I've already sold the replacement spoiler I received from them so I hope he it works out for him. Not sure what to do with the original one i have. Gigantic boomerang?

Can you share the link where it is selling for $200?

JC Sportline on Amazon had the spoiler for $199 for the longest time. It was reduced VERY briefly to $159 before it shot back up to $199, and now $289. It seems to fluctuate with the Chinese economy. Since they are tanking at the moment, along with our markets, I would give it a little time to see if it comes back down to the $199. Its like hitting a moving target. Suggestion: If you are interested in it, add it to your cart and check your cart a couple of times a day. Amazon will make the price adjustment for you automatically should the price change again.

Clarification to my previous post: The extra tape that I added to the corners, which is thicker than the tape they originally used, was placed in the void between their two rows of tape. None of the tape I applied overlapped theirs thus giving me a really snug fit the entire length of the spoiler with no gaps.

Can you share the link where it is selling for $200?

http://www.amazon.com/JCSPORTLINE-JC-XP228-1-Trunk-Spoiler-Carbon/dp/B00TQ4IJX6

JC Sportline on Amazon had the spoiler for $199 for the longest time. It was reduced VERY briefly to $159 before it shot back up to $199, and now $289. It seems to fluctuate with the Chinese economy. Since they are tanking at the moment, along with our markets, I would give it a little time to see if it comes back down to the $199. Its like hitting a moving target. Suggestion: If you are interested in it, add it to your cart and check your cart a couple of times a day. Amazon will make the price adjustment for you automatically should the price change again.

Clarification to my previous post: The extra tape that I added to the corners, which is thicker than the tape they originally used, was placed in the void between their two rows of tape. None of the tape I applied overlapped theirs thus giving me a really snug fit the entire length of the spoiler with no gaps.

Good idea ... any photos?

Just wondering about this.... Back in the early 1990's I had a Lexus SC300 5 speed with their factory spoiler. (this car was pretty much a Supra but normally aspirated yet the same engine and trannie).

Ok so, right from day one, when I washed the SC300, some water would collect under the spoiler and over time dribble out of the downhill edge of the spoiler. Just wondering if this dribble behaviors happen to both the factory S spoiler as well as the JCSportline version. I suspect the dribble would happen unless it was bonded to the rear hatch surface in such a manner that water could not get under the spoiler...

Here is an update with some pics. So I heard there were issues with the adhesive promoter provided with this spoiler (leaking when wet). I used the adhesive promoter and the car has gone through 5 days of rain (2 of them torrential down pours). So far no leakage. Here are some pics. One is a rear pic, the other is a side profile. I did wrap the glossy carbon fiber with some 3M flat black carbon fiber to match the rest of my accents.
IMG_20150823_150650361_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150823_150650361_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150823_135130101_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150823_135130101_HDR.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 396
@Drucifer did the same to the side markets and upper-bar of the front nose one, as well as the wheel center caps. Looks gorgeous. My car is still waiting to have all its body work fixes completely (4 months into ownership), so I haven't yet gotten to personal customizations on the car. I've got some of @rogerbmw's red lettering for my gray car when it's finally ready for me to put some personal touches on.

Your car looks great with the carbon fiber accents.
I ordered some precut pieces for the door handles, turn signals and wheel hubs from http://www.rpmtesla.com/ and installed this weekend.
I wish they also offered wrap for the rear chrome trim to highlight the Tesla letters. They only offer the Tailgate T-E-S-L-A Letters in Carbon.

cd0434_1e4fdb7ce19e47189ea2780e0f147fc8.jpg
cd0434_acf266f595744b26bf50d5d6c24a71a0.jpg
cd0434_1700f642b77b4a0eaad207cbad200e52.jpg
cd0434_8551339ffbac4d24bc1a0a3aa27bef82.jpg

Here is an update with some pics. So I heard there were issues with the adhesive promoter provided with this spoiler (leaking when wet). I used the adhesive promoter and the car has gone through 5 days of rain (2 of them torrential down pours). So far no leakage. Here are some pics. One is a rear pic, the other is a side profile. I did wrap the glossy carbon fiber with some 3M flat black carbon fiber to match the rest of my accents.
attachment.php?attachmentid=91666&stc=1&d=1440361385.jpg

Last edited: