Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla fire in a garage, this time in Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, even an outright admission of guilt is not determinative of negligence because that offends the ultimate issue rule - which is that the trier of fact (i.e. the judge) determines fault. However, an admission of guilt is one factor that can be taken into account by the trier of fact. The same applies to an apology at common-law although most jurisdictions have an "Apology Act" that does not allow a trier of fact to consider an apology at all, such as this one from BC:

Effect of apology on liability

2 (1) An apology made by or on behalf of a person in connection with any matter
(a) does not constitute an express or implied admission of fault or liability by the person in connection with that matter,
(b) does not constitute an acknowledgment of liability in relation to that matter for the purposes of section 24 of the Limitation Act,
(c) does not, despite any wording to the contrary in any contract of insurance and despite any other enactment, void, impair or otherwise affect any insurance coverage that is available, or that would, but for the apology, be available, to the person in connection with that matter, and
(d) must not be taken into account in any determination of fault or liability in connection with that matter.
(2) Despite any other enactment, evidence of an apology made by or on behalf of a person in connection with any matter is not admissible in any court as evidence of the fault or liability of the person in connection with that matter.
Apology Act

This makes sense since we want a civil society where people apologize even when they have done no wrong without it being used against them.
I agree with everything but the last statement. Not sure we want a society where people are constantly apologizing so much it loses its intrinsic value.

We also don't need people running around constantly saying they're sorry. But you Canadians might prefer it that way.... Sorry.

This fire looks like it originated in the garage.
An attached garage requires type X fire rated drywall. Based on the ceiling bulkhead and batt insulation this certainly looks like it's part of the house.

From the photos it appears to me that the firemen tore the drywall off the walls and part of the ceiling looking for the source of the fire.
The fire fighter in one of the photos on the right is looking forward in front of the car, not back towards the car.

The media must be looking for any excuse to pin this on TESLA with a misleading headline. Sure it "caught on fire" but what car wouldn't if a garage fire started.

Well my WAG is:

To me it looks like the owner came home, parked his Tesla, was in a hurry or something and didn't even bother to plug-in and forgot to close the garage door. Owner walks into his house. Arsonists who doesn't like owner and or Tesla sees the open door, splashes some accelerant, lights her up and runs away. Few moments later owner hears smoke detector go off, goes out to the garage sees his Tesla in flames...

It says something about people, specifically and generally, when they automatically attach nefarious intent and actions to others, just as it says something about people, specifically and generally, when they automatically think the best of others or give the benefit of the doubt until facts emerge. Others being individuals, groups, organizations, companies etc... What a fascinating look inside the minds of people this thread has been. :wink:
There's a reason I'm not into medicine: I don't want to see the inside of anyone's mind.

As for insight into them, yes that's very interesting. :)

Haha OK that seems to be a common theme here...

I've asked before out of interest, would such an action be actually illegal or just very immoral/manipulative?

In some states you can burn your house down deliberately if there is no risk to surrounding properties you do not intend to claim insurance, and you may have to notify fire dept.

(Not that I have any intention on doing this -- I'd need a Model S first! :p)

From what I have seen revealed so far, it is unclear whether the fire started somewhere else or in the Tesla.

I would speculate, IF the fire started in the Tesla that I would suspect a likely cause would be something in the 12 volt systems. 12 V battery, 12 V charging systems (converter), etc.

Since Tesla has stopped including fog lights and this vehicle seems to have aftermarket modifications. I would wonder if it had aftermarket fog lights....

What does that mean? There's really only one kind of short. A short. Low resistance leading to excessive current. The fault could also be caused by a normal (non-short) overload condition.

The DC-DC in Model S can supply over 150 amps at 13.5V, which is plenty of heating power dumped into thin wires!

Two types of shorts on this forum: short electrical; and Bonnie's short: Investors who 'short' TSLA

Two types of shorts on this forum: short electrical; and Bonnie's short: Investors who 'short' TSLA

Actually 3 kinds. The acceleration time of a Model S is also short ;)

I agree about the fire department pulling the wall apart to find the source if the fire. I personally don't think the fire had anything to do with the Tesla at all, the car just happened to be parked in a garage that caught on fire.

I agree the whole thing smells fishy. The photos are so very bad, it's hard to tell much of anything.

I don't know if it's the case for everyone, but when I went to the Insider's website just now, at the end of this piece was a link to the following, very positive story.

GRANTHAM: Tesla Was My #1 Car Experience - Business Insider

I looked up other articles written by the Business Insider author. She has written many articles about Tesla and Elon Musk. Pretty much everyone of them is negative. It's almost like she has an axe to grind with Elon (did he turn down an interview request? Insult her?). It reminds me an awful lot of the Valleywag and Jabolnik stuff.