Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Price Increase? 11/11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is a huge win for tesla bottom line with no impact to consumer.
But there is an impact to customers. The rebate is supposed to be an incentive to encourage consumers to buy EVs. No incentive if Tesla just raises the price and effectively “keeps” the rebate for themselves. And just to add insult to injury, the consumer ends up paying more taxes and registration fees. But hey, if the demand is there, then might as well keep raising the price!

But there is an impact to customers. The rebate is supposed to be an incentive to encourage consumers to buy EVs. No incentive if Tesla just raises the price and effectively “keeps” the rebate for themselves. And just to add insult to injury, the consumer ends up paying more taxes and registration fees. But hey, if the demand is there, then might as well keep raising the price!
Tesla: If they can afford a $50k car, they can afford a $60k car. Do it.

Well, even if today's market lets car makers take the whole incentive as extra profit, that itself should be their incentive for making and selling more EVs. So I think it's still useful, even if it won't make EVs much cheaper in the short-term.

Okay sure, Tesla doesn't need incentives to focus on EVs. :) However it may help ICE automakers give more development and production priority to EVs.

I don’t think they are raising price bc of maybe (big maybe) tax credits will return. It’s just combination of supply problems, high demand and inflation.
I think it's a combination of all the above, with basic economics (supply/demand) both on inputs and outputs playing the biggest cause. Tax credit - which isn't even for sure is a possible small cause too.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Luckily I placed my order Sept 5th. $5k more now. Jeez. Tesla really is putting all their eggs into the possibility that the EV rebates will pass. If it doesn't, the price of the MYLR is going to be wayyyyyy higher than the competition like the Mach E, Kia EV6, or the Hyundai Ionic 5. Competition is coming and I can't wait to see what I will be able to buy in a few years when I am ready to get my next pair of EVs. At the rate Tesla is jacking up the prices, in 3-4 years when I ready to buy new cares, the Model Y will be $80k for the base model. :):)

Yea you’re not paying for luxury here in the 3/Y which are essentially entry level teslas. Your paying that much. Because You want a Tesla. No different at this point as buying a loaded apple device. You want luxury you need to look at a S and X. Even the lucid, rivian, Mercedes’ offerings are considered luxury and are 77k-100k+
The S and X are not luxury, Tesla does not make a true "luxury" vehicle. Luxury is typically defined by the quality of the fit, finish and customer service provided. The quality of my 2018 $45,000 Audi is way above the quality of my $84K Model S. Sure Tesla has more power and technology, but the fit and finish is no where near Audi, Mercedes, BMW or any of the legacy luxury brands.
The finishes on the refreshed S are definitely a step in the right direction, but if you compared it to a $94K car from a German luxury automaker it's still sub-par at best for the price.
Speed and power doesn't classify a car as luxury.

So best case scenario currently is to have dropped an order around late Sept or early Oct, before these price increases, and then hope you don't take delivery until after the New Year so you qualify for the tax credit - if it sticks. Or put the order on hold if Dec delivery becomes a reality.
I mean, BEST case scenario would have been to place an order at the 48,9 price and then somehow delay it all the way to Jan for the tax credits haha. I locked mine in at 52,9 and I felt like I had missed out by not locking in a lower price...hindsight is 20/20, eh? I'm now very thankful I put it in when I did!

The S and X are not luxury, Tesla does not make a true "luxury" vehicle. Luxury is typically defined by the quality of the fit, finish and customer service provided. The quality of my 2018 $45,000 Audi is way above the quality of my $84K Model S. Sure Tesla has more power and technology, but the fit and finish is no where near Audi, Mercedes, BMW or any of the legacy luxury brands.
The finishes on the refreshed S are definitely a step in the right direction, but if you compared it to a $94K car from a German luxury automaker it's still sub-par at best for the price.
Speed and power doesn't classify a car as luxury.
I think other “cheaper” vehicles also have their fit, finish and level of CS the same or even better.
Can I just say, “luxury” is all about paying for the premium.

Reactions: JanG007
I think other “cheaper” vehicles also have their fit, finish and level of CS the same or even better.
Can I just say, “luxury” is all about paying for the premium.
Not really, cause with Tesla you're paying the premium and still not getting luxury. Luxury I think is not just the car itself, but the overall experience the brand brings.