Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus - clarification re off peak hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know there is info in the ‘everything you need to know about Intelligent Octopus’ thread but I would really like clarification from anyone with the same set up as us (Octopus are being rather vague).

We have set the Octopus app up to charge to 90% finishing at 8am in the morning. The last two charges the app has confirmed the smart charging schedule from 5:03pm to 8am and then another was 9:30pm to 8am. My question is, are we being charged off peak rates for these times? The off peak rate that Octopus state is 11:30pm to 5:30am but my understanding is that sometimes they smart charge outside of these times but you still get charged off peak.

Myenergi have confirmed there is no schedule on the charger and I have taken off any scheduled charging from the Tesla itself.

At the moment Octopus can only confirm the kw used, not the cost! So I just need confirmation from someone that’s been doing this a while that those smart charging hours are off peak even though they fall outside the stated Octopus off-peak hours.

Thanks in advance!

So I know there is info in the ‘everything you need to know about Intelligent Octopus’ thread but I would really like clarification from anyone with the same set up as us (Octopus are being rather vague).

We have set the Octopus app up to charge to 90% finishing at 8am in the morning. The last two charges the app has confirmed the smart charging schedule from 5:03pm to 8am and then another was 9:30pm to 8am. My question is, are we being charged off peak rates for these times? The off peak rate that Octopus state is 11:30pm to 5:30am but my understanding is that sometimes they smart charge outside of these times but you still get charged off peak.

Myenergi have confirmed there is no schedule on the charger and I have taken off any scheduled charging from the Tesla itself.

At the moment Octopus can only confirm the kw used, not the cost! So I just need confirmation from someone that’s been doing this a while that those smart charging hours are off peak even though they fall outside the stated Octopus off-peak hours.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely off peak.

Upvote 0

Thanks in advance!
Hi there i had the same questions in my mind when i first went on this tarriff. The answer to your question is that all charging through the Octopus App is off peak, no matter what time. However here are some pointers and advice i can give you from my own experience. Make sure all charging shedules are disabled in the car and on the tesla app. Always make sure your percentage needed is adjusted both in the tesla app and octopus app. Make sure when you plug in there is enough time to reach your percentage. My tesla charger will always, within a mile or so charge at 33 miles per hour on my single phase 32 amp set up so i work it out and allow a little extra. This next thing may sound strange, but once you have plugged in and the car charges for around ten minuets or so and the octopus app stops the charge and comes up with its shedule, DONT OPEN THE TESLA APP. if you want to check the car starts charging at the specified time go outside and check. I found if i checked on the tesla app to make sure it was not charging after the set schedule was set by the octopus app, it would just start charging again before the schedule . Now this might be down to the fact i have a Tesla wall connector, but i have found that if i just plug in, let the octopus app take over and dont mess with anything all works well. I did 3700 miles last month and it only cost me £76!! Its down to 7.5p now of course.

Upvote 0
Hi there i had the same questions in my mind when i first went on this tarriff. The answer to your question is that all charging through the Octopus App is off peak, no matter what time. However here are some pointers and advice i can give you from my own experience. Make sure all charging shedules are disabled in the car and on the tesla app. Always make sure your percentage needed is adjusted both in the tesla app and octopus app. Make sure when you plug in there is enough time to reach your percentage. My tesla charger will always, within a mile or so charge at 33 miles per hour on my single phase 32 amp set up so i work it out and allow a little extra. This next thing may sound strange, but once you have plugged in and the car charges for around ten minuets or so and the octopus app stops the charge and comes up with its shedule, DONT OPEN THE TESLA APP. if you want to check the car starts charging at the specified time go outside and check. I found if i checked on the tesla app to make sure it was not charging after the set schedule was set by the octopus app, it would just start charging again before the schedule . Now this might be down to the fact i have a Tesla wall connector, but i have found that if i just plug in, let the octopus app take over and dont mess with anything all works well. I did 3700 miles last month and it only cost me £76!! Its down to 7.5p now of course.
Not true..
All charging is not at off peak..
Smart and post 11.30pm is however bump charging is another matter.
A minor point, granted, but true nonetheless and a clarification of my earlier post.

Upvote 0
The thing about being careful opening the Tesla app after Octopus has scheduled charging is important - see my thread Constantly re-starting charge after being stopped and Car starts charging without prompt. There is a chance that opening the app will restart charging outside the Octopus determined windows and no guarantee that the Octopus app will detect this and stop it. Before I knew this was an issue, I had a situation once where I opened the app and accidentally kicked off a 2-hour+ charge outside the Octopus windows.

Upvote 0