Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advantage to Tesla Wall Connector vs ChargePoint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have a ChargePoint charger that I use for my Leaf. Is there any advantage to upgrading it to a Tesla Wall Vonnector when I get my MY other than not having to have the adaptor on it all the time? I’m planning to just trickle charge my leaf on the other side of the garage since I only drove it 10-15 miles per day.

Cost; The Gen3 Wall Connector ($400 US) is very competitively priced compared to Chargepoint, ClipperCreek and other EVSEs that enable charging at up to 48 amps.

With the Gen3 Wall Connector you can lock out charging for other Tesla vehicles that are not specific VINs.

With two or more vehicles that need to charge (using 240 Volt) multiple (up to 6) Wall Connectors can communicate (using WiFi) and automatically load balance.

Direct billing (a future capability.) Would be useful for a hotel, lodge or BnB, etc.

I already have a ChargePoint charger that I use for my Leaf. Is there any advantage to upgrading it to a Tesla Wall Vonnector when I get my MY other than not having to have the adaptor on it all the time? I’m planning to just trickle charge my leaf on the other side of the garage since I only drove it 10-15 miles per day.
In your case you won’t get any advantages with the wall connector.

Reactions: Rocky_H
not having to have the adaptor

Just buy an adapter to use at home and leave it connected. Leave the one that came with the car in the car.