Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance recently purchased model 3s will get the range upgrade as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think so. We might get a few miles but we don’t get the heat pump so the major advantages in cold weather is missing

Yes, the heat pump is useful for cold weather locations but it doesn't necessary increase overall range by itself. Unless there are battery differences as well I figured we could also get a range boost with an update.

I took delivery of a Model 3 in September and I'm curious if the battery tech in the last quarter vs current quarter is really that different. What happened the last time there was a range update?

Panasonic stated they improved battery density 5% starting in September, so I suppose if yours was BUILT in September it's possible you have the denser cells.

• Informative
Reactions: akenham
I’m very curious, but doubtful of much improvement.

Sounds more to do with updated batteries/heat pump if the provided information is accurate.

I’ve never had reason to complain about the range in my P3D. But if I do want more range, I’ll get more energy efficient wheels when my tires are due for a change.

I took delivery of a Model 3 in September and I'm curious if the battery tech in the last quarter vs current quarter is really that different. What happened the last time there was a range update?
Yes, but how many no one knows yet. Efficiency package refers to motor and hvac (eg. disabling passenger hvac when driving solo) software improvements leading to more miles of range. I think octovalve and battery chemistry factors in too. We should start to learn more in a few weeks what is attributed to software versus hardware . FYI just took delivery of 9/20 MY and it is getting its range increase - software only.

Battery improvement doesn’t equate to the mileages improvement stated.

it’s unclear if 2021 M3’s has heat pump or not.

There is a new update starting (slowly) to roll out since yesterday that states range improvements, but there’s not enough installs yet to know if that range also applies to 2020 and prior M3’s.

Everything will be clear soon enough.

Battery improvement doesn’t equate to the mileages improvement stated.

it’s unclear if 2021 M3’s has heat pump or not.

There is a new update starting (slowly) to roll out since yesterday that states range improvements, but there’s not enough installs yet to know if that range also applies to 2020 and prior M3’s.

Everything will be clear soon enough.

On TeslaFi update looks to be Y only, I’m not expecting any range improvement for us, 3s likely won’t even get this update.