Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another winter tire thread.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far the continental winter contact si’s have performed well so far. The greasy stuff is a pain for any tire. Has anyone had experience with them on a previous car?

I've not had the same results with my continental unfortunately. There's a big hill that I couldn't overcome and had to turn back. Granted that the snow plows haven't come by, but my car was the only one that couldn't make the climb at that time. I have previously seen other cars not being able to make it up this hill too, and it always seems to be RWD cars like the BMWs.

• Informative
Reactions: fidodido
To be honest - I have nothing but praise for the Continental WinterContact TS 850 (V rating). I have these on the RWD M3, and so far I cant say enough good things about them.

They are quiet, on par them the OEM all-seasons. On the slippery stuff (typical on roads that have been plowed at least once but still snow covered), great traction (nothing ground breaking, you would expect this
I've not had the same results with my continental unfortunately. There's a big hill that I couldn't overcome and had to turn back. Granted that the snow plows haven't come by, but my car was the only one that couldn't make the climb at that time. I have previously seen other cars not being able to make it up this hill too, and it always seems to be RWD cars like the BMWs.

Honestly I'm not sure if many winter tires are going to help with these kinds of situations. Like you, I have a RWD M3 LR. I have the WinterContact 850'S installed and so far have been very impressed. However - I dread the thought of being caught uphill with a barely plowed road in thicker / slushy snow. The car is still ~ 3800 pounds being pushed on its two rear wheels on an incline with limited traction - its performance is going to suffer imo if you have Hakka, X-ice's, Conti's, choose tire of your choice installed in those use cases.

Reactions: jjtsl
I have that set on right now. Do you mind elaborating on how they underperform in the snow?
First time it snowed I was traveling home on the 401 Cambridge/Toronto. Around Milton I kept feeling the car slide sideways, I put it down to twitchy steering but it felt like the rear had flat tires. Several times now I get the same sheering, mostly on packed roads, slushy snow it’s not to bad. I have a lot more weight on the rear of my car so I would not expect that to do that at any point. This morning traveling west on the slip road pulling onto the 401 from the 427 it did it again, braking is fine but I do not appreciate sliding sideways on the gentlest of cambers on steady throttle at 50km/hr.

• Informative
Reactions: Funkmobile
If you are paid member ($50 /yr) of Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca then you are eligible for certain discount for Kal Tire which varies by what you are purchasing. Information is listed in members zone of the website.
Correct, and I saved well north of $100 on my Nokian R3's. I don't recall the exact amount, however I believe it covered the tax. Anyone know the approximate savings?

First time it snowed I was traveling home on the 401 Cambridge/Toronto. Around Milton I kept feeling the car slide sideways, I put it down to twitchy steering but it felt like the rear had flat tires. Several times now I get the same sheering, mostly on packed roads, slushy snow it’s not to bad. I have a lot more weight on the rear of my car so I would not expect that to do that at any point. This morning traveling west on the slip road pulling onto the 401 from the 427 it did it again, braking is fine but I do not appreciate sliding sideways on the gentlest of cambers on steady throttle at 50km/hr.

Ok, that's inline with my expectations for the tire. It's the perfect Vancouver weather tire: Great in the dry and wet, and adequate on the occasional snow event.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
The Xice have a 7mm thread depth as apossed to 8mm+, thus better suited for ice & fuel economy.
A good rule of thumb for winter tires that work good in snow/slush is if their quiet they won’t be great.
Look for tires with deep thread & lots of grooves. The 3 has wide tires which is not good for winter, down size wheel size for winter. Ive notice my winter tires are loosing ftread after 5k.

The Xice have a 7mm thread depth as apossed to 8mm+, thus better suited for ice & fuel economy.
A good rule of thumb for winter tires that work good in snow/slush is if their quiet they won’t be great.
Look for tires with deep thread & lots of grooves. The 3 has wide tires which is not good for winter, down size wheel size for winter. Ive notice my winter tires are loosing ftread after 5k.

Which winter tire do you have?

The X-Ice actually has a tread life warranty, which is unusual for winter tires. So, I'd expect it to get decent life.

I know Blizzaks wear fast and lose much of their winter capabilities after a season or two because their underlying tread is harder.

Ice is a very different beast than snow. I think I most of the performance range winter tires will do well. A lot of people go with what they trust. I had a bad year on the Pirelli’s that just reinforced my bias. I love continentals and would get them in a heartbeat, drove for years in Nokains and not only were they rock solid and predictable they also never picked up punctures. I also had Yokohama winters as they were a steal and they were great, but noisy, they wore well on a heavy car but were squishy. I didn’t love them, wouldn’t not get them, they would make the list if the price was right. For me the list would go Nokians, Continental, Yokohama. The thing to remember is that it’s a heavy car so you want a tire that fits wear, reliability, noise and weight rating. I believe my bad experience with the pirellis was because the rear of the roadster is so heavy they simply acted like they were overinflated. Tires are always subjective, but it’s important not to compare someone experience with say a Subaru or Mercedes. An electric car is deceptively heavy and the experience from many other vehicles simply does not translate.

• Informative
Reactions: samk579
Nokian R3s for me all the way. For those in the GTA/Ontario region - I was up in Barrie at Horseshoe Valley Ski Resort... I managed to get down and up the hill to the resort without any issues on a snowy day.

I have to admit, I thought the R3 would struggle however, they made it up the hill fine which I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm happy with Continental. Had a set for my Audi and they still worked well in the winters after 10 years, which is surprising as I expected the rubber would have hardened/degraded after such a long time. They even stayed on a summer or two to protect the summer wheels while my wife was a new driver.

When I needed winter tires for my Subaru I bought Continentals as well, and I'm happy with those too. Best of all, they are reasonably priced. There's a good chance I'll go with Continental for my Model 3 AWD.

I'm happy with Continental. Had a set for my Audi and they still worked well in the winters after 10 years, which is surprising as I expected the rubber would have hardened/degraded after such a long time. They even stayed on a summer or two to protect the summer wheels while my wife was a new driver.

When I needed winter tires for my Subaru I bought Continentals as well, and I'm happy with those too. Best of all, they are reasonably priced. There's a good chance I'll go with Continental for my Model 3 AWD.

What’s the model?