Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "just ordered" post!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already have issues. Had to call because I had not heard anything after uploading pics. I was transferred and then told I was being assigned an Advisor.

We went over the details and he heard my concerns. He said he would get back to me the same day (Thursday) on one of the questions and then set up a call with me today at noon for an update and address anything else.

Long story short, nothing Thursday and no call today. I called his number three times and mailbox is full and cannot accept messages. Sent him an email an hour ago asking about or call and that’s still pending any response.

Just remember, it is not an Amazon 2 day delivery cycle. ;):D
I totally get that, but my experience after ordering has been very underwhelming. The experience through the website initially seemed very slick and automated, but then the customer experience falls apart.

For instance after uploading the photos there was zero feedback and you can't see them in your account anymore. Sending in emails to the account generated either no response or a response a week later saying they will look into it. Calling in and talking with a person has generally been good, but they haven't been able to answer the question and I leave the call with a vague assurance that someone will call me back that usually doesn't happen.

It seems to me that Tesla is treating the order like a car with minimal contact and updates, but a solar system is very individualize and they really need a new customer relationship management system to handle the process and track all of the issues.

I totally get that, but my experience after ordering has been very underwhelming. The experience through the website initially seemed very slick and automated, but then the customer experience falls apart.

For instance after uploading the photos there was zero feedback and you can't see them in your account anymore. Sending in emails to the account generated either no response or a response a week later saying they will look into it. Calling in and talking with a person has generally been good, but they haven't been able to answer the question and I leave the call with a vague assurance that someone will call me back that usually doesn't happen.

It seems to me that Tesla is treating the order like a car with minimal contact and updates, but a solar system is very individualize and they really need a new customer relationship management system to handle the process and track all of the issues.

If you greatly value the service experience, then you should have paid a bit more and go with a local installer instead of Tesla.

All the big corporates (Sunrun, Vivint, Tesla) try to maximize revenue or profit margin. Neither of those financial metrics go up if they provide you super-fast service and white glove empathy.

Tesla has your signed contract now, so their marketing and sales teams are done making you feel good and excited. And you're now dealing with people down the funnel who are overworked and underpaid with absolutely no upside to provide stellar service. Do Tesla's advisors benefit if you have a 5-star experience and refer your neighbors and friends? No.

Tesla doesn't need your referral or positive feedback since sales and marketing are working on more clients already. Tesla benefits from the work of local contractors to get you excited about an energy project, and then undercut on price to steal your business.

Now that you're in the funnel; you're better off just lowering your expectations a bit believing you'll eventually get your custom-situation-needs addressed by your advisor.

Now that you're in the funnel; you're better off just lowering your expectations a bit believing you'll eventually get your custom-situation-needs addressed by your advisor.

Well that was a depressing read.

Other than asking for more panels on the south side than they 4 that was in the original layout, all my other contacts have been to make sure that they have the information that they need in order to actually do the install and to take more of my money other than the $100 that they have from me. For instance they needed me to print, sign, scan and email back a form for that was required for the permit. I did it within a few hours, but after two weeks the portal was still telling me that I have this document to take care of another week went by before I had an email acknowledging the receipt and having it removed from the portal. Same goes for the PG&E interconnection agreement document which still hasn't been acknowledged by the system even though it was done through Adobe Echosign.

On the signed contract, my read of it indicates that I could bail at any time and up to 7 days after the installation and pay them nothing other than losing my $100 deposit. I have no intention of doing that, but that should be a strong operational incentive for keeping buyers happy and moving things along quickly to avoid losing their sunk costs on a project.

A bit more? ;)
My power walls would have been 50% more and am sure not as cleanly installed as I spoke at length with that installer beforehand.

Yeah Tesla is jobbing their "Tesla certified partners" on the Powerwall. Tesla gets all these local shops to migrate their sales pitches and training to push Powerwalls instead of Enphase, Generac, LG Chem, etc. But then Tesla undercuts all these partners on price (they are first party with the most margin to give). And Tesla double-downs on their terrible practices by throttling inventory so the locals can't even sell the hardware even if they had a buyer.

I'm actually surprised Tesla hasn't been sued by their reseller network. Imagine EA, Activision, and Take Two sign up to market games to be played on a PlayStation. But then Sony launches their games for $50 instead of $60 since they're the first party to the most popular hardware. There'd be this gigantic revolt, and the industry would be worse off.

Tesla goes out there and tells homeowner prospects an absurdly low price for their hardware that can't be matched by local shops that actually want to stay in business. This means the 3rd parties are doing all the hard work to drive awareness and move a customer through a sales funnel. But then Tesla snatches the lead up since going direct to Tesla is so cheap. I can't imagine this tactic sitting well with the Sunruns, Sempers, and other large/mid sized folks who aggressively market the Tesla Powerwall with their own budgets; and this noncompetitive practice is going to put smaller shops out of business.

Well that was a depressing read.

Other than asking for more panels on the south side than they 4 that was in the original layout, all my other contacts have been to make sure that they have the information that they need in order to actually do the install and to take more of my money other than the $100 that they have from me. For instance they needed me to print, sign, scan and email back a form for that was required for the permit. I did it within a few hours, but after two weeks the portal was still telling me that I have this document to take care of another week went by before I had an email acknowledging the receipt and having it removed from the portal. Same goes for the PG&E interconnection agreement document which still hasn't been acknowledged by the system even though it was done through Adobe Echosign.

On the signed contract, my read of it indicates that I could bail at any time and up to 7 days after the installation and pay them nothing other than losing my $100 deposit. I have no intention of doing that, but that should be a strong operational incentive for keeping buyers happy and moving things along quickly to avoid losing their sunk costs on a project.

FWIW I had to go through Sunrun since the local shops I spoke with couldn't do a partial home backup solution. Tesla actually told me to go pack it since I was being particular about my roof. I went with Sunrun in June with the target of getting this all installed around November. Basically a glacial pace.

The corporates move very slowly once they have your commitment since they allocate much fewer resources to the teams taking over projects after a contract is signed. The majority of Sunrun operating expense is on Marketing and customer acquisition. You can see it in their annual reports; and I bet Tesla is the same in concept. Although Tesla is pretty sneaky with their consumer solar and energy business. Tesla pushes their reseller network to do a lot of work for Tesla, and then Tesla basically robs their resellers of their marketing spend by snatching the client.

Last edited:
No response to my email on the missed scheduled call, but I did get a text saying "we've received your permits." That's weird that would happen if system size is too large and would not get approved by local electric company. o_O That was an item we were to discuss on the follow-up call.

Can a 8.16kW system permit be used for a ~6kW system?

That depends on the locality. Some can be real sticklers and others are more lenient, but in any case they should be able to submit a request to change the permit with the new system size. It will still take additional time to get the permit updated, but it shouldn’t be as much time/work as completely resubmitting the permit.

Most likely though, a system size change will require the permit to be modified.

Ahh ok! Thank you.

That depends on the locality. Some can be real sticklers and others are more lenient, but in any case they should be able to submit a request to change the permit with the new system size. It will still take additional time to get the permit updated, but it shouldn’t be as much time/work as completely resubmitting the permit.

Most likely though, a system size change will require the permit to be modified.

No response to my email on the missed scheduled call, but I did get a text saying "we've received your permits." That's weird that would happen if system size is too large and would not get approved by local electric company. o_O That was an item we were to discuss on the follow-up call.

So, what size got approved? I wouldn't worry about the power company as you have approval. You will have a system.