Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual maintenance.... mobile service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see Tesla's list of items for annual maintenance. It seems skimpy to me. Can I just change the filters? Can mobile service do annual maintenance? Can tire shops handle tire rotation/balance, or does Tesla have a monopoly on that?

Attachments

• tesla_maintenance.jpg
    tesla_maintenance.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I'm curious what you would expect to be maintained in a battery pack? Are you imaging someone dismounting the battery pack, dissembling it, and individually inspecting every cell? The labor cost for that would be enormous and almost certainly not worth doing.

I'm curious what you would expect to be maintained in a battery pack? Are you imaging someone dismounting the battery pack, dissembling it, and individually inspecting every cell? The labor cost for that would be enormous and almost certainly not worth doing.
Sorry @DoctorVenkman I missed the message. I would think they have a battery integrity and performance test they can run without any disassembly.

Sorry @DoctorVenkman I missed the message. I would think they have a battery integrity and performance test they can run without any disassembly.

Car does it's own system self-diagnostics every time it is driven. You could test the 12 volt battery if you want to, but it is sealed so no item to service until it starts warning of failure (2-3 years) or fails. Main battery is sealed and even after 400,000 miles vehicles are still getting over 80% of the original range.

Teslas are not like ICE cars. Very little preventative maintenance beyond the items on the list.

One thing to watch on the X is tire wear. Heavy car and fast acceleration can lead to fast tire wear.

Car does it's own system self-diagnostics every time it is driven. You could test the 12 volt battery if you want to, but it is sealed so no item to service until it starts warning of failure (2-3 years) or fails. Main battery is sealed and even after 400,000 miles vehicles are still getting over 80% of the original range.

Teslas are not like ICE cars. Very little preventative maintenance beyond the items on the list.

One thing to watch on the X is tire wear. Heavy car and fast acceleration can lead to fast tire wear.

Thank you @jboy210 for the details. Out of curiosity... Is it a lot more to have 12v battery changed using mobile service vs service center service? I am 90 miles from the closest service center. Wish I could just grab one and swap it out in 10min.

Last edited:
Thank you @jboy210 for the details. Out of curiosity... Is it a lot more to have 12v battery changed using mobile service vs service center service? I am 90 miles from the closest service center. Wish I could just grab one and swap it out in 10min.

I have seen people install their own 12V batteries. Youtube has several videos. It is in the frunk and looks pretty easy to reach.

If you don't want to do that I am sure that Mobile service will do it. They even patch flats at your home. I have a very large Tesla service center 4 miles from my house and I still prefer Mobile service. When they pull up Mobile techs are 100% focused on fixing your car.

I have seen people install their own 12V batteries. Youtube has several videos. It is in the frunk and looks pretty easy to reach.

If you don't want to do that I am sure that Mobile service will do it. They even patch flats at your home. I have a very large Tesla service center 4 miles from my house and I still prefer Mobile service. When they pull up Mobile techs are 100% focused on fixing your car.

Thanks @jboy210 Good to know. Is Mobile service more expensive that service center for the same service?

Thanks @jboy210 Good to know. Is Mobile service more expensive that service center for the same service?
For items covered by warranty, it is $0.00 just like the Service Center. I had a tire with a nail repaired by Mobile service and it was around $60. Not sure what the SC would have charged, but it seemed reasonable to me. Especially since I did not have to leave my home and could work while they were fixing the tire.