Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any compelling alternatives to a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EA app also supports Apple Wallet and NFC.
Thanks for that tip!! It's my wife's car.. and the 3 years Free charging is tied to her account/phone/app. Since it's her stuff, I just helped her set it up the first time and never bothered looking into it more. I'll make sure she knows there is a much easier way to initiate charging by just using Apple wallet and tapping her phone to the NFC reader.

Might as well set it up on my phone too. As soon as Tesla sells that's CCS adapter in the US.. I'll definitely use EA charging as a 2nd option for my Tesla. Especially when they have those free charging weekends!

Reactions: Jeff N
anyone have any experience with the non super charger charging networks?
I had a Nissan Leaf before the Y 1.5 years ago and the experience was awful. Most older infrastructure level 2 and Chademo stations are not maintained and are broken with just 1 or 2 chargers available. Prices are all over the place from 0.24 to 0.79 with multiple companies, multiple apps with multiple procedures to charge although I heard Electrify America now use Apple Pay. Some places have membership fee while others have junk fees or forced to buy minimal credits in increments. I have 15 dollars in Shell for over a year which I may use just to occupy a nicer parking stall. unless you anticipate going to the charging station so you can download the app ahead of time and checking if it’s actually working recently, it would take about 5 to 15 minutes to setup downloading the app over 5G or slower, signing up, confirming by email, entering credit card and if you’re feeling lucky that it actually works.
@OxBrew I've heard EA phone support is actually good...but having to call them just to get a charge going would drive me nuts. Did your friend experience bad support or was it needing support in the first place that was the problem?

Time spent on the phone or fiddling with manual payment counts against an EV's charging curve in my book. That's a BIG part of why we ended up buying another Tesla even though we did like some of these other EVs.

Speaking of that, last I checked the Polestar 2 doesn't support Plug & Charge and Polestar hadn't announced any plans for it. To me that's an important feature for a good EV experience. At least Polestar finally added scheduled charging (for L2/L1 AC charging) in a recent OTA update.
In my experience my call with ChargePoint a guy with a French accent probably from Canada just redirected me to another sister station in their network which would be useful if you have no wifi or cannot search on your own or in my situation it would take my credit card,
but couldn‘t activate the charging over the app and over the phone troubleshooting found out both J1772 and Chademo were broken. Also they won’t tell you of a non affiliated station and I found out ChargePoint merged with EVgo.

The apps I use are PlugShare, EVgo, ChargePoint, Blink, Volta, EVgateway and Greenlots. Actually I‘ve use them only for testing or when it’s free since Superchargers are just more easier to use and more reliable.

Tesla‘s ecosystem is like Apple and we know how everything else goes.

Reactions: Daekwan
@TallGear Even MYLR is much faster and handles better than a Mach-E Premium AWD, yeah the Y costs more but you get more. I'm saying that from having tested them back-to-back. The Premium AWD is quieter than a Y and doesn't have the busy Model Y ride, but that's about its only advantages. The B&O sound system is better too I guess (but the 3/Y system isn't bad).
The MachE AWD LR has the exact same 0-60 time (4.8s) as an MYLR, and most reviewers agree the chassis on the MME is better balanced and it’s the better handing car. So not sure what you mean about it being “much faster”

The MachE AWD LR has the exact same 0-60 time (4.8s) as an MYLR, and most reviewers agree the chassis on the MME is better balanced and it’s the better handing car. So not sure what you mean about it being “much faster”
Google "Mach-E moose test" and see if it's got better handling.

That said, I'm not saying it's not a good car. I heavily considered one. Made it to my final 3 choices

Reactions: Whatstreet
Google "Mach-E moose test" and see if it's got better handling.

That said, I'm not saying it's not a good car. I heavily considered one. Made it to my final 3 choices
Tesla fans quote that stupid moose test to death like it’s the end-all be-all of handling metrics. Being able to swerve slightly better in one very specific emergency situation does not mean it’s a better handling car from a chassis dynamic perspective. It also failed the “moose test” because the esc allows the back end to step out and drift a bit, which is a trait they intentionally programmed into the car too add more “mustang” characteristic to it. The tires are also way too narrow on the MME which I believe Ford majorly screwed up on. I’m not saying the MY handles poorly, but the general consensus among professional auto reviewers that do this for a living is the the handling of the MME is better.

Last edited:
The MachE AWD LR has the exact same 0-60 time (4.8s) as an MYLR, and most reviewers agree the chassis is better balanced and it’s the better handing car. So not sure what you mean about it being “much faster”
I didn't try 0-60 pedal-to-the-floor pulls as that's not really how I drive my cars. My butt says the MYLR is easily quicker most of the time, especially on the highway / at higher speeds. Wife felt the same thing and she's not even into performance driving or such.

I don't recall the Premium AWD feeling slow. Not trying to say it's a problem. Just it was clearly slower than our old Tesla, especially on the highway, and that wouldn't do especially for my wife these days. (Driving a Tesla has spoiled her, she was driving a 4cyl slushbox when I met her. ;) ) Also neither of us liked how floaty the rear got on the highway. GT PE suspension 100% solves that problem though. Honestly we only tested a Premium AWD because that was the best Mach-E the dealer had available, we would've gone straight for the GT PE if they had one. We liked the Premium AWD enough that I then sought out a GT PE to test! And the GT PE ended up being my wife's favorite non-Tesla car we tested. (Polestar 2 Performance was mine.)

We all know now Ford's 0-60 numbers don't tell the whole story for the Mach-E. The 0-60 spec says GT PE will trounce an M3LR or MYLR, and that is true for 0-60...but the car falls on its face soon after that. Highway acceleration is where all these cars struggle the most, but the Mach-E has it worse than the 3/Y. Highway acceleration does matter to us.

I didn't try 0-60 pedal-to-the-floor pulls as that's not really how I drive my cars. My butt says the MYLR is easily quicker most of the time, especially on the highway / at higher speeds. Wife felt the same thing and she's not even into performance driving or such.

I don't recall the Premium AWD feeling slow. Not trying to say it's a problem. Just it was clearly slower than our old Tesla, especially on the highway, and that wouldn't do especially for my wife these days. (Driving a Tesla has spoiled her, she was driving a 4cyl slushbox when I met her. ;) ) Also neither of us liked how floaty the rear got on the highway. GT PE suspension 100% solves that problem though. Honestly we only tested a Premium AWD because that was the best Mach-E the dealer had available, we would've gone straight for the GT PE if they had one. We liked the Premium AWD enough that I then sought out a GT PE to test! In fact the GT PE was my wife's favorite non-Tesla car we tested. (Polestar 2 Performance was mine.)

We all know now Ford's 0-60 numbers don't tell the whole story for the Mach-E. The 0-60 spec says GT PE will trounce an M3LR or MYLR, and that is true for 0-60...but the car falls on its face soon after that. Highway acceleration is where all these cars struggle the most, but the Mach-E has it worse than the 3/Y. Highway acceleration does matter to us.
Yeah I’m hoping Ford gets their act together and does an OTA on the thermal throttling. There’s no reason a GTPE with all that power should be falling on its face after 5 seconds or at highway speeds over 80. I know electric motors don’t perform as well at high speeds, but 80mph isn’t exactly blazing fast.

Reactions: tm1v2
I suspect you are mixing-and-matching your specs. Although it is not too far off, most 0-60 mph measurements of the Mach-e AWD LR are around 5.2 to 5.1 seconds vs. around 4.8 seconds for the Model Y AWD LR. MotorTrend measured 4.8 seconds for the AWD LR Mach-e but in the same article they measure 4.1 seconds for the AWD LR Model Y. That’s because MotorTrend measures 0-60 differently than other publications by using a rollout allowance.

For what it’s worth, Tesla has a $2,000 dollar post-purchase “Acceleration Boost” option to bump the 0-60 time from 4.8 down to around 4.2 seconds that can be installed as a downloadable software update.

Last edited:
  • Informative
@TallGear I didn't actually take the GT PE on the highway, I blindly trusted that a Ford Mustang "GT Performance Edition" would deliver on the power. I was focused on its handling so I took it to some very twisty roads, where it performed excellent. But very tight, unfamiliar twisties and the suburban roads to get to them didn't expose its power limitations at all.

Later I learned more about its thermal throttling issues and I feel like we almost dodged a bullet. We both really liked the Mach-E in GT PE form, or at least we liked what it should be, if its charging and power delivery weren't throttled so much.

Tesla fans quote that stupid moose test to death like it’s the end-all be-all of handling metrics. Being able to swerve slightly better in one very specific emergency situation does not mean it’s a better handling car from a chassis dynamic perspective. It also failed the “moose test” because the esc allows the back end to step out and drift a bit, which is a trait they intentionally programmed into the car too add more “mustang” characteristic to it. The tires are also way too narrow on the MME which I believe Ford majorly screwed up on. I’m not saying the MY handles poorly, but the general consensus among professional auto reviewers that do this for a living is the the handling of the MME is better.
They're the only videos I've seen comparing and measuring handling performance. If you can point me to a measured slalom video or timed road course test I'd really appreciate it. Being able to transfer weight from one side to the other without overly unbalancing the car is a key handling metric. I dont think they do those tests because they're SUVs, not sedans/coupes.

The MME does outperform the MY on the skid pad, but that only represents a curve and not really windy roads.

I suspect you are mixing-and-matching your specs. Although it is not too far off, most 0-60 mph measurements of the Mach-e AWD LR are around 5.2 to 5.1 seconds vs. around 4.8 seconds for the Model Y AWD LR. MotorTrend measured 4.8 seconds for the AWD LR Mach-e but in the same article they measure 4.1 seconds for the AWD LR Model Y. That’s because MotorTrend measures 0-60 differently than other publications by using a rollout allowance.

That would explain why the MYLR felt quicker even at low speeds. Mach-E has so many trim levels though...is the 4x the same drivetrain/power as a Premium AWD?

Look at how much faster the 1/4 mile trap speed is for the MYLR. I don't do drag racing but 1/4 mile trap speeds seem to correlate pretty well with how quick a car feels to me on the highway. That 114.8 (MYLR) vs 103.5 (Mach-E 4x / Premium AWD?) pretty much matches the difference I felt.

They're the only videos I've seen comparing and measuring handling performance. If you can point me to a measured slalom video or timed road course test I'd really appreciate it. Being able to transfer weight from one side to the other without overly unbalancing the car is a key handling metric. I dont think they do those tests because they're SUVs, not sedans/coupes.

The MME does outperform the MY on the skid pad, but that only represents a curve and not really windy roads.
The GT PE is much more settled and quicker to transition in the twisties than MYLR. (I didn't test MYP.) GT PE also rides much better at the same time. It easily handles better in my book (and I'm very doubtful that the MYP suspension would make much difference to me vs MYLR, if you put the same wheels+tires on both).

The Premium AWD did not handle better to me than MYLR, the Premium AWD I drove was just too soft especially in the rear. (Yes Voxel I realize your experience was different! :) Maybe Ford has quietly changed Mach-E suspension parts much like Tesla apparently has with the Model 3 over the years.)

Reactions: voxel
The MY has quite a few too... LR7, LR, LR7+AB, LR+AB, and P (you could probably add the SRs in if you wanted to)
Heh fair enough. AB doesn't show up in Tesla's website though and I don't think I knew about it when we were car shopping. Going onto the Mach-E website the number of trim levels felt a little crazy, like there's just the perfect Mach-E for everyone, or at least every budget. :) And then in the car mags I would find them reviewing yet more Mach-E trim levels that weren't even listed on Ford's website! (Whereas I never came across a car mag reviewing AB for M3LR or MYLR.)

7 seat config wasn't relevant for us.

Last edited:
The GT PE is much more settled and quicker to transition in the twisties than MYLR. (I didn't test MYP.) GT PE also rides much better at the same time. It easily handles better in my book (and I'm very doubtful that the MYP suspension would make much difference to me vs MYLR, if you put the same wheels+tires on both).

The Premium AWD did not handle better to me than MYLR, the Premium AWD I drove was just too soft especially in the rear. (Yes Voxel I realize your experience was different! :) Maybe Ford has quietly changed Mach-E suspension parts much like Tesla apparently has with the Model 3 over the years.)
I tried to buy a GT (and/or Premium) a few days ago because they just arrived off a truck at a local dealer.. $10K markup on each! I was going to ask for a test drive but the Premium AWD was sold and off limits. I test drove both the SR and ER RWD models so I wanted to check if the AWD trim was as bouncy as others have said and if the GT version fixed the bounce (which doesn't happen in the RWD versions). They told me the GT wasn't prepped for a ride. Folks are buying them as soon as they arrive on the lot so I'm sure it's sold by now.

Photo Jan 18, 7 10 27 PM.jpg

• Informative
Some pretty colors on the Mach-E. I love that NY taxi yellow (not joking at all, tho I wouldn't pick it in NYC), and I've seen some other really nice looking factory colors on the Mach-E too. Tesla paint options have gotten so limited and boring over the years. If the Tesla trend line continues for another 10 years they'll bump into the Model T. 🤦‍♂️

At least Polestar makes the Tesla color selection look fun!

@voxel From what I've read the Mach-E GT does NOT improve much on the suspension, you really need to get the GT PE for a good, sporty suspension. I never tested a regular GT though. If you get a chance to test that one let us know how it drives.

Reactions: voxel
@voxel From what I've read the Mach-E GT does NOT improve much on the suspension, you really need to get the GT PE for a good, sporty suspension. I never tested a regular GT though. If you get a chance to test that one let us know how it drives.

It's supposedly just slightly better than the Premium but yeah.. the PE has the MagneRide adjustable suspension.

These cars are impossible to test drive these days. Like zero on lots anywhere. Almost as bad as trying to test drive a Model Y lol

I have an order for a Premium AWD Extended Range and a GTPE... I wasn't really interested in a GT per se but loved the color and wanted to see it in person. I suspect I won't be able to test drive MME until my cars are built and arrive... in May/June (basically 8 months after ordering). I've owned a MME RWD Standard Range so the only aspect I'd look for is the suspension - over bumps and sharp turns using the different drive modes.

I was gonna go for a Model S actually until I learned it could not tow.

I bought a tow package online for my 2015 Model S and towed a little 1500 lb aluminum trailer among other things. Didn't use it much, so sold it with the car when I bought my present S, BUT YOU CAN DEFINITELY TOW with the S. Like with any car with a tow set-up, you have to know your limitations. I would guess you wouldn't want to tow an Airstream, but there are lots of lightweight trailers out there that an S could tow easily.

I test drove a GT, it’s a bit lower and firmer than the standard one and takes the floaty feeling out of the rear end. Its better but not something you couldn’t do to any car with a $500 spring kit. The GTPE is on a whole different level from all the other MachEs and MYs, it’s handling is fantastic and you can see the benefit of a decades of performance car design coming through. But, it’s almost $10k more than a MYP so it’s not a perfect apples to apples comparison.

• Informative