Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andersen EV charger support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've converted my A2 to 'dumb mode'. I don't want my device connected to a server, the security of which may not being properly monitored.

I know I can add about 38% of charge in a 4-hour period so it's easy to use full use of my Octopus Go low-rate period by scheduling a start time in my car.
how do you convert to dumb mode?

are there any advantages to doing this before (potentially) losing the cloud services?

If the data stream is not encrypted (sounds like it may be though), NREL demonstrated a hack of OCPP last year. Have a trawl through their published articles for details.

I think it would be feasible for another operator to take on all the Anderson charge point connections and allow connections to another server. But I can't see anyone wanting to do it in practice as I think most commercial companies would want you to junk the Anderson and move to their own chargers.

I guess as owners you could request the certificates from the administrators and build your own servers, but I'm not sure that would be an easy job. If the app functionality and back end systems are required it may be more cost effective to change the charger.

I do wonder if one of the reasons for Anderson to cease trading is that they have found it difficult to comply with the new UK charge point regulations. The fines for selling non-conformant devices are really quite large.

If the data stream is not encrypted (sounds like it may be though), NREL demonstrated a hack of OCPP last year. Have a trawl through their published articles for details.

I think it would be feasible for another operator to take on all the Anderson charge point connections and allow connections to another server. But I can't see anyone wanting to do it in practice as I think most commercial companies would want you to junk the Anderson and move to their own chargers.

I guess as owners you could request the certificates from the administrators and build your own servers, but I'm not sure that would be an easy job. If the app functionality and back end systems are required it may be more cost effective to change the charger.

I do wonder if one of the reasons for Anderson to cease trading is that they have found it difficult to comply with the new UK charge point regulations. The fines for selling non-conformant devices are really quite large.
I'd be more than happy to locally host my own instance of the konnect management software, though I am finding myself coming around to having just a 'dumb' unit - and not a bad thing either.

With the trend for EV/Alternative vehicles hitting its stride, and the legislations for enabling 'smart' wall charger units to be centrally controlled by DNO/Grid-side in event of peak demand spikes > having a unit that looks tidy, maintains a tethered cable and has zero Internet presence is actually not that bad (at least for myself).

Managing the schedules via the car can be tricky, but setting start time and 'target charge' within the 30-40% bracket worth of additional charge seems to work pretty well on Octopus Go.

Got an isolation 'rocker switch' on the inside wall from where the A2 unit is plugged in, si I never need tk touch the main consumer board fuses.

The app is handy, and losing the solar side is annoying, but for the cost of it, I can't see myself moving to a zappi or other brand anytime soon, and will be happy in the moment to treat it like a commando socket.

Each their own!

The app is handy, and losing the solar side is annoying, but for the cost of it, I can't see myself moving to a zappi or other brand anytime soon, and will be happy in the moment to treat it like a commando socket.

Each their own!
Losing the solar side of it being annoying in the present times is a bit of an understatement... honestly makes me feel the size of an ant. However as you said.... each to their own indeed :)

Does the solar need their infrastructure to work? Not available offline? Guess I don't need to keep troubleshooting that then :⁠-⁠\. Never quite worked for me, the CT clamp always reads +-400w of true and it doesn't play nice with the battery,. Just means I manually set a low charge rate on a sunny day and let it trickle. Not ideal, but better than it sucking the house battery dry of I leave the Andersen in charge.

Does the solar need their infrastructure to work? Not available offline? Guess I don't need to keep troubleshooting that then :⁠-⁠\. Never quite worked for me, the CT clamp always reads +-400w of true and it doesn't play nice with the battery,. Just means I manually set a low charge rate on a sunny day and let it trickle. Not ideal, but better than it sucking the house battery dry of I leave the Andersen in charge.
The App at least - no other way to set preferences, and as mentioned, still need to be wary of sucking the house batteries dry - though if anyone with more time on their hands cracks the Konnect command and control interface, I'd not complain!

Never quite lived up to the promise for me (Andersen solar integration), and would be a consideration 'next time round' on whether a Zappi would be a simpler install (already got a hub, harvi and eddi afterall).

Live and learn I guess - the Andersen saga is just a cautionary tale that the entire EV industry is still in its infancy, and these are unfortunately amongst the first casualties.

The App at least - no other way to set preferences, and as mentioned, still need to be wary of sucking the house batteries dry - though if anyone with more time on their hands cracks the Konnect command and control interface, I'd not complain!

Never quite lived up to the promise for me (Andersen solar integration), and would be a consideration 'next time round' on whether a Zappi would be a simpler install (already got a hub, harvi and eddi afterall).

Live and learn I guess - the Andersen saga is just a cautionary tale that the entire EV industry is still in its infancy, and these are unfortunately amongst the first casualties.
The big difference with the Zappi is that the core functionality is all local. The settings can all be set through the Zappi’s screen and the PV surplus charging works very well (it is their party trick, after all). The app is an afterthought (albeit it is getting pretty good), however in the unlikely event MyEnergi did fold at least the core functionality of the kit would continue to work.

I was reading on the SpeakEV forum that former Anderson founders S&P have approached the administrators with the aim of taking over the cloud functionality on behalf of existing Andersen owners. The talk was doing this for a nominal fee of about £1 a month for 2 years. I’m not sure if this will go anywhere and cost as little as £1 a month if it does, but at least it would buy some time for owners to decide what to going forward.

The big difference with the Zappi is that the core functionality is all local. The settings can all be set through the Zappi’s screen and the PV surplus charging works very well (it is their party trick, after all). The app is an afterthought (albeit it is getting pretty good), however in the unlikely event MyEnergi did fold at least the core functionality of the kit would continue to work.
While the core functionality would remain, you’ve still got the problem of a closed system, so no way of fixing any security flaws that may crop up and potentially no parts for replacements if it breaks (they do have a bit of a reputation for the screens failing due to water ingress which hopefully they’ve now fixed). The parts replacement is going to be a problem with any company that fails, though as you say hopefully MyEnergi are big enough now to reduce the chance of that (could about to get really big following the launch of the Libbi battery).

I thought the presumption was that connectivity was no longer supported ... in which case security shouldn't come into it? Zappi can do most of its tricks without the internet AFAIK. Certainly parts availability would be a worry though.
Certainly the connectivity is 'at risk', and with no active development, management or maintenance - will sooner (than later) be a risk that Andersen unit owners will have to accept or mitigate against by turning off their unit from active Internet connectivity.

Does make a good argument for commando sockets!

Here here, for hoping the Konnect app is maintained by an entity that is incentivised to keep it alive and well for those relying on it!

Does make a good argument for commando sockets!

Remember a commando socket is just the electricity supply. It doesn't, of itself, change anything because you still need a charge point i.e. the UMC ... (which is just a portable dumb charge point). It makes an argument for a dumb charging point ... but then 95% of smart chargers are capable of being disconnected from the internet and acting as a dumb charge point anyway.

I was reading on the SpeakEV forum that former Anderson founders S&P have approached the administrators with the aim of taking over the cloud functionality on behalf of existing Andersen owners. The talk was doing this for a nominal fee of about £1 a month for 2 years. I’m not sure if this will go anywhere and cost as little as £1 a month if it does, but at least it would buy some time for owners to decide what to going forward.
Attempting to pull a fast one with the administrators... It might be a £1 / month initially but then the rates will go up once they have rights to the app and customer base.

Such a nominal charge to a small customer base just wouldn't be worth the hassle, especially once they paid processing fees etc.