Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Autosteer Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly new to the forum having only 3 weeks ago picked up my M3 SRP.

Does anyone else find that their M3 drives in the gutter when using Autosteer? I appreciate it's in Beta but there are times when it's hugged the gutter so much that it rides over drains.

It's that bad I'm concerned there's possibly a problem with the car.

it does keep dead-centre of what it perceives the lane to be - often feels like it's too far to the left - but that's because we drive on the right-hand-side of the car and tend to drive on the right-hand-side of the lane a little.

If it's not in the centre of the lane, you may need the cameras adjusting.

Reactions: M3noob
The most annoying thing is yellow lines on the road the car puts itself in the centre between the double yellow lines and the white lines making it too far right when really it should be using the curb and the white line.

Another thing which I found funny was when the sun was out and this caused a shadow to show on the road from the gap in between the barriers, the car then thought a shadow was a line in the road! Think FSD is a long way off!

Reactions: M3noob and Artiste
Fairly new to the forum having only 3 weeks ago picked up my M3 SRP.

Does anyone else find that their M3 drives in the gutter when using Autosteer? I appreciate it's in Beta but there are times when it's hugged the gutter so much that it rides over drains.

It's that bad I'm concerned there's possibly a problem with the car.

Nope. Quite normal. Centres between where it perceives the central line and the curb. On narrow streets it can be quite hairy. Alloy wheel insurance cover a must.

it’s not designed to be used whilst driving through narrow streets! Autopilot is designed for use on dual carriageways and motorways. From the manual:

Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver.

• Helpful
Reactions: M3noob and Jez_GB
it’s not designed to be used whilst driving through narrow streets! Autopilot is designed for use on dual carriageways and motorways. From the manual:

Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver.
Exactly!! Why is everyone so surprised by its behaviour on conditions it's not designed for?!

Also get really irritated by all these YouTube videos testing it on city streets and then reacting like Tesla is somehow at fault. Read the bloody manual!

Reactions: M3noob and DJP31
Sorry I havent explained myself very well in the original post.

When engaging Autopilot it also immediately pulls the car towards the nearside to hug that side. My wife first tried it and it pulled that much that she immediately tried to correct it several times because she felt the car was going to drive into the hardshoulder.

Or tell Tesla not to enable it on streets!
Tesla isn't enabling it...it's the person driving!

I get what you mean, they should just disable it...

Trying to recall who but there is another manufacturer where their assistance features *only* work on specific roads they've mapped for it - but then on those roads it's properly reliable (in theory).

Think I prefer Tesla's approach but it requires drivers not to go around testing it's limits!

Exactly!! Why is everyone so surprised by its behaviour on conditions it's not designed for?!

Also get really irritated by all these YouTube videos testing it on city streets and then reacting like Tesla is somehow at fault. Read the bloody manual!

I agree. There's also one UK owner who's reasonably well known (until he gets banned for one reason or another) who works in a hospital and happily posts videos of his MX driving the kids to school on AP as if its some kind of badge of honour with the usual commentary being "it couldn't navigate this junction on the previous version" or worse "it made it to the school gates today avoding the parked cars dropping kids off"...

I liken some peoples use of AP to that of drink drivers of old. They work on the premise if they've not yet had an accident using it the way they do then its safe. My uncle thought like that until one day in the earlly 80's when he didn't anymore, I'm glad I wasn't in a baby seat in the back at the time.

As for positioning in the lane, ot often seems to know according tot he dash exactly where it is in relationship to the road but still hugs one side or the other more than I'd like. I'd actually like the ability to trim it left or right of the lane somehow although I imagine Tesla in their wisdom don't feel thats important. I think it would make it a much better system if they took into account the aggregate of drivers preferences given the view of the road. Slap bang in the middle all the time isn't how good drivers drive

• Love
Reactions: M3noob
I agree. There's also one UK owner who's reasonably well known (until he gets banned for one reason or another) who works in a hospital and happily posts videos of his MX driving the kids to school on AP as if its some kind of badge of honour with the usual commentary being "it couldn't navigate this junction on the previous version" or worse "it made it to the school gates today avoding the parked cars dropping kids off"...

I liken some peoples use of AP to that of drink drivers of old. They work on the premise if they've not yet had an accident using it the way they do then its safe. My uncle thought like that until one day in the earlly 80's when he didn't anymore, I'm glad I wasn't in a baby seat in the back at the time.

As for positioning in the lane, ot often seems to know according tot he dash exactly where it is in relationship to the road but still hugs one side or the other more than I'd like. I'd actually like the ability to trim it left or right of the lane somehow although I imagine Tesla in their wisdom don't feel thats important. I think it would make it a much better system if they took into account the aggregate of drivers preferences given the view of the road. Slap bang in the middle all the time isn't how good drivers drive
Uhhhh accident waiting to happen!!

I’d rather the car let me choose to use a feature than not.

The i3 I’m driving has a “traffic jam assist” feature which only works on motorways, up to 35mph, and basically requires you to put an uncomfortable amount of pressure on the steering wheel to stop it nagging or switching off entirely. Useless.