Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient Lighting suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Yes I know this is a reoccurring topic

I agree with most, the lights in the M3 are far too dim, footwell lights, trunk lights etc.

I’m looking to change them out, car is Pearl white and I’m looking for suggestions and recommendations from other guys who’ve changed them out. Did you swap out to white ones? Did you change colour? Where did you buy from?
Thanks.

Was thinking of changing to blue lights but don’t know if it’ll look tacky and a bit boy racer

I did change to Blue (BoyRacer me!) in the footwells, but I am not happy with the shade of blue. I changed all the others to bright white and put the Tesla logo ones in as puddle lights. I would go for white lights.in footwells if i can be bothered to do again. Was a simple 2 minute change.

Early this morning in the dark, I noticed for the first time that the footwell lights stayed on while I was driving. I'm not sure I've seen that in other cars I've owned nor can I work out why it might be necessary. I have been reading this thread with interest and thinking about upgrading my lights but I'm a bit concerned that brighter lights in the footwell might be distracting. Anyone have experience?

Early this morning in the dark, I noticed for the first time that the footwell lights stayed on while I was driving. I'm not sure I've seen that in other cars I've owned nor can I work out why it might be necessary. I have been reading this thread with interest and thinking about upgrading my lights but I'm a bit concerned that brighter lights in the footwell might be distracting. Anyone have experience?
You can switch the footwell lights off. It is the Ambient light setting on the Controls -> Lights section.
My main concern is if the brightness of the lights shows just how long it is since I hoovered the mats!

• Informative
Reactions: Sparkeur
I've had the brighter lights fitted for a couple of months now, and hadn't actually noticed that the footwell lights stay on when driving, so can say with confidence that they aren't at all distracting. I'd assumed they went off when in drive, TBH.

I've had the brighter lights fitted for a couple of months now, and hadn't actually noticed that the footwell lights stay on when driving, so can say with confidence that they aren't at all distracting. I'd assumed they went off when in drive, TBH.
I have the Abstract Ocean lights fitted in the footwell, and they do go off when the car is placed into drive. There was a specific version for here though as they needed to be dimmable, I wonder if the type you have aren't?

I don’t have any footwell lights, presumably because mine is an SR+ with basic interior.
Is there any way to get footwell lights working?

Takes a little doing. In my SR+ M3s, the wiring and fixtures were there, complete to LED assemblies, but not enabled in software.

Even proffered <ahem> gratuity to a Mobile Ranger wasn't effective.

Tapped off the feed to the overhead light, snake it to a handy area for a solid state relay. Grabbed 12V from the cigarette lighter (I'm Old School, OK?), then to the existing lights and a couple of additional locations under the seats for the rear footwells. They come on with a door open or by manually engaging the light.

Bought high brightness LEDs from Abstract Ocean, replaced ditch lights, trunk and added two to frunk. Found How Tos on YouTube to learn how to remove and replace trim without damage.

I also grabbed a set of fog lights from EBAY. Same thing, more or less, used a couple of relays triggered by the low beams, got operating voltage fro the batt. If High Beams come on, fog lamps go out.

Why the relays? Many of the circuits get a little agitato if they sense additional current. Solid state relays keep you under the radar as far as current sensors go.

A little inelegant, perhaps, but it works. After all, the shortest distance between two points is sometimes a parabola!

Annoying thing about Tesla, I would be willing to pay a few bucks for the apparently simple act of turning on these functions in the software. But no soap. So it's McGyver time.

Last edited: