Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoyed by steering mode deletion in P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen many specific posts on this other than some casual mentions.

Why did Tesla decide to remove the steering mode setting? I love my P85D. My only gripe with it is the lack of steering sensitivity setting like I had in my P85+. The fixed setting on the D is somewhere between normal and sport on my former P85D. Its just too light and soft. Don't get me wrong - its not a handling problem - its just a personal preference. There is something about that harder force that I'm used to on my former cars that I liked about the Sport setting.

Was there some functional reason for deleting this? I asked the sales person at my dealer and they simply didn't know - something about the steering sensitivity adjusting based on speed so you don't have to adjust it. Hooey. Of course sensitivity should adjust with speed regardless of the setting. That doesn't mean there can't be different settings.

Tesla, please bring back the steering mode setting!

This may have something to do with the autopilot functionality. Specifically the motor that operates the steering wheel while autopilot is engaged. It would be interesting to know if the steering systems where changed between the P/S series the D series.

This may have something to do with the autopilot functionality. Specifically the motor that operates the steering wheel while autopilot is engaged. It would be interesting to know if the steering systems where changed between the P/S series the D series.

This was my first guess based on the reports here. Here is the disambiguating question: There are a bunch of non-D's out there now with the autopilot hardware. Do they lose the setting also, or only the D's? If it is only the D's, maybe it has more to do with the interaction of front-wheel drive (torque steer) with the electrically-operated steering.

I just tried the new "sport" steering setting on the P85D an I love it. Coming from the world of sports cars and race cars, the high resistance feels more like direct steering, and the very tight turning ratio makes it possible to do 90 degree corners without moving either hand on the wheel. Much better for my tastes.