Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And the day was going so well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It gets better. I had an alternator fail on my BMW M3 that was under warranty. To replace the alternator you have to remove the drive belt. Dealer called and said the belt looked worn and should be replaced and quoted my $250. The belt is $20. They had to take the belt off and put it back on anyway as part of the free warranty work, so they basically wanted to charge me $230 to go to the parts shelf, pick up a belt, and take it to the work bay.

It gets better. I had an alternator fail on my BMW M3 that was under warranty. To replace the alternator you have to remove the drive belt. Dealer called and said the belt looked worn and should be replaced and quoted my $250. The belt is $20. They had to take the belt off and put it back on anyway as part of the free warranty work, so they basically wanted to charge me $230 to go to the parts shelf, pick up a belt, and take it to the work bay.

Yeah, the Germans love to play that trick. Back when I had my Mercedes, I wanted them to install a block heater.

"You're in luck," they said, "All Canadian cars come with block heaters standard."

What they didn't tell me is that they don't attach cords to said block heaters. Turns out that's an extra. And because they have to remove a bunch of parts to access the connection, price was going to be $230 to connect a cord to my "standard" block heater. I had my cousin do it for $20.

Time for another update!

But 1st -- for those who want a quick overview of what's gone on so far...

1. 2 May -- Lots of crying
2. 5 May -- car taken away
3. 8 May -- 1st USAA inspection (some money authorized -- gross estimated return 3 weeks)
4. 13 or 14 May -- Part list sent to Tesla
5. 18 May -- 2nd USAA inspection (new estimated -- 26 working days for return, cost about $25K)
6. 30 May -- Parts for repair start arriving
7. 18 June -- 3rd USAA Inspection (updated estimate - 34 working days for return, cost about $37K)

Now that we're up to date,

8. 20 June -- More parts arrive, enough to allow repairs to really move ahead!

Proof you say, check out the pics!

Tesla_Repair_23June1.jpg
Tesla_Repair_23June2.jpg
Tesla_Repair_23June3.jpg

Nathan, Is USAA your insurance company or is USAA the truck driver's insurance company? I am curious because I intend to insure my MS with USAA when it gets delivered in September. Either way it seems as if they are on top of this claim and handling it well. They are a great company. Thanks for the updates on your continuing saga.

Nathan, Is USAA your insurance company or is USAA the truck driver's insurance company? I am curious because I intend to insure my MS with USAA when it gets delivered in September. Either way it seems as if they are on top of this claim and handling it well. They are a great company. Thanks for the updates on your continuing saga.
USAA ensures my MS. Thanks to all the safety discounts, the premium is about the same as my 2010 Lexus IS 350!

I've been in 1 accident in my life, rear ended real bad about 14 years ago. USAA handled my claim with ease, speed, and class all around. I will never switch insurance companies.

I had USAA years ago but they were no longer being competitive. Moved to Allstate. But over time Allstate has raised their premiums. It's time to shop around again. The problem of course is you can't realistically just move auto. You have to move everything- home, umbrella, etc., because of the way the pricing works.

Yeah, standard practice is for your insurance to go ahead and cover your car repairs and then they hit up their other person's insurance company to fight out getting back payed. This is to prevent delay in service requirements.

Nathan - I finally looked at your thread and am as happy as others at how everything has, so far, come out. Can you discuss whether you've had any discussions with USAA over DV? I believe none of the earlier posts regarding DV made any specific mention to USAA.

I have had USAA for 30 years. I realize that cheaper rates do not equate to same service. To be honest, I don't even check other insurance rates as we have everything insurred through USAA. Their service has nothing short of outstanding.
Yeah, shopping around for the lowest rate has never even occurred to me. The service is too good.

- - - Updated - - -

Nathan - I finally looked at your thread and am as happy as others at how everything has, so far, come out. Can you discuss whether you've had any discussions with USAA over DV? I believe none of the earlier posts regarding DV made any specific mention to USAA.
I would be interested in this as well. When my 1998 Honda Accord got creamed in 2000, I don't remember any DV discussions with USAA. However I probably didn't even know what DV is back then.

Before I answer that question, I must note that I had done some research on the topic based on inputs from this very thread. What I discovered is that almost all of the states allow for DV but only if your not at fault and its filed against the other parties insurance. So when I asked, since the internet is ALWAYS right, I really wasn't expecting much - if anything. Thier response was pretty much in line with what I expected...

{Me}
June 23, 2014 at 8:07 p.m. CTHi, Do you help with diminished value claims? And if so, what is the process I need to follow for it? Thanks

{USAA}
June 24, 2014 at 1:31 a.m. CT
You will need to contact the other insurance to request a claim for Diminution in Value. You can contact the other insurance at xxx-xxx-xxxx and reference claim number xxxxxxx. The other insurance will send paperwork to you with questions regarding your vehicle. You will fill out the form and submit it back to the other insurance for review of payment. Let us know if you have questions. Thank you for trusting USAA.

Zwede,

I asked and the response was -- you are correct it is a combination of the two. Tesla uses a purpose made 3m bonding adhesive specified by Tesla for their vehicles . They also use self piercing revits (spr) for short along with a Tesla specific rivet gun that only a authorized Tesla repair shop may purchase from Tesla . Tesla has a complete tool and equipment list that they require their authorized
Body shops to purchase to be allowed to repair the Model S as well as mandatory training classes by Tesla.

Thanks. To some having a car held together with "glue" might seem odd, but they build airplanes held together by adhesive. The stuff is plenty strong.

Any clue on how they got the old panel off? Many bonding adhesives will let go if you heat them enough. Wondering if Tesla is using one of those.