Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Spare Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Just because people ask "how often do you ever have a flat tire", I like to post every time I get a flat tire and have to have my car towed because it doesn't have a spare. Anyway, missed seeing a pot hole today and it blew out the tire on my 3, and I had to be towed back home. My last flat was on my S a year or two ago. I seem to average 1 flat tire every year or two.

Also, I think it's time I finally found a spare for each car, both my Performance 3 (Stealth, with the 19" wheels, not sure what caliper size it has) and my 2014 Model S P85. They can be butt ass ugly, and don't have to fit inside the car nicely; they can be full size, or not, doesn't matter so long as it works. Most flats I get are close to home, so someone could just bring me the spare rather than having to arrange a tow when I get a flat (arranging a tow is costly and time consuming). If you have any recommendations for cheap spares for either the 3 or S, let me know!

1st flat was about 2 years ago and metal shard sliced into the tire. Tesla roadside came with a loaner wheel and wanted to take my aftermarket wheel with them. I told them hell no since i didn't trust them with it. Guy let me hold onto my wheel and asked that i get the tire fixed and return the loaner to the server center within a couple days. Got my 2nd flat today actually. Got the warning about air pressure being low and pulled over on the freeway. I could hear and feel where the puncture was. Used my portable air compressor and filled up just enough to make it to a local tire shop with 20 psi left. They patched for $20 and within 10 minutes i was on my way.

Ordered my spare from Modernspare about a month ago and still waiting for it to arrive. Sat there along the freeway today thinking that spare could have come in handy today. 😒

Definitely won't be going on any long trips until that spare comes in. My car is low and my front lip would definitely get torn up if it ever needed to get towed. Warranty is running out in 3000 miles so will be getting bags soon.

If you have any recommendations for cheap spares for either the 3 or S, let me know!

Everyone here on TMC always posts about "modern spare". If you search TMC for that term you will see quite a few threads. I dont have one myself, but since you asked "what are people recommending" (basically), thats what gets the most hits around here.

Just because people ask "how often do you ever have a flat tire", I like to post every time I get a flat tire and have to have my car towed because it doesn't have a spare. Anyway, missed seeing a pot hole today and it blew out the tire on my 3, and I had to be towed back home. My last flat was on my S a year or two ago. I seem to average 1 flat tire every year or two.

Also, I think it's time I finally found a spare for each car, both my Performance 3 (Stealth, with the 19" wheels, not sure what caliper size it has) and my 2014 Model S P85...
Yeah the Tesla community can be a bit blinkered on this issue. The roads around here give me a flat tyre every six months or so. It would be nice if Tesla could design a recess to where owners could store a spare. I've had enough flat tyres on a public holidays to know that being stranded isn't fun and really shouldn't be an issue in the 21st century.

Our solution was to purchase a third party alloy wheel/tyre from the local tyre dealer. It had to be ordered in. It takes up a lot of room but it's worth the security.

My MX has different size tires in the Front and Rear, so Modern Spare was the only option which could solve with the use of a spacer. The spare came in today, put it in the garage will check it out over the weekend. I am going on a road trip visiting multiple National parks next month so decided to order the Modern Spare just in case we have a situation where a spare tire is required.

There are other car mfrs with the same lug spacing as the Model 3 wheels. The 2016 Hyundai Genesis for one. They have a compact spare 135/80/18 which fits the Model 3, 0.8% larger fit, but you may need to have the lug holes tapered at a machine shop. On eBay they used to be about $100, but due to demand the prices have gone up closer to $200.

Reactions: AJ..
I just bought 5 winter set-ups for my M3P. Used Alutec Monster (I think same people as Rial, made in Poland, not China; about $200 from Tire Rack) 18" and Vredestein performance winter tire that is fine as a spare and means I am still good if I wreck a wheel and they stop making this model. Little bulkier than the Modernspare but I'll bet will drive a lot better too. Importantly for me, this is a bolt-up wheel--needs no extra hardware, especially NO centering rings, which I hate.