Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another thread on Mobile Connector or Wall Connector - 14-50 Outlet Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you - I will chat with my electrician - honestly - I will - but there is no way to get a line over to that side of the house - without being all ugly conduit [brick wall] and if were to move power over there I would simply install a new wall connector - thus - until I get my electrician out here in a couple weeks - its temporary solution.
That's fine. As a 2 week solution, you can check the car's setting every day and make sure the extension cord is still plugged in tightly. The real problem is when people rely on it permanently. The car does the right thing every day, they stop thinking about it, and...boom.

Penny-wise, Pound foolish is what I call that. Popping breakers is the LUCKY outcome. I emplore you to please run a proper circuit (with the right outlet on it) to a location where you don't need an extension cord.
Decision made. It's 30" from the box to the receptacle - don't have to upgrade the cable to the box - its already #4. So gonna have my friendly electrician come out and put in a 50 amp breaker. Then everyone will be satisfied including the car. Upgrades my charging from 5kwh to 8kwh or so. The 50 amp wall connector charges the Model S @ 38kwh - so I'll expect that as well.

Decision made. It's 30" from the box to the receptacle - don't have to upgrade the cable to the box - its already #4. So gonna have my friendly electrician come out and put in a 50 amp breaker.
Oh, well that's different. Since it only had a 30A breaker on it, I think we were all taking it for granted that it was thinner wire made for a 30A circuit, like probably 10 gauge, and therefore why we thought it was dangerous if this went to 32A. If it's 4 gauge, then yes, that easily supports a bigger circuit, and you can put in a bigger breaker, which we weren't considering.

Decision made. It's 30" from the box to the receptacle - don't have to upgrade the cable to the box - its already #4. So gonna have my friendly electrician come out and put in a 50 amp breaker. Then everyone will be satisfied including the car. Upgrades my charging from 5kwh to 8kwh or so. The 50 amp wall connector charges the Model S @ 38kwh - so I'll expect that as well.
Was the reason that a 30 amp breaker was originally installed that the panel was at capacity, a 50 amp circuit be too much?

Similar, but different - my current house, for some reason, has a 40A breaker and a 14-50 outlet (this was installed by the builder, and is the same for all of the houses in my neighborhood). I have the old (from 2017) mobile connector, which can draw up to 40A, which would be too much for this circuit configuration. So I just set the car to draw 32A, and everything is fine.

Well, the Gen2 mobile connector won't go over 32a, where the wall connector will do 40a on a 50a circuit, so it will be a bit slower. Still going with the extension cord, then?

Similar, but different - my current house, for some reason, has a 40A breaker and a 14-50 outlet (this was installed by the builder, and is the same for all of the houses in my neighborhood).
Ah, that one. Yes, that is an allowed condition in NEC. There isn't a 40A receptacle type, so they do allow using a 50A receptacle type on a 40A rated circuit like what you described, and that was very commonly done for ovens.

I have the old (from 2017) mobile connector, which can draw up to 40A, which would be too much for this circuit configuration.
Yup, and I am over 75% sure that these common installations is why Tesla made their 2nd generation mobile connector only able to draw 32A maximum. They didn't want people plugging 14-50 plugs into existing outlets and overdrawing.

So I just set the car to draw 32A, and everything is fine.
Well, it's fine until it doesn't work, and then hopefully the breaker trips. That manually dialed down setting in the car isn't super reliable for long term daily use, as it can not work or get reset for various reasons like software updates, or the car's GPS drifts a little and doesn't recognize it's supposed to be at your house to use that saved setting, etc.

So it would be nice to have something a bit more foolproof on that if it's just 40A rated wire, like 8 gauge Romex or something. Either a wall connector set for a 40A circuit, or getting a newer 2nd gen mobile connector cord that can only draw 32A would be a little safer and more reliable than counting on the manually dialed down setting on the car's screen or mobile app.

Similar, but different - my current house, for some reason, has a 40A breaker and a 14-50 outlet (this was installed by the builder, and is the same for all of the houses in my neighborhood). I have the old (from 2017) mobile connector, which can draw up to 40A, which would be too much for this circuit configuration. So I just set the car to draw 32A, and everything is fine.
I have a 6-50 on a 40a circuit and a wall mounted EVSE with a 30a charging limit. Just how things were done in 2011.

There are Gen1 14-50 adapters that set a 32a limit. They were sold in Canada when it was decided that 40a was a problem (don't know who decided, Tesla or Gov). You might be able to get one on FleaBay or some such.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
This might not be the right thread but wondering if the newest mobile connectors you buy today will charge faster than one from 1-2 years ago. Also I’d go w mobile connector and you will get 28+ mph w nema adapter

So it would be nice to have something a bit more foolproof on that if it's just 40A rated wire, like 8 gauge Romex or something. Either a wall connector set for a 40A circuit, or getting a newer 2nd gen mobile connector cord that can only draw 32A would be a little safer and more reliable than counting on the manually dialed down setting on the car's screen or mobile app.
I do wonder about the wire - like, whether it’s only 40A rated wire, or if it’s 50A rated and they just went with a smaller breaker. If it was the latter I would consider having the breaker swapped out…but I haven’t been motivated enough to pull the outlet apart and look at the wire yet. :)

This might not be the right thread but wondering if the newest mobile connectors you buy today will charge faster than one from 1-2 years ago.
No, it's exactly the same. The 2nd generation mobile connector cord was introduced with the introduction of the Model 3 in 2018, and it has been the same one that they moved to include in all of the cars since then. (They don't include it by default now, but that's the cord for sale in the store.)

Now there are two separate similar products, though. The mobile connector (used to be called Universal Mobile Connector) has changeable adapter plugs. That one is limited to 32A charging. There is a different one called the Corded Mobile Connector. That is still based on the original 1st generation cord and so still does provide 40A, but it has a permanent 14-50 plug instead of changeable adapter plugs.

Reactions: tesluv108
Well, the Gen2 mobile connector won't go over 32a, where the wall connector will do 40a on a 50a circuit, so it will be a bit slower. Still going with the extension cord, then?
we're gonna chat about putting a receptacle on a pedestal - don't have room for a wall charger since its side of the garage with work benches, storage shelving and what not. . . .

its actually not a problem with amperage and kwh - even if I charge at 38kwh [which is what our wall connector does on a 50 amp circuit] its still only 8kwh [figure 208v supplied]- and I have 8 hours to charge at 10.88 cents per kwh. So thats 60kwh or so with overhead - so that is a FULL 100% charge if I start at 20% - and 95% of the driving will be at no more than 75% daily driver charge level which is 61.5kwh total - 20% is 16.4kwh - so I just need to add 45.1kwh which, if my math is right, will be right about 6 hours middle of the night - and cost $5 or so for 175 miles of local driving or so. 2.8 cents per mile for fuel - vs 20 cents a mile at $4 a gallon for the 911 at 20mpg long term average. I can live with that.

Last edited:
I think you meant you charge at 38mph or 8kW (40a x 208v = 8.3kW). The mobile connector will run at 32a, so at 208v, that's 6.6kW or 53kWh over 8 hours. The model 3, being more efficient than the Model S, should net you about 26-28mph on that hookup.

Should be no sweat.

I think you meant you charge at 38mph or 8kW (40a x 208v = 8.3kW). The mobile connector will run at 32a, so at 208v, that's 6.6kW or 53kWh over 8 hours. The model 3, being more efficient than the Model S, should net you about 26-28mph on that hookup.

Should be no sweat.
Interesting thread here is my experience
1. I had a 2013 p85 where I used a nema 10-30 and gen 1 portable charger and got 18 miles an hour. That was back in 2017 before chargegate
2. I now have a newer s with lower miles and it charges slower with a gen 2 mobile charger. (Go figure 16 mph).
3. The 3 performance charged much better with the same gen 2 setup on 240v 24 amp. It flew at around 30 to 32 mph. The S charged on that very same dryer plug.

Moral is , both are fine compared to 110 charging which is unacceptable. However the S annoys me they slowed it down so far w home charging to avoid any type of warranty claims

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
we're gonna chat about putting a receptacle on a pedestal - don't have room for a wall charger since its side of the garage with work benches, storage shelving and what not. . . .

its actually not a problem with amperage and kwh - even if I charge at 38kwh [which is what our wall connector does on a 50 amp circuit] its still only 8kwh [figure 208v supplied]- and I have 8 hours to charge at 10.88 cents per kwh. So thats 60kwh or so with overhead - so that is a FULL 100% charge if I start at 20% - and 95% of the driving will be at no more than 75% daily driver charge level which is 61.5kwh total - 20% is 16.4kwh - so I just need to add 45.1kwh which, if my math is right, will be right about 6 hours middle of the night - and cost $5 or so for 175 miles of local driving or so. 2.8 cents per mile for fuel - vs 20 cents a mile at $4 a gallon for the 911 at 20mpg long term average. I can live with that.
I’ve read your calculations and agree in general. However I’m pretty sure you already know this, people don’t get to S or performance 3 for gas savings exclusively. They want the mind numbing performance, the gas savings can be a bonus

Should be no sweat.
I meant 38 amp hours.
I’ve read your calculations and agree in general. However I’m pretty sure you already know this, people don’t get to S or performance 3 for gas savings exclusively. They want the mind numbing performance, the gas savings can be a bonus
I agree with you there. But the battery charges as I stated. How I burn up those electrons is the other side of the equation. But even if I double the use, I’m still half what my 911 cost for fuel.

Reactions: tesluv108
Here is my use case.

I have an existing NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage.
I just purchased a MY.
I do not want to run another cable to my fuse junction box and I would like to use my 14-50 plug to charge my MY.
Wall Connector does not come with a 14-50 adapter. It must be hard-wired. It will cost $$ to have an electrician come out and hard-wire the Wall Connector.
Mobile Connector does come with a 14-50 adapter.
Question is can I just purchase the Mobile Connector and be done with it? This means I will charge my MY everyday on a Mobile Connector that I can mount on my wall. Is there an issue using Mobile Connector as my main charger? I understand Mobile Connector is not a smart unit which means I will need to get stats etc from my Tesla and not rely on stats from the EVSE itself. Not a big deal in my opinion.
just do the Mobile Connector with 14-50 adapter and be done.
the charge rate is more than sufficient for overnight charge-ups.
you will then also have the MC for travel useage; just think about whatever other plug type adapters you'd want.

your setup is nearly the same as mine.
just make sure the 14-50 connector you've got is a Hubble or similar, rated for continuous use, and proper circuit breaker.

Related question for the knowledgeable folks in this thread:

I'm nearing completion on the construction of a new home. I asked them to install a 60A, non-GFCI circuit for later installation of a wall charger (I told them this). I saw that they recently installed a 14-50 receptable at the location where this wall charger is supposed to go, which I assume also means it's going to be on a GFCI breaker (I don't think this is installed yet?). Is there any easy way for me to verify that the wiring they installed is indeed capable of 60A and that I will be able to put in a wall charger later without re-wiring everything? Yes I realize I could just ask them the same question but I'll just say that getting the truth out of these people (rather than what I want to hear) has been quite the challenge. My main worry is that they did a circuit for a 14-50 and called it a day, and that I won't be able to get 48A charging in the future out of a wall charger without re-wiring.

Not an electrician and this is my first time with this kind of thing. Thanks for any advice.