Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the floodgates was going to open on the EV competition in 2022, but it seems like right now it's pretty difficult to buy any EV other than some Teslas. We were going to get my wife a Q4 Etron Sportback, but was told that it would be available at the end of 2022 at the earliest. We pivoted to a Volvo C40 last November, and now apparently the 2022 Volvo BEVs (XC40 & C40) are sold out, or at least no longer available to order. Seems like a long wait for anything else too. I guess the supply issues is not getting resolved anytime soon.

I’m getting an Ioniq 5 Limited AWD in two weeks. I had brief test drive with the SEL RWD trim and liked it. The big selling points for me was 800V fast charging and V2L (vehicle to load). I wanted the 1500W inverter on my Prime (which I refuse to give up and am not selling) but markups for those trims were insane. I will use the inverter in my hobbies… whether I will drive the Ioniq 5 into these far off swamp lands in Florida… who knows. This is one case where I will miss the Tesla network because the EA and non-Tesla DC chargers in FL are pretty spread out when not in metro areas.

I spoke with fellow Ioniq 5 owners that also own Mach-E and they prefer the Mach-E (as I do I think). I think the MME is truly underrated. Unfortunately it has firm suspension like the Y. The Ioniq 5 was quiet and smooth… closer to an ID.4 but I don't think I'd make that comparison now. Nothing about the Ioniq screams SUV. It feels and drives like a luxury sedan.

I think pricing is very competitive with others. It's $4K more than the ID.4 but the tech is 5 years ahead and it's quieter, faster (RWD is definitely faster than the base ID.4 Pro RWD I had), more luxurious, has more features. It also far less glitchy too. On my ID.4 test drive.. the infotainment system crashed or froze... that should have been a warning sign (I didn't buy that specific ID.4). Nothing like that happened on my Ioniq 5 test drive.

Pricing.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: FumelessCamper
I’m getting an Ioniq 5 Limited AWD in two weeks. I had brief test drive with the SEL RWD trim and liked it. The big selling points for me was 800V fast charging and V2L (vehicle to load). I wanted the 1500W inverter on my Prime (which I refuse to give up and am not selling) but markups for those trims were insane. I will use the inverter in my hobbies… whether I will drive the Ioniq 5 into these far off swamp lands in Florida… who knows. This is one case where I will miss the Tesla network because the EA and non-Tesla DC chargers in FL are pretty spread out when not in metro areas.

I spoke with fellow Ioniq 5 owners that also own Mach-E and they prefer the Mach-E (as I do I think). I think the MME is truly underrated. Unfortunately it has firm suspension like the Y. The Ioniq 5 was quiet and smooth… closer to an ID.4 but I don't think I'd make that comparison now. Nothing about the Ioniq screams SUV. It feels and drives like a luxury sedan.

I think pricing is very competitive with others. It's $4K more than the ID.4 but the tech is 5 years ahead and it's quieter, faster (RWD is definitely faster than the base ID.4 Pro RWD I had), more luxurious, has more features. It also far less glitchy too. On my ID.4 test drive.. the infotainment system crashed or froze... that should have been a warning sign (I didn't buy that specific ID.4). Nothing like that happened on my Ioniq 5 test drive.

View attachment 756767
Dude, I am pretty sure you have owned every EV made in the past year. Jesus Christ.. ID4.. then Model Y.. then Mach E.. you just got the RAV4 Prime.. and now already waiting for delivery for the Ioniq5!! How are you possibly finding these cars at MSRP? I would sell my Model Y immediately.. if I could find some of these vehicles with exactly the features I wanted at MSRP. Especially those that qualify for the $7,500 tax credit.

ID.4 is definitely not the world's greatest car. I hope no one is thinking that. My entire point is to stress how much of an **outrageous** value the ID.4 is compared to the Model Y.

I also have no doubt there are vehicles that are more luxurious and have more features. Hell even the ID.4's own sister, the Audi Q4 eTron only costs about $5,000 more.. has a much nicer interior/exterior and optional features like a 10" AR HUD. That said the ID.4's true bargain is that you will not find an EV with that much range, that fast charging, and options like AWD so cheap. You have to start at $48K to get AWD in the Ioniq5 and it will still be the very basic SE trim. From what I've heard the SE trim on the Ioniq5 is extremely disappointing and feels really cheap.. people are recommending the SEL or Limited. Finally, the Hyundai still doesn't get the 3 years of free charging that the ID.4.

I won't bother discussing freezing infotainment systems or other one-off instances.. as things like that have happened to many people using many different EVs. Hell, I've had quite a few times in my Model Y where the entire screen was frozen and the only way to get it back was to park the car and do a full reboot.

The biggest problem anybody is going to find right now searching for a non-Tesla EV is finding one at MSRP. Non-Tesla EV's are having serious supply issues.. and those in-stock & unreserved are generally going to get marked up heavily, especially if they qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. Dont be surprised to see something like a $10K markup on the RAV4 Prime. Locating a non-Tesla EV @ MSRP only gets increasingly difficult if you also have a trade-in and are searching dealers within driving distance, so you can do the entire transaction at the same dealer and capture additional savings thanks to any trade-in credit. We were very lucky to have found an ID.4 for MSRP at a dealer 25 miles AND that dealer took our trade while also matching Carvana's offer on my wife's 2018 Atlas. Basically gave us an additional $2,000 in tax savings!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacernow
Dude, I am pretty sure you have owned every EV made in the past year. Jesus Christ.. ID4.. then Model Y.. then Mach E.. you just got the RAV4 Prime.. and now already waiting for delivery for the Ioniq5!! How are you possibly finding these cars at MSRP? I would sell my Model Y immediately.. if I could find some of these vehicles with exactly the features I wanted at MSRP. Especially those that quality for the $7,500 tax credit.

ID.4 is definitely not the world's greatest car. I hope no one is thinking that. My entire point is to stress how much of an **outrageous** value the ID.4 is compared to the Model Y.

I also have no doubt there are vehicles that are more luxurious and have more features. Hell even the ID.4's own sister, the Audi Q4 eTron only costs about $5,000 more.. has a much nicer interior/exterior and optional features like a 10" AR HUD. That said the ID.4's true bargain is that you will not find an EV with that much range, that fast charging, and options like AWD so cheap. You have to start at $48K to get AWD in the Ioniq5 and it will still be the very basic SE trim. From what I've heard the SE trim on the Ioniq5 is extremely disappointing and feels really cheap.. people are recommending the SEL or Limited. Finally, the Hyundai still doesn't get the 3 years of free charging that the ID.4.

I won't bother discussing freezing infotainment systems or other one-off instances.. as things like that have happened to many people using many different EVs. Hell, I've had quite a few times in my Model Y where the entire screen was frozen and the only way to get it back was to park the car and do a full reboot.

The biggest problem anybody is going to find right now searching for a non-Tesla EV is finding one at MSRP. Non-Tesla EV's are generally going to get marked up heavily, especially those that still qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. It only gets increasingly difficult if you also have a trade-in and are searching dealers within driving distance, so you can do the entire transaction at the same dealer and capture additional savings thanks to any trade-in credit. We were very lucky to have found an ID.4 for MSRP at a dealer 25 miles AND that dealer took our trade while also matching Carvana's offer on my wife's 2018 Atlas. Basically gave us an additional $2,000 in tax savings!

Lol. I got sick of waiting for an EV6 or my Mach-E GTPE order or my Model Y order... and found an Ioniq 5. 150 are dropping into Florida over the next two weeks. Crazy availability.

The SE trim is most definitely cheap feeling. ID.4 Pro RWD (base) was also just as cheap with cloth seats and no sunroof, no power liftgate, smaller screen, crap audio, etc. so they are definitely comparable. The Ioniq 5 SE is $4K more but just a tad faster and quieter. The Ioniq 5 has a smaller battery (77 kWh vs. ID.4's 82 kWh) and this hurts the range. To me the SE trim is poor value but the Limited trim at $55K is amazing value for all the features. I still have an ID.4 Pro S Gradient in Kings Red on order that at $51K is not great value compared to Ioniq 5 SEL AWD.

The ID.4 is aimed at the RAV4 (gas) drivers who want their first EV. The Ioniq is more a luxury station wagon replacement to me... closer to a Polestar 2. The lowest trims make no sense of me.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Lol. I got sick of waiting for an EV6 or my Mach-E GTPE order or my Model Y order... and found an Ioniq 5. 150 are dropping into Florida over the next two weeks. Crazy availability.

The SE trim is most definitely cheap feeling. ID.4 Pro RWD (base) was also just as cheap with cloth seats and no sunroof, no power liftgate, smaller screen, crap audio, etc. so they are definitely comparable. The Ioniq 5 SE is $4K more but just a tad faster and quieter. The Ioniq 5 has a smaller battery (77 kWh vs. ID.4's 82 kWh) and this hurts the range. To me the SE trim is poor value but the Limited trim at $55K is amazing value for all the features. I still have an ID.4 Pro S Gradient in Kings Red on order that at $51K is not great value compared to Ioniq 5 SEL AWD.

The ID.4 is aimed at the RAV4 (gas) drivers who want their first EV. The Ioniq is more a luxury station wagon replacement to me... closer to a Polestar 2. The lowest trims make no sense of me.
I'm just sharing what I've read on the r/Ioniq5 subreddit. Their general advice has been to skip the SE trim at all costs, it's just not worth the savings. But hmmm.. I tell you what. I'll look around. If I can score an Ioniq5 SEL AWD for sticker.. I'll take a chance on it for a year. The $7,500 tax credit + profit from selling my MYSR would give me almost $25K worth of incentives to try. And if I ended up disappointed, worst come to worst.. I'm not stuck with it. Just order a new MYP.. which now looks ALOT more attractive since it's been confirmed that all new 2022 MYP's now come with Michelin Pilot AS4's, MCU3 AMD powered infotainment, and Li-ion 12V battery.

I always thought I'd end up selling my MYSR and buying an MYP. But when it came time to make that decision.. I got cold feet as there didn't seem to be enough difference between my 2021 MYSR and MYP's delivered last year.. and all the price increases made the difference a lot larger than originally calculated. The 2021 MYP was also still shipping with Pirelli summer tires on 21" wheels also soured the transaction, which meant I would have to immediately get new tires or buy a second set of wheels/tires just to drive the car right now.

Glad to see everybody stepping up to be as competitive as possible with these 2022 EV choices. Hopefully, when Austin comes online, Telsa will catch up on the backlog and drop the price to make their vehicles a little more competitive with all the newcomers in the mid-size SUV space.

I'm just sharing what I've read on the r/Ioniq5 subreddit. Their general advice has been to skip the SE trim at all costs, it's just not worth the savings. But hmmm.. I tell you what. I'll look around. If I can score an Ioniq5 SEL AWD for sticker.. I'll take a chance on it for a year. The $7,500 tax credit + profit from selling my MYSR would give me almost $25K worth of incentives to try. And if I ended up disappointed, worst come to worst.. I'm not stuck with it. Just order a new MYP.. which now looks ALOT more attractive since it's been confirmed that all new 2022 MYP's now come with Michelin Pilot AS4's, MCU3 AMD powered infotainment, and Li-ion 12V battery.

I always thought I'd end up selling my MYSR and buying an MYP. But when it came time to make that decision.. I got cold feet as there didn't seem to be enough difference between my 2021 MYSR and MYP's delivered last year.. and all the price increases made the difference a lot larger than originally calculated. The 2021 MYP was also still shipping with Pirelli summer tires on 21" wheels also soured the transaction, which meant I would have to immediately get new tires or buy a second set of wheels/tires just to drive the car right now.

Glad to see everybody stepping up to be as competitive as possible with these 2022 EV choices. Hopefully, when Austin comes online, Telsa will catch up on the backlog and drop the price to make their vehicles a little more competitive with all the newcomers in the mid-size SUV space.

Good to see EV competition but Tesla still rules the drivetrain and efficiency numbers. The Ioniq 5 AWD simply is not efficient. Folks are seeing 2.8 to 3.0 mi/kWh on highway speeds (70-75mph). A local Floridian owner gets 3.1 mi/kWh on his new SEL RWD - driving 70mph. This is pretty crappy because even the Mach-E RWD get 3.3 mi/kWh (3.6 mi/kWh or better in city driving). I think the Ioniq 5 RWD efficiency numbers are slightly worse than the ID.4 which was never considered an efficient EV anyhow. The designers prioritized performance and styling over efficiency.

So I enter Ioniq 5 ownership with understanding of it's flaws. The EV6 strangely - is more efficient yet uses the same E-GMP platform. It's shell is more streamlined I guess (lower drag). Who knows how long I will keep the Ioniq 5... depends on what happens with the Mach-E order (rumors of Ford not honoring the old prices) and my Model Y order (I won't take it if it isn't an Austin build or lacks 4860 batteries. Tesla might cancel my order if I delay again).

I'm excited for 2023... my plan is to get the R1S, Fisker, and EV6 GT (not all at once... lol).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Daekwan
At the local Chevy dealer, their two Bolts are stored "in the back" because they can't sell them right now (battery recall). But they are selling a trade-in....for a mere $69K you can have a 2020 MY. Plus tax, paperwork handling fee, fabric protection, doc fee, undercoating, pin striping, VIN etching, tinted windows...?
chevy.jpg

Yes, I forgot the slash: 250 kW/h
*nudge again*... it's kW.

LOL, for someone who likes to correct other people, you sure don't know what you are talking about. there is NO "kW/h", smh. charging rates are measured using kW, it's already a throughput measurement. you don't tag on "/h" to the end of it. you meant to say 250 kWh/h, the h/h cancels out, so you have kW. But I digress.

If you Google something like "Tesla supercharger charging rate", most articles will describe how many miles you can get for say, 15 minutes. That's still the overwhelmingly more intuitive choice of measurement for most people, even Tesla owners. Take a look at the page on charging options on tesla.com. It uses miles/hour exclusivly. Perhaps only a small portion like you who may (or may not) have a technical background, would prefer the capacity (kWh) or energy throughput (kW) side of the units. In other words, vast majority of average people would want to know how many miles can I charge within 15 minutes, instead of how many kWh of energy do I get in 20 minutes of charging? I come from an EE/CS background but still much prefer the former. Of course, you need to adjust based on your geographic location and climate condition, but that has nothing to do with what I said. Here in FL where I live, an 800-1,000 miles/hour charging rate at a supercharger makes sense on a typical day.

Reactions: FumelessCamper
In other words, vast majority of average people would want to know how many miles can I charge within 15 minutes, instead of how many kWh of energy do I get in 20 minutes of charging?
Well, they want an erroneous number that means nothing in their real life - even if they think it does. They will be on here raging about how they don't get the range they were "promised", and I still think that they are being done a disservice every time someone relates a number like that.

Yes, that's what I said, I should have put in the slash to make it kW/h, not just kWh. You're taking a typo far too seriously, especially when I admitted it was a mistake. Would you have been happier if I'd written out "per hour" instead of "/h"?
No, I would not, and that's not what I was doing, LOL. You still don't get it even after you were corrected the 2nd time, there is NO "kW/h"! Your "correcting yourself" is not really correcting at all. Again, kW is the charging throughput (i.e. power) measurement, not kW/h. Power itself already has a "/h" or "/s" dimension built in it, it's "energy over time". Your answer is a perfect demonstration that I'm not "taking a typo far too seriously". I apologize if my tone sounded disrespectful, and that's not my intention.

Just google what's kW and you'll be able to correct your understanding once and for all.

Reactions: xls_ and voxel
Dude, I am pretty sure you have owned every EV made in the past year. Jesus Christ.. ID4.. then Model Y.. then Mach E.. you just got the RAV4 Prime.. and now already waiting for delivery for the Ioniq5!! How are you possibly finding these cars at MSRP? I would sell my Model Y immediately.. if I could find some of these vehicles with exactly the features I wanted at MSRP. Especially those that qualify for the $7,500 tax credit.

The biggest problem anybody is going to find right now searching for a non-Tesla EV is finding one at MSRP. Non-Tesla EV's are having serious supply issues.. and those in-stock & unreserved are generally going to get marked up heavily, especially if they qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. Dont be surprised to see something like a $10K markup on the RAV4 Prime. Locating a non-Tesla EV @ MSRP only gets increasingly difficult if you also have a trade-in and are searching dealers within driving distance, so you can do the entire transaction at the same dealer and capture additional savings thanks to any trade-in credit. We were very lucky to have found an ID.4 for MSRP at a dealer 25 miles AND that dealer took our trade while also matching Carvana's offer on my wife's 2018 Atlas. Basically gave us an additional $2,000 in tax savings!
I am aware of one KIA dealership that is taking pre-orders for EV6 at MSRP. DM if you are interested.

Please send me this info as I'd like one asap. Can't figure out how to DM you which is a bit ironic on a site dedicated to the high tech'est cars. Perhaps it's because I'm a new member.

Check the EV6 forums. There's a dealer in Iowa who is active on those forums and he's taking pre-orders at MSRP and then shipping them.

I'm holding out for a GT in 2023.

Reactions: cu260r6
I test drove the Mach e the other day. It wasn't good. Headroom was much less than model y. The cameras are not high resolution. Software was not refined. Wasn't comfortable or felt high tech at all. Y is way better .. the range on mach e is also laughable.