Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An ICE Driver's Disappointing Reaction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my car along with 8 other Tesla's through a 4th of July parade yesterday! :D

lots of enthusiasm and some people were telling me to rev my engine, but i just had to tell them that was was the real American Muscle. 550 HP of the purest American HP! :)

Reactions: boelkers
Took my car along with 8 other Tesla's through a 4th of July parade yesterday! :D

lots of enthusiasm and some people were telling me to rev my engine, but i just had to tell them that was was the real American Muscle. 550 HP of the purest American HP! :)

20170704_122802_resized.jpg 20170704_122807_resized.jpg 20170704_122814_resized.jpg 20170704_123804_resized.jpg 20170704_135109_resized.jpg 20170704_135114_resized.jpg IMG_20170704_202148_resized.jpg

There are people out there that are just haters. They see the car as a display of success and wealth and it reminds them of how their life just plain sucks. Instead of being happy for you they display animosity. It is really sad.

I make it a habit to give accolades to people who make the best of what car they have by making even the smallest amount of customization or just having it really clean and shining. Especially if we happen to be parked next to each other as we get in/out of our cars. It shows people you just appreciate a nice car. Not just an expensive car. Each person that sees that a Tesla owner is just another car guy is another person that may realize we aren't all just tree huggers with big bank accounts. The environment factor of a Tesla is actually pretty far down on the list of reasons I got the car. I know that is not applicable to all Tesla owners but it is to me.

I happened to go dining about a month ago and in the parking lot there was a small local car show going on. Someone waved me over so I parked with all the other cars "showing off". I explained to them I was meeting family for dinner but would come out afterwards and open up the car (MX P100D). Considering these guys were old school muscle car heads I got the normal negative talking points but when I spoke to them and explained away some of the myths they believed many really warmed up to the car. Some even got in and took pictures. But no matter how nice I was or how well I explained it to a few people they would walk away making snide comments. Maybe cause the Model X drew over a huge crowd and way more interest than any other car there. And there were some real cool cars there that I went to talk to the owners about. I was actually quite shocked how much attention the MX got.

This type of behavior, perhaps without the finger warning, happens to me often. If i want to pass someone in the left lane, most of the time in SoCal, as soon as you give the indicator to pass, another car in the left lane far back, accelerates just enough to prevent you from passing. With an MX, this is not difficult to deal with, however a few are not pleased at all with the aplomb and ease that i can merge in and out, ie speed up to pass, and slow down to return to the right lane. Then said offended car and driver, make it a point to speed up and pass again, only to take the next exit. This happens often, and i think people are not keen on seeing an SUV just pull away. Of course, if i were in a ferrari, lambo, etc, no one would care...
This. Even without the P, it's easy to place the car where you want at the speed you want. When moving to the left lane to pass traffic with lots of space for the trailing car in the left lane, I've experienced a bit of aggression from the trailing car as they move immediately to the right to pass but aren't able to make up the distance and overtake as expected. This will (hopefully) be a near-term issue as more electrics get on the road.

for parades
can you drive with falcon wings up?
yep! :) you can use a flat head screw driver to close the latch to fool it into thinking that the door is closed, but a Calibration message will pop up (shown in the attachment) but you won't be able to move your doors up and down.

FWD Calibration.jpg

In order to put the doors down, you simply hold down the calibration button until the doors go all the way down...

If you just put them up you can drive with them open and the warning starts beeping like crazy. to override this, just grab the cruise stalk once and it will stop...

Especially in Houston people like to shadow you on the highway in their souped up cars and try to get you to race. Mostly in good spirits in my experience they just want to see if their rod can beat the mighty Tesla.

Now the gigantic diesel trucks who smoke you when they drive by, those guys are just a-holes.
Both of these things happen here in FL too :) Some raised diesel trucks have their pipe just by my windshield making it hard to see when they drive by, downshift smoke you black. Wondering sometimes if one should show dashcam footage of it to the police, or if smoking you is considered normal

Both of these things happen here in FL too :) Some raised diesel trucks have their pipe just by my windshield making it hard to see when they drive by, downshift smoke you black. Wondering sometimes if one should show dashcam footage of it to the police, or if smoking you is considered normal

it's dangerously obstructing your vision...

Especially in Houston people like to shadow you on the highway in their souped up cars and try to get you to race. Mostly in good spirits in my experience they just want to see if their rod can beat the mighty Tesla.

Now the gigantic diesel trucks who smoke you when they drive by, those guys are just a-holes.

Actually smoking vehicles including diesels are illegal in Texas.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc and TaoJones