Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying.... don't add a feature if it doesn't work perfectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Intel Core2 was around then and was getting power levels down in that range. The newer portable processors with the x64/x86 instruction set are even lower.

The Intel Atom was around in 2008 and it runs x86 code and is very low power, though the versions available then probably didn't stack up against the Tegras available then.

I just think it was a mistake to go with a processor designed for handheld devices. As I'm sure you know, everything in engineering is a trade off and even if the processor families are upgradable the handheld processors are always going to be more limited than desktop/laptop processors. Parasitic power drain is a concern in an electric car, but the parasitic losses from all the other systems monitoring the rest of the car's systems, an extra watt or two on the central display unit is going to be minimal when the car is idle. When the car is driving, it is down in the noise compared to the power the drive train is pulling.

The Tegra, like other cell phone CPUs is designed to pack as much as possible into the smallest possible space. This is important in something that needs to fit in your pocket, but it's completely unnecessary in something that fits in a 4500 lb car. The car has more room in front of the dash board than 20 of the largest desk top computers you can buy.

If it was my design, I would have chosen the processor family that is likely going to allow the easiest hardware upgrades in the future (x86/x64) and a standard form factor single board computer that has been around a while. There are a number of standardized backplanes used in industry. PC/104 is a common standard with lots of available options:
PC/104 Consortium - Supporting legacy technology while developing new solutions for the future

PC/104 is just one standard, there are others. PC/104 would probably work best in this application from the standards I can remember, but I haven't worked with a current industry standard bus in a few years. What I"m working with on my current project is a modified ISA bus.

If the car's systems all have standardized interfaces and the OS and apps are designed to run on any computer hardware, production could upgrade the computer in the car once or twice a year and it wouldn't disrupt production at all. If it's a standard board or boards, Tesla could always by pushing suppliers to lower prices because there would be competition.

It would also make expansion of things like Autopilot very easy. If there is some new system that needs to interface, design a custom board to handle it and integrate it into the existing design.

I'm a big fan of flexible design. If power is not critical and space is not at a premium, trade off and go with a little bigger and maybe a little more power hungry solution and have a very wide upgrade path for the future. If they had gone that route, the processors in use today would probably be more efficient than the current processors in use by Tesla and almost certainly faster.

Ever had to use a BlackBerry phone with its first browser? :mad: Talk about SAD. Room for improvement with Tesla for sure, but to just go without.. nope. Maybe they will let us download our browser of choice with OTA update 100. o_O
well - there are folks that could cook their own ROM's / browsers. But most of them are living in a basement & can't afford a Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
well - there are folks that could cook their own ROM's / browsers. But most of them are living in a basement & can't afford a Tesla.

These days it's all flash memory. I don't think I've used ROMs this century. wk057 has hacked the Tesla computer and run his own modified code. He turned an original S60 into a P85 with a new battery pack and a minor hack to the firmware.

Tesla did use a system-on-a-module for the IC and MCU. They could easily spin an upgrade board to replace the Tegra w/o re-engineering the whole MCU.

I guess right now they have better things to do.

Here's the MCU "exploded". You can see the Tegra system module at the top. It contains the CPU, RAM, and eMMC flash:
pic

Here's the module:
pic

Last edited:
It would be nice if the browser,
via LTE, supported Tesla's own Design Studio so that a prospective buyer could configure their own car from the passenger seat - and then perhaps even email themselves a saved config.

It doesn't, and that's a significant miss - especially 4 years on.

While not the Design Studio, I logged into MyTesla and hit "Accept Delivery" from within the car using the car's built-in web browser.

Really? How?

I've tried to watch mine at home without any success. I assumed it doesn't support video.

Foscam type cameras work. There's an old thread here about it. Someone posted that it's not really video but more just the browser refreshing or something like that but I don't notice any refreshing. The video is jumpy but it works. I can see the leaves on the trees blowing in the wind, and the waives on the beach on the lake at my cabin cameras. I tried to search for the thread about it but came up empty. I did find this one though:

Can your Model S control your house? Mine can!

• Informative
Reactions: idoco
The proxy server the car browser tunnels through back at tesla headquarters is also a bottleneck.

I find embedded ads with JavaScript are the limiting factor on most web pages. On underpowered tablets, using an ad blocker proxy fixes the issue completely. Tesla could just load up a blacklist into their proxy, and give customers an option to enable it. or set their own personal proxy string from the many adblocking companies out there. Ads really do waste cellular data and energy consumption of devices. They don't need to, most marketers just use really bad code.