Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Animal Activism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderators comment (left out by accident):

And this is Texas! Asking people here to stop eating brisket would be on par with getting a EV tax credit passed. Not going to happen.

Yes, as long as you're a moderator here that may well be the case.

Let me go out on a limb here and suggest that as a busy moderator with many other roles, you've not had the time to click through and read the links I provided, or watch the movie trailer or any of the video?

I understand. But, please, make the time to do so. Otherwise, we'll have too many here become like those profiled by John Heywood:

‘There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know’.

For the others that have reviewed the links, or watched the videos, well, they will learn things they did not know. Their minds will be a bit more open, seeds of change are being planted. Hence the debate. (Which drives forum traffic, which adds value to the forum, which is what a forum moderator should desire, want and appreciate, but I digress . . . .)

Just like there are some "flat earth" types that still roam the Earth, there will remain many that will still be smoking and eating animal flesh for many decades to come, notwithstanding the decades of science advising that those are really unwise choices. We're not like that, are we?

May I please suggest that you accept the additional responsibility of being a moderator on a Tesla forum? You are the gate keepers. You control the conversation (just like the Chinese government).

Because you have this power, it is incumbent upon you to be as well informed as your readers, preferably more so. Thus, when you and the other moderators become better informed on the environmental, ethical and moral issues that have driven Tesla Motors, our "cause," to offer a Vegan Model S, you won't be so quick to shuffle off the posts/conversations that make you and some others uncomfortable with previous and current choices . . . .

Allow me an analogy: as a child, our family doctor had a dinner-plate size ashtray on his office desk. It was full of cigarette butts. His cigarette butts.

He never spoke to his patients, to include me, about smoking.

Likewise, the blind spots held by the moderators should be of particular concern to you, and to all of us, the members of TMC community.

Again: We drive Teslas.

We are held to a higher standard because we are proven early adopters, i.e. smarter, better informed consumers. By shifting these conversations to the back alleys of the forum you help perpetuate the mis-information that leather is just some other inconsequential option choice. It's not. Elon knows this. Tesla Motors knows this. Others that read and know the science know this.

Let us not allow lies or mis-information or the status quo to remain unchallenged. We're better than that.

This isn't about a car--Tesla is a movement. Some parts of this movement are ahead of some of the buyers, and, perhaps, even some of the moderators.

I know that you, and at lest one other moderator, can do better.

I ask that you please do so.

Threatening to "shoot the messenger" by banning me from the forums is unbecoming, at best.

I have not insulted any other member; any such feelings are only their conscience/guilt rearing it's ugly head. I have only politely pointed out where the huge differences between professed statements and real-world consequences (such as being an "animal lover and supporter" while paying others 4-figures to murder animals for their parts--doesn't anyone else fathom the absurdity of this?). And I have pointed out knowledge gaps among many of our members re: how much our ONLY planet's existential GHG problem rests at both ends of the animals we raise and murder for their parts. My posts may be longer than desired because I have provided extensive links, and cut-and-pasted the actual data/commentary from the experts. This is an uphill climb that challenges decades of thinking--facts are needed, not opinions; facts take space.

These issues have generated something called "debate." Please, encourage it and cherish it--it's the ONLY way things get better. We drive Teslas to make things better. These things go together.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark Peters
Hurst, TX
Owner: Vegan MS 85, P12195

Last edited:
Thank you moderators, for creating a home for this particular discourse.

To the now OP, please step back from the victim mentality and take a look at the current direction of this thread -- excluding your posts from that scan actually makes the picture clearer.

An intelligent, useful discourse is developing. That's a good thing. And it's because a directed topic was formed rather than scattered like aggressive spam mail across the forum.

Pls move this one as well please moderator. This thread is about my new car, not PETA and animal cruelty.

There is no 'path to' see which I take, as I stated in the other thread I'M GETTING THE LEATHER. PERIOD.

“Don’t bother me with facts, son. I’ve already made up my mind,” said Foghorn Leghorn, the animated chicken who appeared in numerous Warner Brothers cartoons.

I'd be depressed, but thankfully, societal evolution is a journey, not a destination. Perhaps this will be the OP's last car slathered in animal flesh, if all goes well.

And for the many other vegan Tesla owners (Leilani, et al), we have some work ahead of us!

TSLA Pilot: Listen, this wasn't moved to the 'back alleys of the forums' as you said, it is just as visible as texex91's thread. You were badgering, pestering and haranguing him (gotta use my word of the day) and trying to highjack his thread for some reason. There are hundreds of other people who have posted the leather option in their sig but you picked someone who just ordered their car to bother. This site has a lot to offer and if your only reason here is to try and shame people who bought leather on their car, this might not be the place for you. There wasn't a threat of an outright ban, just a warning that harassing members is not condoned.

Man, I really dislike holier than thou animal activists' attitude. Man have used animals for all time. And as long as people eat them, why not utilize their hides as well.
There are FAR more important issues in the world than this. It would be a lot more admirable to put as much time and energy in ending human suffering in some part of the world. Just take your pick.

I smell hypocrisy in this thread. Get over yourself will you, Mr TSLA Pilot.

Reminds me of this meme:

3ccqj.jpg

@TSLAPilot:

Some personal opinion here....I've read your posts (and looked at your links) and quite frankly I'm surprised at how narrow minded you are being while simultaneously asking us all to open our eyes and ears to your point of view. The concept of leather=evil and not being an environmentalist unless you're a vegan is childishly naive. If you'd come to TESLIVE you'd have heard me introduce myself and talk about what I do; I voluntarily gave up a lucrative corporate career to work for no salary on environmental projects; we drive electric cars and we're putting solar on our house; on a personal level I also do a lot of work with Catholic Charities and sit on their board, my wife and I are happy to share with poor, hungry folks, with single mothers, with HIV sufferers who can't get insurance....I could list all sorts of human projects we feel compelled to get involved in. Am I perfect? No, far from it. Am I evil because I have leather seats in my car? Well, I'd like to have a separate discussion on how many inhumane ways human beings treat each other in this world before we come back to leather seats.

I'm happy that Tesla gives folks options and respects differing points of view; it would be nice if we could all respect different points of view without the lectures. There's plenty of ways to get your point across. Heckling, long, condescending posts and suggesting all of us with leather seats are sad and/or evil is not going to do it.

[/personal opinion]
[Moderator hat back on]

Sustainability and health issues related to animal agriculture are important. Why else would Sergey Brin (http://culturedbeef.net/), Biz Stone (http://beyondmeat.com/portfolio/biz-stone/), Bill Gates and Vinod Kholsa (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...-bill-gates-is-investing-in-chicken-less-eggs) be investing in them?

To throw out a related holier than thou quote:
"On general principles the raising of cattle as a means of providing food is objectionable. It is certainly preferable to raise vegetables, and I think, therefore, that vegetarianism is a commendable departure from the established barbarian habit. ... In view of these facts every effort should be made to stop the wanton, cruel slaughter of animals, which must be destructive to our morals." - Nikola Tesla

I'm curious how long it takes before the climate change folks start chiming in with "will someone think of the children..err..animals!" Some might make the argument that if climate change might lead to an extinction level event for humans, it probably will for many of our furry, feathered, etc. friends.

I think I'm going to start a "My-wife-and-I-decided-not-to-have-any-children-and-unless-YOU-ALSO-SO-DECIDED-you-are-the-most-horribilist-persons-on-the-planet-and-ought-to-be-everlastingly-shamed-of-yourselves" thread. Human procreation is so many orders of magnitude more devastating and degrading of this planet's resources than is the raising and slaughtering of livestock that there is no second place.

Or....

we can all be respectful of others' decisions regarding how both we choose to adorn our vehicles and grace our dinner plates, and leave the prosletyzing to other forums. Your choice.

Sustainability and health issues related to animal agriculture are important. Why else would Sergey Brin (http://culturedbeef.net/), Biz Stone (http://beyondmeat.com/portfolio/biz-stone/), Bill Gates and Vinod Kholsa (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...-bill-gates-is-investing-in-chicken-less-eggs) be investing in them?

Why? Because as the world population increases, demand for meat & dairy products will outstrip the supply. People will need alternate sources of protein.

The only place leather products have in this argument is an environmental one. If the tanning industry really does have unresolvable environmental issues, that would be a reason to phase out leather production—not for emotional reasons.

We drive Teslas.

We are held to a higher standard because we are proven early adopters, i.e. smarter, better informed consumers.

TSLA Pilot — I am compelled to address your use of the royal 'We.' You seem to have a misconception of the average Model S owner and what motivated them to purchase the car. It's a misconception shared by many people outside the Tesla community, including the press: that Tesla owners are motivated by political correctness, that they bought the car for environmental reasons or simply because it's electric. The fact that the car is electric is what nearly stopped many owners from buying it!

I think it's fair to say, that if Tesla had instead come up with a gorgeous gas-powered sedan that gets 90mpg, does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and requires next to no maintenance, many of the same people would have bought it. For most owners, this purchase is about economics, performance and beauty. The green part is an afterthought.

I think it's fair to say, that if Tesla had instead come up with a gorgeous gas-powered sedan that gets 90mpg, does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and requires next to no maintenance, many of the same people would have bought it. For most owners, this purchase is about economics, performance and beauty. The green part is an afterthought.
Now this is an interesting question.

If you took away the "EV-ness" of the Model S but somehow kept every other characteristic (like somehow burying an engine of the same size exactly where the motor, inverter, and battery are), would I have bought the vehicle?
As phrased, I think my answer is "no for 2012" and "maybe for 2014". (I bought Model S "earlier" than my normal vehicle purchasing cycle.) I definitely wouldn't have "settled" for a Volt, Leaf, Fusion, or any of the other un-compelling (to me) vehicles offered in the "EV" or "EV and ..." marketplace.

If you took away the "EV-ness" of the Model S but somehow kept every other characteristic (like somehow burying an engine of the same size exactly where the motor, inverter, and battery are), would I have bought the vehicle?

I agree, this is a very interesting question! (Even if we're drifting off-topic...) I'd love to see this as a poll, actually.

Personally, I never would have even considered a car in this price range had it not been 100% electric, and would not have purchased it if it (1) weren't a critical stepping stone in the development/growth of the company/Gen III/mass adoption of EVs and (2) didn't have all the other awesomeness you mentioned. I actually accelerated (sorry) the car purchase, just as brianman did.

Last edited:
Pls move this one as well please moderator. This thread is about my new car, not PETA and animal cruelty.

There is no 'path to' see which I take, as I stated in the other thread I'M GETTING THE LEATHER. PERIOD.

Here here! I like leather and guess what, those cows would be killed anyways for their meat. Leather is the byproduct, if it weren't then you wouldn't see cows in feed lots, they'd be in spas. We get them fat because they are delicious and we want to eat more of them. The beauty is that you don't have to throw the rest away, you can use the skins for nice things as well.

- - - Updated - - -

My biggest argument against veganism is Comte cheese. To get the mark of Comte, it must fulfill a very rigid requirement. The cows can only come from 2 breeds of cattle, their diet must exclusively be alpine pasture grazing with at least 1 acre per cow! So think about that for a moment. A small herd of 30 cows will have 30 acres minimum to wander about and graze on the over 40 varieties of meadow plants that grow there and are milked twice a day. Sounds like a wonderful life for the cows. If everyone were vegan, where would those cows be? DEAD! There'd be no use for them so they'd be gone. Their pastures replaced by vegetable gardens. When a Comte cow dies what do you think they do with the hide? Leather. How cruel it truly is.