Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And so it begins: My S75's repair journey...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the way to work this morning, driving along (not speeding!) in the left lane, when a tractor-trailer in the right lane decided to turn on his signal and start changing lanes right away. I didn't even have enough time to react! Interestingly enough, the "Automatic Emergency Braking" never kicked in. Maybe because the impact was from a side angle?

My poor Tesla is still driveable (actually drove to work in it afterward), but will definitely need repairs.

As of right now, the only warning on the screen inside is "Park Assist Unavailable". Ironically, even the Autopilot and Cruise-control option icons appear when driving, so the system seems to be undamaged on that end at least.

I got in touch with my Tesla Service Center (Owings Mills, MD), who directed me to go to one of their "certified" Tesla Repair partners; Service King Collision Repair (Glen Burnie, MD). Going to be doing that after work today. Dropping off the Tesla, picking up a rental car, and going on with my day.

Starting this thread as a journal of my first Tesla repair experience. Here's to hoping things progress smoothly!

IMG_20170929_074740.jpg IMG_20170929_085517.jpg

I feel for you. I was in an even worse accident Wednesday morning -- story to come. Let us hope that neither of us winds up without our cars for too long due to repair delays. My "local" (ha!) shops says those problems have gotten a lot better in recent months.

Last edited:
I'm also without my baby for an indeterminate amount of time, though not because of an accident. My front louvers won't open and for 3 nights in a row, while charging, the fan would be going extremely loud. And then after the 3rd night, the car wouldn't start in the morning until the wife did the SUPER hard reset(something involving stepping on the brake and pressing the skip song/voice command buttons, waiting for a Tesla logo to come on the IC and then, within a 3 second window, quickly pressing and holding down the scroll wheels). At that point, I decided to call in and arrange to drop her off right away for repairs, in fear of damaging the battery.

So now they have me in a giant monstrosity Chevy Traverse, at least until they get another loaner Tesla in.

My guess is 14k and 3 months :(
Noooo :( Don't say that!

I feel for you. I was in an even worse accident Wednesday morning -- story to come. Let us hope that neither of us win up without our cars for too long due to repair delays. My "local" (ha!) shops says those problems have gotten a lot better in recent months.
Yikes!! Hope you're alright. And yes, I hope it works out smoothly for us both. And hope the "local" shop takes care of ya! :)

Ouch. Glad everyone is ok!
Thank you!

I'm also without my baby for an indeterminate amount of time, though not because of an accident. My front louvers won't open and for 3 nights in a row, while charging, the fan would be going extremely loud. And then after the 3rd night, the car wouldn't start in the morning until the wife did the SUPER hard reset(something involving stepping on the brake and pressing the skip song/voice command buttons, waiting for a Tesla logo to come on the IC and then, within a 3 second window, quickly pressing and holding down the scroll wheels). At that point, I decided to call in and arrange to drop her off right away for repairs, in fear of damaging the battery.

So now they have me in a giant monstrosity Chevy Traverse, at least until they get another loaner Tesla in.
Hmmm, that's a new one. Don't think I've heard of something like that before... and never even knew of the "super hard reset" either, haha. Good luck, my friend! Hope it's a quick fix for you.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Let us know how you make out with covering the cost of your rental. I met with my State Farm rep last week and tried to get them to bump up the length of coverage for a rental from one month to 3 months. They couldn't do it. Just one of the limitations of owning a rare car with a long repair cycle. Best of luck to you.

Hmmm, that's a new one. Don't think I've heard of something like that before... and never even knew of the "super hard reset" either, haha. Good luck, my friend! Hope it's a quick fix for you.

Ditto. I think mine will be at least a couple weeks, because they have to order new parts. Unfortunately, I suspect yours will take longer than that, for similar reasons.

I got in touch with my Tesla Service Center (Owings Mills, MD), who directed me to go to one of their "certified" Tesla Repair partners; Service King Collision Repair (Glen Burnie, MD). Going to be doing that after work today. Dropping off the Tesla, picking up a rental car, and going on with my day.

My car was repaired recently by that same shop. They repaired rock impacts and I'd rate their work a 7/10. My dash cams were left running while the car was in their possession and they didn't seem to abuse my car in any way, which made me feel much better about their shop.

Trust of a shop is of particular importance to me, as the rock impacts were apparently caused by some joyriding(?) done by a different body shop that my car was sent to. My dash cams had been disconnected, but the app showed my car being driven and doors, frunk, and truck being opened after business hours, and while it was out behind the shop. When I notified Owings Mills about it and passed them the screen grabs / videos I made from the Tesla app showing that happening, they told me they'd fix all the damage, which included a new windshield. It was as if they had driven the car through a rock hail storm or something.

Bottom line: Service King seems to be okay and will treat your car with respect. Be sure to take LOTS of pictures before hand, including the condition of your rims and tires.

-DJ

I think AEB was disabled on one of the recent updates if I'm not mistaken, I remember seeing a thread about it. I think it only beeps now, doesnt actually apply brakes.

Really sucks, hope you get it fixed soon and its nice and shiny again.
AEB was only disabled on the newest of cars. Cars made after July or something.

AEB likely wouldn’t catch something from the side.

An update on my story:

Was out on vacation for 9 days; hope was to return to my Model-S made whole. This was not to be! Still in the shop. Current expected completion date: 10/20. This is the first hard date they gave me (and has not slipped yet). So here's to hoping!

Meanwhile, thankfully I have rental car coverage; enough for about 45 days, if not more. Would be paying out of pocket after that.

Keeping an eye on the car via the Tesla App. They have it charged and appear to be working on it (hood/doors open periodically). Hasn't been driven anywhere else (took a screenshot of the odometer on app when I dropped it off). Also, I've gotten periodic text updates about repair progress from the shop; that's a nice touch.

I have Progressive Insurance; the claims and repair coordinator person have both been decent thus far. Nothing extraordinary, but they have good communications but their follow-up on specific questions I ask has been lackluster; have to call them to get answers instead of them just getting back to me themselves. I suppose this is normal for any large insurance place. That being said, the online tracking of a claim (and its various steps) is pretty intuitive and neat for Progressive, so that's something to be thankful for.

Lastly, have entered this weird depressed (<-- exaggerating a bit here) state about my Model S; beginning to think "It won't be the same... what if there are everlasting issues after this?! The value is probably going to tank anyway... etc. etc." BUT, I'm sure that dark cloud will disappear the second I'm back in my trusty Tesla!

On the way to work this morning, driving along (not speeding!) in the left lane, when a tractor-trailer in the right lane decided to turn on his signal and start changing lanes right away. I didn't even have enough time to react! Interestingly enough, the "Automatic Emergency Braking" never kicked in. Maybe because the impact was from a side angle?

My poor Tesla is still driveable (actually drove to work in it afterward), but will definitely need repairs.

As of right now, the only warning on the screen inside is "Park Assist Unavailable". Ironically, even the Autopilot and Cruise-control option icons appear when driving, so the system seems to be undamaged on that end at least.

Starting this thread as a journal of my first Tesla repair experience. Here's to hoping things progress smoothly!

View attachment 250752 View attachment 250753

View attachment 250752 View attachment 250753

That looks like 295! Drive that everyday and pretty much a close call 2 or 3 times a week. Have started taking 95 more often with the new Tesla, even if it takes me a little longer.

Another update (10/13/2017)

Got a call from my Repair Coordinator at the shop. He was calling to give me an update on where things stood. I was out for lunch, so decided to just drop by in person to chat. Once I got there, I got a chance to see my Model-S in person as well.
  • The damaged front pieces have been taken off to see what else underneath needs to be replaced (attaching picture; yellow circles are areas they saw damage to, hence full pieces will be replaced altogether).
  • They have a Lifetime Warranty on all the work they do; this gave me some piece of mind!
  • They also have a person who does coverings/films (I had Xpel Ultimate on my front) who will be redoing that coverage for me, under insurance coverage.
  • Latest Tesla Parts update: As expected, they do not have the parts on hand and it's taking a while. The ETA for the parts (as of today) stands at 10/31/2017. The shop says that this could slip further. I'm keeping fingers crossed!
  • The shop would need to get the parts, paint/finish, do repairs, wait a couple of days, apply film, before the car would be ready. So even if the ETA of 10/31 happens, it may not be until 11/7-ish until the vehicle is ready.
  • I have a rental through my insurance until 11/10. Can probably downgrade the vehicle to get more days out of it; may make that decision on 10/31.
IMG_20171013_115247.jpg

An update on my story:

Was out on vacation for 9 days; hope was to return to my Model-S made whole. This was not to be! Still in the shop. Current expected completion date: 10/20. This is the first hard date they gave me (and has not slipped yet). So here's to hoping!

Meanwhile, thankfully I have rental car coverage; enough for about 45 days, if not more. Would be paying out of pocket after that.

Keeping an eye on the car via the Tesla App. They have it charged and appear to be working on it (hood/doors open periodically). Hasn't been driven anywhere else (took a screenshot of the odometer on app when I dropped it off). Also, I've gotten periodic text updates about repair progress from the shop; that's a nice touch.

I have Progressive Insurance; the claims and repair coordinator person have both been decent thus far. Nothing extraordinary, but they have good communications but their follow-up on specific questions I ask has been lackluster; have to call them to get answers instead of them just getting back to me themselves. I suppose this is normal for any large insurance place. That being said, the online tracking of a claim (and its various steps) is pretty intuitive and neat for Progressive, so that's something to be thankful for.

Lastly, have entered this weird depressed (<-- exaggerating a bit here) state about my Model S; beginning to think "It won't be the same... what if there are everlasting issues after this?! The value is probably going to tank anyway... etc. etc." BUT, I'm sure that dark cloud will disappear the second I'm back in my trusty Tesla!