Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla fire in a garage, this time in Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toronto Tesla Fire - Seeking Real Details

So I imagine that most people have already seen this interesting article that was released on Thursday - 2/13 - February 1st Toronto Tesla Fire - Business Insider

Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew the real details. The story seems a bit fishy and we're trying to understand what really happened. Does anyone any additional details or the owner or have a way of finding out? Thanks.

Re: Door Handles appear to be 'presented' ('out') in the photo(s): Door handles will move OUT when there is a fault in the 12 volt system. Presumably this action is to aid in getting the doors open. Happened to my MS when a 12 v battery connection became loose, disabling car.

> (somebody else) had a 14-50 plug installed by a licensed electrician. In a junction box, they insufficiently tightened several wire nuts and they got hot, and failed, potentially starting a fire in his attic. [Lloyd]

This is weird since 'good practice' would not have ANY wire nuts used in heavier wiring 30 amp or more. Wires should go directly to & from the terminals with no splicing boxes in between. But even if you *did* use a splicing box (due to long runs) then at least use wrench-tightened bronze clamps (properly torqued) instead of wire nuts. Licensed=smart (not always!). :wink:
--

We also don't need people running around constantly saying they're sorry. But you Canadians might prefer it that way.... Sorry.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got:
via Elizabeth Zwicky said:
You can always say you're sorry, even if it's only "I'm sorry you're so upset about this". It tends to calm things down.

I'll be interested to see what Tesla says about offering to compensate. My guess is, if it happened at all, they said "if it turns out to be the fault of the battery or charging system, rest assured it will be covered by the warranty" or something generic like that to make the guy feel better.

I'll be interested to see what Tesla says about offering to compensate. My guess is, if it happened at all, they said "if it turns out to be the fault of the battery or charging system, rest assured it will be covered by the warranty" or something generic like that to make the guy feel better.

It did happen. I emailed the Toronto team that is looking after my replacement Model S and they confirmed it as a true story. They didn't seem concerned, but did say that the story was factual and the quote used in the story was, in fact, direct from Tesla.

I suggested this over at TM forum as well. Small point: Change thread title to : ' Another garage fire with a Tesla parked inside' Semantics, I grant you, but since the cause is unknown it is more accurate and less inflammatory (no pun intended).