Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android 13 update phone key not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just updated my Pixel 5 to Android 13. Since that time I have been having issues with my phone key. At first it worked very sporadically. Now I can't even get it to connect. I've tried uninstalling the app, forgetting Bluetooth, rebooting the car, allowing all permissions etc. Is anybody else having this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: lulu2
Same thing happened to me. You have to unpair the phone in the car, then reinstall it as a new key.
When you say unpair I am assuming that you go to the locks menu on the screen and click trash on your phone, correct? If so I did that already. Tried to reinstall and Still didn't work.

Maybe I am just missing the big picture here. I am fairly tech savvy as an end user but cannot figure out what else to do.

I also tried to forget device on Bluetooth. It will connect Bluetooth but not key phone.

Reactions: lulu2
When you say unpair I am assuming that you go to the locks menu on the screen and click trash on your phone, correct? If so I did that already. Tried to reinstall and Still didn't work.
Yes, I went into the locks menu and removed my phone. I then went into my phone's bluetooth settings and removed the car. Restarted both and then re-paired them and everything worked.

As an aside, I initially thought it was an issue with just starting the car because I could unlock and get in the car but it wouldn't switch into gear because it said the key wasn't present. I was initially confused how it could work some times but not all the time. Then I realized...the phone key wasn't working at all. The only reason I was able to get into the car was because the "walk away lock" that I was used to was no longer working either...meaning I was inadvertently leaving my car unlocked all the time. If your phone key is not working, please make sure that you manually lock your car when you get out otherwise it will remain unlocked!

Yes, I went into the locks menu and removed my phone. I then went into my phone's bluetooth settings and removed the car. Restarted both and then re-paired them and everything worked.
How long has it kept working?
I had the same issue in my Rivian and a similar process appeared to fix it but then hours later it wasn't working again. Others on the Rivian forum have had the same experience.

I haven't repaired for the Tesla yet so I don't know whether it'll stick.

Exactly the same issue here, 2020 M3P running 2022.20.08 and Pixel 5 running Android 13. Wife's Samsung Galaxy SO works perfectly with the car as before. I've tried a complete remove and reinstall of the app, together with removing the Bluetooth pairing from both the car and phone, followed by re-pairing and setting up the phone key again. All a bit of a faff, and worked for about 24 hours.

Broken again now. Turning airplane mode on and off on the phone seems to sometimes fix it temporarily.

Certainly looks looks an Android 13 issue to me!

Been 24ish hours now. And it's been stable after I did the following.

Everything is still working (Garmin watch and phone key).

Uninstalled Tesla app.
Went into android settings > system > reset options > reset app preferences
Rebooted phone
Removed phone key and Bluetooth from car
Rebooted car
Installed app
Connected key and Bluetooth

FWIW I didn't uninstall my Garmin connect app this time around and it started to work after the 'reset app preferences' step.

Heads-up, you'll need to go into each of your apps and reset permissions (notifications, locations, contact access, camera etc). A pain, but so far worth it if the fix takes.

Been 24ish hours now. And it's been stable after I did the following.

Everything is still working (Garmin watch and phone key).

Uninstalled Tesla app.
Went into android settings > system > reset options > reset app preferences
Rebooted phone
Removed phone key and Bluetooth from car
Rebooted car
Installed app
Connected key and Bluetooth

FWIW I didn't uninstall my Garmin connect app this time around and it started to work after the 'reset app preferences' step.

Heads-up, you'll need to go into each of your apps and reset permissions (notifications, locations, contact access, camera etc). A pain, but so far worth it if the fix takes.
Unfortunately after night two, the persistent Bluetooth connection for both Garmin and Tesla key have stopped working again... Back to square one.

I had a few false starts, but I think the thing that actually resulted in success was forgetting the car in my bluetooth settings and pairing again using the car's bluetooth menu.

The things I actually did were to:
  1. delete the key in the car
  2. forget the car in the car security section of the app (click image of key card then forget car)
  3. forget the car in phone BT
  4. Reboot phone and car (hold thumb wheels until screen goes black)
  5. Put phone in BT search mode and use car BT menu to connect to phone (gives a pin you confirm on phone)
  6. Accept all permission requests about contacts and whatnot
  7. Add the key from the security section of the Tesla app
Again, I'm pretty sure the only thing I really had to do was forget the car in BT and re-pair.

I had a few false starts, but I think the thing that actually resulted in success was forgetting the car in my bluetooth settings and pairing again using the car's bluetooth menu.

The things I actually did were to:
  1. delete the key in the car
  2. forget the car in the car security section of the app (click image of key card then forget car)
  3. forget the car in phone BT
  4. Reboot phone and car (hold thumb wheels until screen goes black)
  5. Put phone in BT search mode and use car BT menu to connect to phone (gives a pin you confirm on phone)
  6. Accept all permission requests about contacts and whatnot
  7. Add the key from the security section of the Tesla app
Again, I'm pretty sure the only thing I really had to do was forget the car in BT and re-pair.

I tried all that and still having issues unfortunately. I'd be curious if your issues return too.