Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another example of Tesla's communications problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I know, I know. I just was exasperated and busy with other stuff.

Funny thing: I decided a few minutes later to call back and ask for a supervisor. It was about 4:22pm in California when I called back. Got the usual Tesla recorded greeting (press 1 to make an appt, press 2 to check on status of existing appt, else hold the line) so I held the line but then unexpectedly got a recording listing out hours of operation then it said please leave a recorded message. I didn’t. Will call tomorrow.

Meanwhile no follow-up email yet, asking to re-schedule appt.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Insane.

I just got a call from a mobile service tech. Telling me he was ten minutes from my house.

I'm like, um, didn't anyone tell you? I didn't make this appointment. I've been trying to communicate with you guys for a solid month. I don't know who made the appointment but it wasn't me and I wouldn't have for the 27th because I'm busy.

Abso-effing-lutely nuts. This company cannot communicate with customers. Or internally.

Now escalating.

• Helpful
Finally got through to a manager. Sanity again.

Still no explanation about why the communications are utterly hosed, or why/how an appointment got made for today even though I didn't make it, etc.

But I now have a direct contact I can deal with should I ever need to deal with service in the future, so ... whew.

• Love

Still no explanation about why the communications are utterly hosed, or why/how an appointment got made for today even though I didn't make it, etc.

But I now have a direct contact I can deal with should I ever need to deal with service in the future, so ... whew.

Glad to hear you've finally pierced the veil. Unfortunately, having a direct contact in a position to help seems to be the only sane way at present to deal with this sort of thing at Tesla.

• Love

Can you share that direct contact with everyone?

Asking for a friend.

(kidding of course)

• Funny
We had another fun interaction with the service center last night and our Model S. My husband's S has had a missing T logo on the back for quite a while. He had requested Tesla to install a replacement (not warranty, we would pay). Seems simple enough, right?

Here is the saga so far:
1st mobile service appointment - fellow doesnt bring the part
2nd mobile service appointment - tech brings the part, but messes up the install and only has 1 on hand
3rd mobile service appointment - tech is a no show

Giving up on mobile service, we make an appointment to have it done at the service center in conjunction with a 50k service. T logo request was in the notes, and a Tesla person contacted us prior to the visit to ensure all parts would be ordered.

Pick up car from remote lot yesterday and guess what? No T logo. Drive the car straight back to the service center. Service center looks at ticket and says, yes T logo was on the ticket, but we dont have the part. Can we book a mobile service for you?

Husband: "Nope, no way (explains prior mobile service experience). You keep the car until that T badge is installed. This is the 4th time I have tried to have this done." Service Advisor "Well, sir, I will get pushback if the car is held here without parts available". Husband: "I don't care, car is staying until the work is done". (We don't have a loaner so them keeping the car shouldn't be a huge deal for Tesla)

You might say, oh, it is just a simple T badge, what is the big deal? But that is exactly why we got so frustrated. It should have been a 2 minute job and we have spent numerous hours at this point trying to get it done. Waiting for a no show mobile tech and driving back and forth from the service center (2.5 hour round trip) to try and get this one dang badge installed.

Sigh. And to top it all off, they set his charge limit to 100% (it was at 90), plugged it into the supercharger and let it sit at 100% overnight. Salt in the wound.

• Love
Latest update:

Tesla Mobile Tech guy calls me at 12:47pm today saying he's 10 minutes out. The appointment is for 1:30pm. Lucky I was home!

Anyway he shows up, we pop open my S's hatchback, he pops out a little rubber gasket, replaces it with a new one, close the hatch, done.

That was the extent of the service visit. Except, he said there was one other item on the checklist. He said I had raised concerns about AutoPilot, wanted him to check it?

I laughed. My car was built in August 2013. It was ordered before they even had parking sensors, let alone AutoPilot. No idea how that got on my records or why they thought I had a concern about it. (Maybe they've been reading my TMC postings, as sure, I have concerns about AutoPilot, but my car sure doesn't have it. :)

Thus ends this service saga.

Wait... there is one more thing...

So the One More Thing is what happened over the weekend Went to a movie, and like always, parked defensively, in a far spot that was especially wide, to avoid dings or worse from other cars.

After the movie, I walk out back to the car, and see my front right side all scratched around the wheel. That was not there at home when I’d left for the movie, nor was it there when I’d gone to the store earlier in the day. Someone at the movie theatre did a scrape and run.

EB4DA6A0-A42F-4029-A2BF-01BF1F80171C.jpeg

So I just showed it to the Tesla mobile tech guy, and he said 80% is scraped clearcoat, but the biggest deepest scratches at the top region scraped away the paint and I gotta go to a body shop.

Sigh.

Anyone had anything like this before? Curious what the typical cost would be to make it all go away.

Oh and then there is this communications discrepancy (the hits just keep on coming):

I just got the Service Invoice PDF. It's full of things that did not happen.

Here is page one:

tesla-svc1.png

Let's see. The mobile tech guy showed up in the driveway, he got out, we shook hands, I opened the rear lift-gate, he walked back over the service truck, got the little rubber replacement drain plug, he walked back to my S, he pulled out the old rubber drain plug, popped the new one in. Done. Took, oh, 15 seconds tops.

I then showed him the scrapes on the right side of car from the hit and run. That took a minute or two tops. He then got in his truck and left.

So: Job Number 1 never happened. He didn't check the tire pressures. (Maybe because this is New Mexico and not CA?)

Job Number two: I guess that happened. Let's see page two of the PDF:

tesla-svc2.png

Job number 3: never happened.
• No check for active faults.
• No check of firmware version.
• No update to latest version.
• Did not top off washer fluid
• Did not adjust tire pressure.
• Did not measure tire tread depth.

Job number 4: Did not happen.
• And I had not reported this recently. I reported it like geez a year ago? And the problem went away by itself and has never re-appeared. Why is it in today's Invoice?

Job number 5: Half happened. Note the "Quantity" is listed as "2". He replaced a single plug, in the center of the lift-gate. Not two. Why is it listed as two I wonder?

All minor points... not complaining, just pointing out another example of the errors of communication from company to customer.

Perfect coda to this whole service experience.

Yesterday I got the usual "How was your service appointment?" email.

tesla-how-was-service.png

And this morning I finally got around to clicking the "TAKE SURVEY" question. I was prepared to give top ratings; the service appolntment itself was fine, as they always are. The Tesla Mobile Service technicians can do no wrong. They walk on water as far as I'm concerned.

This is what came up when I clicked on the button.

tesla-how-was-2.png

The animated busy-icon has been turning for the past 25 minutes.

Oh well.

Not sure where to put my experience, but here it goes.

Couple of weeks ago, made an aggressive right turn into the setting sun, and was blinded temporarily. FCW went off, hit the brakes, and ended up tapping the car in front. No damage visible on my car, and the other guy had a cracked rear bumper.

Anywho, after I start driving again, I realize AP is misbehaving, and radar is throwing reduced visibility errors. I make an appointment, and the advisor reaches out. I email him the story, they order parts and the day before I go in, I get an estimate with $0 due and warranty coverage. Not sure whether to be happy or sad.

Anyways, they open up the car, see the internal damage and call back. I tell the my local advisor that it was an accident and I emailed them about it earlier. They have the radar, but not the mounting bracket which is bent. Order it, and couple of days later install it.

Overall, 6 days of a model S rental from Enterprise, a few parts, a tech driving 60 miles to validate the AP behavior, and at least 6 hours of labor. All under warranty. Felt like they were just leaving money on the table, possibly because of a communication issue.

• Love
Geez. The communication is awful. I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't need substantial service ever. In Wisconsin, where Tesla isn't allowed to have a support center, I used the ranger service for some minor issues. The service was excellent. My communication was typically done directly with the ranger after I had his cell phone number. That worked well. I would not want to have to communicate through Tesla otherwise.

• Love