Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying whistle noise, when driving relatively slowly – Is it normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is driving me nuts! I don't know if it is referred as ‘Moter whine’. I hear the noise when driving relatively slowly around 30-70 km/h. Sometimes it is worse. It will start when slowly using the pedal at some speed. The sound/whine/whistle is also there when regenerative breaking.

All help is a appreciated. For info. This is a model 3, and my first Tesla. I don't remeber hearing the noise the first couble of weeks. Tesla

I have some footage of the sound. Please use high volume:

Best regards
Toke

Update:

Got my car back today, after 5 weeks at the SC here en Denmark. No noise now, so it was deff. the drive unit. I hope it will stay perfect, but who knows, maybe I will have the noise back again some day :().

But anyways. Glad it is fixed, and i dont develops tinnitus

Update:

Got my car back today, after 5 weeks at the SC here en Denmark. No noise now, so it was deff. the drive unit. I hope it will stay perfect, but who knows, maybe I will have the noise back again some day :().

But anyways. Glad it is fixed, and i dont develops tinnitus

Hey,
Glad to hear you’re back in business.
Did they happen to explain what within the drive unit was making the noise ?

Glad it all worked out, and you’re back on the road. !

Hey,
Glad to hear you’re back in business.
Did they happen to explain what within the drive unit was making the noise ?

Glad it all worked out, and you’re back on the road. !

Ofc.

upload_2019-6-3_9-28-21.png

Br Toke

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I'll schedule a service appointment and see what they say.

I took mine in and they confirmed the sound during a test drive. After keeping it a week they confirmed the sound is coming from the front drive unit. They won't replace it though since they claim it's not a "mechanical" issue and their diagnostic tests passed on the unit. Suck.