Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Advantage of EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was passing on the story of my recent wheel switch to a friend, and while telling the story I mentioned that I turned the car AC on to heat up the garage. It took him a moment to remember that I was talking about an EV, as he started tensing up a bit. :)

If you left the car run to heat it up on a cold morning ( if this even possible ?) how long will the battery last in that mode?
i guess what I am asking! Could I heat the car for a few hours on a cold morning or before leaving work.
Also explain heating the garage with car AC!

Also explain heating the garage with car AC!
  1. Key fob in pocket.
  2. (Optional) Open car sunroof.
  3. Open all four car windows.
  4. Reach into the car and touch the 17" display.
  5. Set the climate control to auto.
  6. Set the temperature to "HI".
  7. Every 15 minutes or so (whenever it times out) tap the 17" display to reawaken the climate control system.
I used about 30 rated miles for the duration of swapping my 4 wheels. I think it was roughly 30-45 minutes (I'm slow) but it might have been as much as 90 minutes (takes longer when you're dealing with finicky lug nuts).

How cold outside and how warm did you get it inside?
question also can you do that while it is charging?
reason for question: if it is 20 deg out and you stop at a remote charging station, can you sit in a warm car for the 1/2 hour while it charges?

Absolutely. In fact, I've done it for an hour and a half at -20C with howling winds. Had to touch the screen periodically to keep the heat on, but we stayed nice and toasty while we charged.

But it does take longer with the heat on. The last time, I wrapped myself in a blanket and had a snooze while it charged because I noticed it was going to take a fair bit longer at the CS-90 station I was plugged in to with the car "on".

reason for question: if it is 20 deg out and you stop at a remote charging station, can you sit in a warm car for the 1/2 hour while it charges?
Yes. It's especially convenient at a supercharger. Warm the human while you recharge the car.

- - - Updated - - -

But it does take longer with the heat on. The last time, I wrapped myself in a blanket and had a snooze while it charged because I noticed it was going to take a fair bit longer at the CS-90 station I was plugged in to with the car "on".
My impression (from a few data points a few weekends ago) is that at a supercharger there isn't really a penalty. More specifically, if you are supercharging with the climate control on and then tap the Climate button the reported charging power will temporarily spike by ~2 kW. That suggested to me that it's using more than (in my case) 90 kW from the wall while charging at the SC with climate control going strong.

Warning - thread hijack attempt !

re: sitting in the car while charging, as I recall from the LEAF manual (which I read a lot, 2 years ago), sitting in the car while Quickcharging - 440 3 phase - is NOT recommended IF your health & well being depend on a medical device, like a pacemaker or something (?), because of the strong magnetic fields created. Just wondering, has Tesla ever addressed that situation in any way?

I agree that there likely wouldn't be an issue there with all that power available. I noticed the penalty sitting at a 90 amp 240 volt station, and can only imagine it would be much worse at, say, a 30 amp ChargePoint.

I've seen my range decrease sometimes while prewaming the car before leaving in the morning ... but I assume that this is just because it is raising the temperature from very cold. I would like to think that once the car is at a decent temp then the efficiency of the HVAC used to just maintain the temp would not use up too much power and allow you to accumulate range. Still I could imagine sitting in the car trying to warm it up and accumulate range while plugged in to a 30A EVSE and seeing the estimated time remaining climb could cause you to panic a bit as it is long enough at that power to begin with.

This is the perfect thread for my little tidbit. Another advantage:

For those that like to back into parking spots, EVs are great for that. I work at a private school and last week they sent out an email for staff not to back into parking spots anymore because the tailpipe from the car was killing the plants, shrubs, and soil. So after a few hours in dawned on me that, while minor, this is another advantage to buying an EV for those that like to do that sort of thing. hahaha.

I've seen my range decrease sometimes while prewaming the car before leaving in the morning ...

Me too, but in my case it's because I only draw 16 amps at 240 volts at home (3.8 kW) and the pack/cabin heater draw more than that at startup, so the difference has to come from the battery.

Still I could imagine sitting in the car trying to warm it up and accumulate range while plugged in to a 30A EVSE and seeing the estimated time remaining climb could cause you to panic a bit as it is long enough at that power to begin with.

I discovered this sitting at a charger one time when I turned the HVAC off and started to watch the time remaining drop substantially. When I turned the HVAC back on, the time to complete again started to get longer and longer until it settled back in at the original (longer) time. At this point, I wrapped myself in a blanket and turned the heat off :smile:

Me too, but in my case it's because I only draw 16 amps at 240 volts at home (3.8 kW) and the pack/cabin heater draw more than that at startup, so the difference has to come from the battery.

I discovered this sitting at a charger one time when I turned the HVAC off and started to watch the time remaining drop substantially. When I turned the HVAC back on, the time to complete again started to get longer and longer until it settled back in at the original (longer) time. At this point, I wrapped myself in a blanket and turned the heat off :smile:

Did you try using the seat heaters to keep you warm instead? Wondering how much they would affect the charging time if they are activated while you wait ...

Did you try using the seat heaters to keep you warm instead? Wondering how much they would affect the charging time if they are activated while you wait ...

The difference in charging time with seat heaters on is probably measured in seconds.

The big problem with seat heaters is that there is no matching steering wheel heater to keep your hands warm.