Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Range query....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks sideways at SR+ in the driveway with a 200mile round trip coming up.. Not necessarily expecting to manage without a charge and have a few options on the way back, but kinda hoped it might have been doable.

It probably is doable...but at what speed/time cost? That's what I've learned with this car. You have to make decisions on what time/speed is acceptable for long journeys and make your charging stops around that, which is why ABRP is really good at helping you decide.

Reactions: Adopado
It probably is doable...but at what speed/time cost? That's what I've learned with this car. You have to make decisions on what time/speed is acceptable for long journeys and make your charging stops around that, which is why ABRP is really good at helping you decide.

yeah I'm just going to try autopilot at 70 and see what happens. Will definitely do the outbound in one go, and might need to stop around membury/reading on the way back so I'll keep an eye out. Will be on my own in the car so I can experiement a little without annoying the family as I get used to things

On the LR, set the display to %. Then in winter you will beat 2x%, and in winter you will get almost 3x%. At least that's my experience and matches what you saw. Mix of fast A road and motorway.

In the winter you can help beat the formula by preheating from the wall before you leave if an extra 20 miles will make the difference, otherwise a 5 min stop for a top-up will see you home. Prefer to stop when the battery is getting low and is warm and you can add plenty of range in 5 or 10 mins.

looks sideways at SR+ in the driveway with a 200mile round trip coming up.. Not necessarily expecting to manage without a charge and have a few options on the way back, but kinda hoped it might have been doable..

Give www.abetterrouteplanner.com a go and make sure you put in the relevant adjustments for climate/other conditions, temp, rain, wind, load etc,. I just leave mine set on a pessimistic setting to hopefully cover all eventualities.

Give www.abetterrouteplanner.com a go and make sure you put in the relevant adjustments for climate/other conditions, temp, rain, wind, load etc,. I just leave mine set on a pessimistic setting to hopefully cover all eventualities.
This. Abrp is super important to the EV world, lets you see real world performance and permutations of weather etc.

A big factor is wind. Been a lot of it the last few days in the UK. A 15-20mph headwind can have a massive effect on your range. Couple of times on my regular Cardiff-Newcastle drive a strong Northerly wind has meant my range wasn't as the trip computer predicted and used a lot more juice than it thought. Similarly, a tailwind like that will make you go quite a bit further. But you need to realise the 300+ mile range is in perfect conditions with mixed speed driving, not cold wet windy 70mph.

A big factor is wind. Been a lot of it the last few days in the UK. A 15-20mph headwind can have a massive effect on your range. Couple of times on my regular Cardiff-Newcastle drive a strong Northerly wind has meant my range wasn't as the trip computer predicted and used a lot more juice than it thought. Similarly, a tailwind like that will make you go quite a bit further. But you need to realise the 300+ mile range is in perfect conditions with mixed speed driving, not cold wet windy 70mph.
Good point! A 20mph head wind makes the car work like you are doing 90. And we know that is bad for the range.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
yeah I'm just going to try autopilot at 70 and see what happens. Will definitely do the outbound in one go, and might need to stop around membury/reading on the way back so I'll keep an eye out. Will be on my own in the car so I can experiement a little without annoying the family as I get used to things

Good point about experimenting when no family aboard! You will inevitably want to gauge how the car performs but try not to spend your life trying to break your range records! Tesla generally makes things easy by providing the Supercharger network and it's so much better to be stress free. Also you don't want to be arriving with no range left! I time my longer journeys across lunchtime whenever possible ... stop to charge whilst having a break and a meal. To be honest with you, as a fellow SR+ owner I wouldn't try a 200 mile journey with mostly motorway. I've driven 130 miles using only 50% in the past but that means nothing because it was in milder temperatures and with no motorway sections at all ... just relaxed country roads. (We've still got a Fiesta as a second car and it's "range loss" (mpg) can be 40 or 50% less than quoted depending on where and how it's driven. Quoted car ranges assume perfect conditions and a very light right foot.) Another vote for Abetterrouteplanner too.

Reactions: Mrklaw
All these discussions about head wind etc are interesting, but the fact remains that OP went from 96% to 7%, apparently at 269 Wh/mile and covered 200 miles. 200 x 269 = 53.8 kWh. That is a lot less than 75kWh - so something is missing. Either the battery is way down on its capacity or there’s been some energy lost not accounted for in the 269 figure.

All these discussions about head wind etc are interesting, but the fact remains that OP went from 96% to 7%, apparently at 269 Wh/mile and covered 200 miles. 200 x 269 = 53.8 kWh. That is a lot less than 75kWh - so something is missing. Either the battery is way down on its capacity or there’s been some energy lost not accounted for in the 269 figure.
@Acko1985 - where did the 269 come from? Trip computer for the trip, or the energy graph? Energy graph will only show last 30 miles, and tbh I never remember to set up a trip counter...

Is there a way to adjust stops on ABRP? sometimes doing a windsor-bath round trip it’ll say to top up at members for 7 minutes on the way out, sometimes the way back. It’d be good to have more flexibility to tweak after the initial route to charge earlier/later. Zap map seems a bit better for that but still fiddly

Is there a way to adjust stops on ABRP? sometimes doing a windsor-bath round trip it’ll say to top up at members for 7 minutes on the way out, sometimes the way back. It’d be good to have more flexibility to tweak after the initial route to charge earlier/later. Zap map seems a bit better for that but still fiddly

You can add waypoints as you like and tweak the waypoint actions and parameters.

You can add waypoints as you like and tweak the waypoint actions and parameters.

right but then it calculates charging stops for you - its those I’d like to tweak to see the effects. Eg doing an M4 run should I stop at wokingham, reading, membury, bristol and what differences for each?

edit: hmm zap map seems decent for that. You can tap chargers along the route and it’ll show the estimated charge level remaining at each one.

right but then it calculates charging stops for you - its those I’d like to tweak to see the effects. Eg doing an M4 run should I stop at wokingham, reading, membury, bristol and what differences for each?

edit: hmm zap map seems decent for that. You can tap chargers along the route and it’ll show the estimated charge level remaining at each one.
Click on the stop and change the time or kW to what you want