Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another obsession: LED flashlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of my lights:
2908368869_667a105ac4_o.jpg

2908369013_7e39d811a5_o.jpg

2909216566_b3d7a228ab_o.jpg

2943675850_111ed8f548_o.jpg

Last edited:
The Collection

You can never have too many flashlights. . . but I'm working on it, anyhow.

Image removed due to host server becoming password protected

The lineup on the right, top to bottom. . .

Mini Maglite (2 AA)
Mini Maglite LED (2 AA)
Duracell Daylite (2 AA)
Lightwave 2000 (3 AA)
Streamlight Jr LED (2 AA)
Streamlight Twin Task (2 D)
Streamlight (3 D)
Surefire 3P (1 CR123A)
Surefire 6P (2 CR123A, with weapon mount)
Dorcy Metal Gear (3 AAA)
generic multi-LED (4 AA)

On the left. . .

old-fashioned Ray-O-Vac (3 D)
Maglite (2D, now upgraded to LED)
Coleman (3 AAA)
CMG Infinity Task Light (1 AA)

In terms of throwing a bright spot into the distance, the winners are the old Ray-O-Vac (which I've upgraded to a halogen bulb) and the Surefire 6P (when it has fresh batteries, but they don't last long). The Maglite which I upgraded to LED today is going to be right up there with them, I think. (However it only produces very bright light for a short time, due to thermal limits.)

The homely old Lightwave 2000 -- the only plastic flashlight in the photo -- still has a lot to recommend it. It doesn't produce much light, but it has a run time measured in days not hours. It's also about as complicated as a block of wood, there's not much to go wrong with it. I have three of these flashlights, and I'll probably be using them longer after fancier and more fashionable lights have been packed away in a drawer somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason why LED flashlights parallel EVs:
Ultracaps are showing up in LED flashlights for lighter weight, quicker recharge, and more cycle life (all things you want in an EV too).
Since LED flashlights are relatively simple, small and cheap, you might see some energy storage breakthroughs show up there first, and then in EVs later.

http://www.lightningflashlights.com/
IVUS Energy Innovations
NREL: Energy Storage - Ultracapacitors
New *capacitor battery* 5.11 tac light wow! - CandlePowerForums
511 Tactical Light for Life LED Flashlight
http://www.511tactical.com/files/F08_511Tactical_FireEMS.pdf
"The 5.11 Light For Life™ comes with a limited lifetime warranty and its internal components are rated for a life of over 50,000 cycles. (That adds up to more than 130 years if you use and recharge the light once a day!) The flashlight’s body is made from a state-of-the-art polymer that is impact, abrasion and water resistant to stand up to the intense duty we know you’ll put it through."

Coleman ultracap screwdriver:
Coleman Flashcell Cordless Screwdriver - 90 Second Recharge - Using a SuperCapacitor
coleman-flashcell-screwdriver3.jpg

The Par-38 bulb I have uses the warm white Cree LEDs, too (probably the same ones) - the color is great on those. At 12W, I'd say not to expect a full 65W equivalence. I find the one I have (which is a 16W) to be about 10% below where I think it should be to be truly a 65W replacement (but I still like the light better than an actual 65W bulb because of the better color). The one I have is not dimmable.

There are lots of positive reviews about those Cree can LED lights.
They have some sort of light sensor, and some aux red LEDs that are blended in based on light output analysis to keep the color temp correct under all circumstances.

This whole thread was about flashlights though, where LEDs "shine" compared to incandescents. I think it won't be long before LEDs completely replace incandescents in flashlights.
This is in part because recent generation 1-5Watt LEDs outdo old flashlight incadescent bulbs by such a wide margin.

Home lighting is a bit different. When the incandescent bulbs are free to draw lots of power (and battery runtime isn't an issue) they can produce plenty of light. The LEDs that can handle 10watts or more are still just too expensive to compete. Also people are a lot more touchy about the color temp and CRI of home lighting than they are with flashlights.
For the most part, to appreciate LED home lighting you have to appreciate the efficiency advantage and be willing to accept somewhat less brightness and some amount of different in color temp and CRI.

LEDs also tend to be better suited to "spot" rather than "flood" situations.

Home lighting is a bit different. When the incandescent bulbs are free to draw lots of power (and battery runtime isn't an issue) they can produce plenty of light. The LEDs that can handle 10watts or more are still just too expensive to compete. Also people are a lot more touchy about the color temp and CRI of home lighting than they are with flashlights.

I am willing to pay more to gain efficiency. In the case of a car, a lot more. In the case of a household bulb, the price alone doesn't turn me off, but it does make me less willing to experiment. Hence it is great getting advice in places like this so I am more sure of what I am getting when I try.

Yeah, those P7 LED chips are very bright. But those bike lights tend to be very expensive (e.g.: $400). The P7 hand held flashlight I bought on eBay was around $60.

I suppose it was worth a mention here since they called it a "Tesla".

3111-2.jpg

Obsession?

1. I'm one of the administrators on Candlepower forums
2. I helped create one of the first custom, high-powered LED flashlights ever sold.
3. I have replaced all the interior lights in all cars with custom LEDs and circuits that allow dimming and auto-off.
4. Every often-used light in my house is now custom LED.

Don't make me post links.

LEDs also tend to be better suited to "spot" rather than "flood" situations.

In general, yes. But not if you do it right! Here's what I call my LED BOMB. Otherwise known as my garage light. This thing used to be 100W of incandescent. It is now 23 W of LED. and it is way brighter and about 4x more useful than before... and as you can clealy see, there is NOTHING "spot" about it! The original light just made a puddle of light on the floor right under it. I couldn't see my shelves at the outside walls at all. I can now! From my page:
Garage Opener Light

garage2_overall.jpg

Last edited: