Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Model Y Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hit a deer two weeks ago. The difference is I was going at 45 mph in the mountains. See the post here Deer collision: good body shop in Denver?

My estimate came at $4000 and the insurance told me it will be a low estimate and they will pay more once I am going into the shop.

The real problem is the availability of body shops. My appointment at the Tesla body shop is on December, 17 and I do not know how long it will take to fix the car :-(
Interesting. We’re currently traveling in New Hampshire but are from Connecticut. There’s a local shop near home that I know of if we were around home but to tow the car 150-200 miles doesn’t seem reasonable. If we were further north or in Maine this would be even tougher.

There are a number of shops in Massachusetts with a closer one being 50 miles with a great number of reviews (many hundreds) repairing teslas. I’m hoping it’s a large volume dealer of sorts and will be quicker. It seems like out west there’s less density of repair shops :( so I’m sorry to hear about your long lead time.

Weirdly I’m seeing all those items on the estimate. So either State Farm is vastly underestimating part cost or this isn’t as bad as it looks?
The biggest ticket item to get the car totaled is whether or not there is any impact transferred onto the battery module in the belly. Any damage Rodin their will surely total the car because it present fire danger among other liability issues. In any case, $11k does seem a bit on the low side. I am sure they'll find more things to fix once the shop starts peeling back all the twisted metal.

Weirdly I’m seeing all those items on the estimate. So either State Farm is vastly underestimating part cost or this isn’t as bad as it looks?
I’d be shocked if it only cost $11k.

This accident happened to me 2 years ago. $21k in repairs and 3 months in the shop.
8F5B6819-7C38-4D2D-9EBE-679DCC1E4927.jpeg

Deer hit passenger door and fender. Estimate is $6500 for this. Can’t get in till dec 10. Two week repair time. As long as there isn’t any structural damage, $11k doesn’t seem too far off.View attachment 730815
Ug sorry to see that. And yea now that we’re home and the shock is worn off I went through the estimate again and everything visible is on there. I know we’ll need thing like a pyro fuse and some other misc things that will bump this up but this may be a pretty good estimate.

I was warned that we may have a battle with the labor rates but that’ll be for another day.

Ug sorry to see that. And yea now that we’re home and the shock is worn off I went through the estimate again and everything visible is on there. I know we’ll need thing like a pyro fuse and some other misc things that will bump this up but this may be a pretty good estimate.

I was warned that we may have a battle with the labor rates but that’ll be for another day.
I had multiple quotes. First one was over $10k. But the labor was $150/hr. The second quote labor is $75/hr.

Glad that everyone is safe and that it is fixable. Which body shop are you using?
Well I don’t know if it’s fixable yet. The appraisal was just the field insurance appraisal. The car is at Todays Autobody in Malden MA and they said they may be able to start the tear down for more damage by the end of the month.

I’d rather have the car closer to home but we were on a small road trip and towing it home would have been around 150mi at the time. I called a local shop today and they’re just as backed up so moving the car wouldn’t buy me much.

You might be victim of the really high used prices on teslas right now. At least in NC, it’s got to be 75% of replacement value before they total it. I don’t know what the regulations are in your state - you might want to familiarize yourself with them.
From what I understated Connecticut uses a formula which considers the salvage value plus the repairs. So I think it’s something like

Salvage rate + repair cost > value of car

It’s considered totaled. Now I understand the value may be much higher but (I think) the salvage amounts are also very high.

From what I understated Connecticut uses a formula which considers the salvage value plus the repairs. So I think it’s something like

Salvage rate + repair cost > value of car

It’s considered totaled. Now I understand the value may be much higher but (I think) the salvage amounts are also very high.
I’m sure they are but they probably haven’t kept up with used values. The thing you have in your favor is that component pricing is higher than normal right now, too. Again, they probably haven’t kept up with the rising value of used cars but maybe both together will get you over the top.

I just saw the pictures. Jesus, what kind of semi was the deer driving?! I've never seen that kind of damage from hitting a deer. Glad everyone is okay, hopefully they can get it repaired and your rental doesn't run out.

I just saw the pictures. Jesus, what kind of semi was the deer driving?! I've never seen that kind of damage from hitting a deer. Glad everyone is okay, hopefully they can get it repaired and your rental doesn't run out.
Ha. Well we were going about 70 and the deer came from the median crossing two lanes before hitting us so it was moving at a pretty good clip too. Really just a freak accident. It hit dead on above the wheel and the door was secondary. There was a semi next to us but thankfully autopilot kept us in the lane safely during the hit.

A second or two in travel time difference we would have probably missed it. O well, we’re both ok (my wife and I, not the deer) and that’s all that matters.