Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase? 11/11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the price increase is to consume the pending federal tax credits since all the deliveries will come when the credit is available... I said this about 6 months ago, this is a huge win for tesla bottom line with no impact to consumer. Price goes up but credit offsets increase and payments stay the same to consumers...

We also have to remember that Tesla pricing is market based like airlines and as soon as demand slows the price will go down, we saw this in1.5 year trend after initial order delivery.

The $49.9k Cyber truck is looking real good right now...

Reactions: cusetownusa
So best case scenario currently is to have dropped an order around late Sept or early Oct, before these price increases, and then hope you don't take delivery until after the New Year so you qualify for the tax credit - if it sticks. Or put the order on hold if Dec delivery becomes a reality.

So the price increase is to consume the pending federal tax credits since all the deliveries will come when the credit is available... I said this about 6 months ago, this is a huge win for tesla bottom line with no impact to consumer. Price goes up but credit offsets increase and payments stay the same to consumers...

We also have to remember that Tesla pricing is market based like airlines and as soon as demand slows the price will go down, we saw this in1.5 year trend after initial order delivery.

The $49.9k Cyber truck is looking real good right now...
You think the CT will stay that price when it’s time to purchase? 2023+?

True, but so far there is no indication that demand will slow. The price will come down when competition begins. Then there will be price wars.

Last edited:
I'm a relatively happy Model 3 owner who's toyed with the notion of trading for a Y, but I want something else like a 4860 battery pack or meaningful updates to pay that much of a price increase.
I was/am in the same boat. Totally happy with my 2018 Model 3 LR with EAP (35k miles). The resale was just too high to ignore, and the spreadsheet told me I was a fool not to sell and rebuy another Tesla. Here's a shot of my trusty steed heading off yesterday to a new adventure of her own.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reactions: mrmtb

For the most part but Tesla has also been putting new cars (like the M3 and MS) in existing inventory NOW at the latest, highest prices to capture sales and additional profits NOW, even before some customers have been able to take delivery of their previously ordered, lower priced cars.

Crazy. I was about to forfeit my $100 deposit next month on another order I still have pending, but now I'm thinking I may try to just take delivery of it if there really is going to be a tax credit available for it..... then dump the car onto the used market with less than 50 miles :p . Not looking for a profit, but would just want to break even.

Basic spec 5-seater with tow package.

MYLR-Open-Order-DELIVERY-HOLD-May2021.jpg

If you think this is the last raise out if you think it’s going back down to original price you in denial.
Not going to win a ton of friends on a Tesla forum by saying stuff like this, but here goes ...

They could surely push the price for these vehicles into the high 60's, low 70s eventually but then they're getting into pricing where buyers are used to getting luxury feel, especially on the inside. I love my Model 3, but its basic inside, so is the Model Y.

With new EV entries on the horizon, dunno how sustainable this is for them.

Not going to win a ton of friends on a Tesla forum by saying stuff like this, but here goes ...

They could surely push the price for these vehicles into the high 60's, low 70s eventually but then they're getting into pricing where buyers are used to getting luxury feel, especially on the inside. I love my Model 3, but its basic inside, so is the Model Y.

I don't think the long-term sustainability of current pricing matters to Tesla. They're taking advantage of the current market, and they've shown a willingness + ability to quickly change prices in response to the market. The efficiency and simpleness of their cars, including manufacturing process and even the sales process, bodes well for competing on price in the future.

Crazy. I was about to forfeit my $100 deposit next month on another order I still have pending, but now I'm thinking I may try to just take delivery of it if there really is going to be a tax credit available for it..... then dump the car onto the used market with less than 50 miles :p . Not looking for a profit, but would just want to break even.

Basic spec 5-seater with tow package.

MYLR-Open-Order-DELIVERY-HOLD-May2021.jpg
So this is just for my area and CarBuyerUSA is known for reducing initial offers by a $1-2k after inspection, but I plugged in a base Model Y LR with 5k miles and they spit out a $66k offer. o_O

Reactions: CarbonPear
Are the prices only going up in the US? Or are other countries seeimg these increases too?
We recently had a price increase for the non-performance models but we can only dream of a 49K LR 😔
You Guys are now paying what we always have been paying ....even still less, taking in account the Exchange rate..
(My recently ordered M3P would be equal to 84.000 dollar)

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73

Yea you’re not paying for luxury here in the 3/Y which are essentially entry level teslas. Your paying that much. Because You want a Tesla. No different at this point as buying a loaded apple device. You want luxury you need to look at a S and X. Even the lucid, rivian, Mercedes’ offerings are considered luxury and are 77k-100k+

You think the CT will stay that price when it’s time to purchase? 2023+?
I think if you have an order / reservation in now you will maintain the price as Tesla will be beat to market by Rivian (saw 2 production cars on the road yesterday with paper plates), Ford will have trucks out by Jan, and GM with the Hummer. I have a deposit in on the truck for the middle model but with the credit I may put an order in for top model... My only hesitation on the truck is I want to drive it before I make the final commitment due to size and design.