Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An Update to our Supercharging Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla needs to stop abuse of local supercharging
Why are so many people assuming this is the goal? It's not what the plain English of the blog post says. They list "reinvest in the network, accelerate its growth and bring all owners, current and future, the best Supercharging experience" as their purpose. I guess the last clause might include "stop abuse" (abuse I've never witnessed, BTW), but the first two obviously don't.

As they move to a model where they do cost recovery at time of service, it's not irrational to suppose they could remove that (presumed to be) $2000 from the up-front cost.

Unless ... the average SuperCharger annual usage, across the whole fleet, is exactly 400 KWh ... if that is the case then $2,000 up-front payment would be right for 400 KWH per year.

Are my sums right that $0.20 per KWh (my guess on price) would be about $0.07 per mile? - is that a lot for "fuel" in USA?

Unless ... the average SuperCharger annual usage, across the whole fleet, is exactly 400 KWh ... if that is the case then $2,000 up-front payment would be right for 400 KWH per year.

Are my sums right that $0.20 per KWh (my guess on price) would be about $0.07 per mile? - is that a lot for "fuel" in USA?
You beat me to a similar comment. I pointed out elsewhere that Tesla's supercharger usage did not go past 10% of total miles (at least for last year). This move is to prepare for the point when it reaches past that (it may have already passed that).

So there will not be any price drop whatsoever (putting aside the oft quoted $2000 number is very outdated, technically only paid for the hardware/software on S60, and does not represent the actual set-aside Tesla used per vehicle according to their SEC filings, which was $500 per vehicle for ongoing costs). The included 400kWh annually, is the level that Tesla planned for in their cost model.

Sure.
Are my sums right that $0.20 per KWh (my guess on price) would be about $0.07 per mile? -
That's about right.
is that a lot for "fuel" in USA?
Well, gas in my area is currently running ~$2.15/gallon or so, and Tesla likes to compare their efficiency to lux vehicles getting something like 25 mpg, so $0.09 or so per mile. (Just BTW, I pay about $0.08/kWh to charge at home, off-hours EV rate, so even in the era of cheap gas I'm still easily beating the odds.)

Overall, I think this is a good thing. Free just doesn't work well.

I have a loaner test drive Tesla. It fried my 50A circuit breaker (ouch), so I went to the local Whole Foods to pickup some charge. Same Tesla I notice plugged in there every day. Anything from 30 min to 4 hours. Yesterday it was there from 6pm-9pm. Again there today from 10am-11am.

Tesla needs to stop abuse of local supercharging

Why are so many people assuming this is the goal? It's not what the plain English of the blog post says. They list "reinvest in the network, accelerate its growth and bring all owners, current and future, the best Supercharging experience" as their purpose. I guess the last clause might include "stop abuse" (abuse I've never witnessed, BTW), but the first two obviously don't.

Plain English from the Blog Post - before the words you quote:

We’ve designed our network so that all customers have access to a seamless and convenient charging experience when they’re away from home, as our intention has always been for Supercharging to enable long distance travel.

It certainly seems to me that the goal of this move by Tesla is to stop local supercharging. Even before the words you quote, they say their intention has always been for long distance travel. There would be no need to say that if local supercharging was not a concern.

I think we all knew this was coming. "Free" doesn't work because people abuse it.