Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another DUI on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pluto

is a Planet
Nov 17, 2015
Auburn, AL
Read here: CHP Investigates if Tesla Was on Autopilot After DUI Arrest

At least when he fell asleep at the wheel, there was no accident this time. Driving under the influence with autopilot on doesn’t mean it’ll prevent all accidents, but it’ll prevent some. Either way it’s unsafe to be on the road at all. I just hope people don’t look at autopilot as a solution for driving under the influence... And I’m glad the CHP is enforcing this.

Maybe one day your Tesla will be able to get you home safely, but today is not that day. Don’t risk others’ lives and your own future for the sake of your loved ones. If you need to, take a nap in the passenger’s seat overnight, stay where you are overnight, call a friend, or take an uber home. But don’t get behind the wheel; it’s unsafe for everyone.

Read here: CHP Investigates if Tesla Was on Autopilot After DUI Arrest

At least when he fell asleep at the wheel, there was no accident this time. Driving under the influence with autopilot on doesn’t mean it’ll prevent all accidents, but it’ll prevent some. Either way it’s unsafe to be on the road at all. I just hope people don’t look at autopilot as a solution for driving under the influence... And I’m glad the CHP is enforcing this.

Maybe one day your Tesla will be able to get you home safely, but today is not that day. Don’t risk others’ lives and your own future for the sake of your loved ones. If you need to, take a nap in the passenger’s seat overnight, stay where you are overnight, call a friend, or take an uber home. But don’t get behind the wheel; it’s unsafe for everyone.
Interesting...but sounds like the reporter herself is confused about Autopilot and Full Self Driving. Her last sentences are misleading and have nothing to do with Autopilot. FSD was removed from the ordering process, not from cars.

This incident does illustrate the question, What does / should autopilot do when emergency flashing lights from the CHP or an ambulance are behind you? Based on this story the answer seems to be ignore them. Perhaps because the options are difficult. Should it disengage even if the driver is in a deep sleep?, or slow to a stop in the lane hoping the driver will disengage and take over?, should it play siren sounds on the radio?, or merge right and continue slowing and merging right to the shoulder if the lights keep following you? Not an easy question for EAP, or FSD, or the void between them.